powabyke

openspaceman

powabyke

Post by openspaceman »

Is there anyone familair with repairs to electrci bikes>

I bought a powabyke for my wife about 15 years ago, she didn't take to it so it got "lent" to a friend. He rode it till the battery died and somehow managed to burn out the charger, it has sat with all the wires hanging out in my shed for a couple of years. I have no intention of replacing the 36V lead acid battery but assume a 36V 10S lithium ion battery with BMS would work? My biggest problem is that the twist grip throttle is missing.

I don't know how I can check out the motor controller without the throttle. I can string three car batteries together to get the 36V to test things and the wheel motor works with just 12V applied and the wheels in the air.. It is an old brush and commutator motor on the front hub.

The thing is it has a sensor on the crank to pick up whether the pedals are used and a speed sensor on the rear wheel to keep it within UK law and I am not clever enough to see how they would connect to a generic motor controller. I have bought a cheap YIYUN controller but wonder if the sensor ports can be negated so I can just test a generic throttle and the motor. For starters I would be happy to just have this being controlled by a throttle and not using the rotation and speed sensors.

Any suggestions where to start?

https://usefulldata.com/yiyun-yk31c-con ... ew-manual/
Morso S11
FIT
16 Sharp PV panels facing WSW 4kW
Solarmax 4200S inverter
Non FIT
3 Canadian solar DC coupled 1.75kW facing SSE
Storage
Growatt SPA3000TL BL inverter ac coupled
Growatt GBLI6532 6.5kWh lithium phosphate battery
Marcus

Re: powabyke

Post by Marcus »

A generic ebike throttle would probably work ok - or a potentiometer for testing, but i am not sure what value they usually use. I imagine anything between 1k ohm and 10k ohm would probably work.

I can't see that controller woring with the pedal sensor or the speed sensor but the bike should work without them.

Only other thing is the brake input to the controller which would normally go to micro switchs on the brake levers - i don't know if it would be normally open or normally closed, but it's not difficult to try it both ways.
450W hydro-electric
5110W pv
1.3kw Wt2 - not yet producing
6kWh lead acid - maybe 1kwh useable
LiMnCo battery made from 2nd hand hybrid car modules 3.6kwh nominal 24v.
300lt hot water tank and two storage heaters
ASHP Grant Aerona 3 10.5kw and UFH
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Have you spoken to powabyke at all?

Powabyke UK Ltd
Gate 1 Trident Works
Temple Cloud Bristol
BS39 5AZ
Tel: 01761 568085
email:- sales@powabyke.com

Frank Curran looks to be still there, so plenty of historical knowledge I bet, (as well as indication of what would likely "work")
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
openspaceman

Post by openspaceman »

Mr Gus wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:51 pm Have you spoken to powabyke at all?
I looked at their prices for conversion and decided the bike wasn't worth spending that much on.
Morso S11
FIT
Solarmax 4200S inverter
Non FIT
Storage
openspaceman

Post by openspaceman »

Marcus wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:16 pm A generic ebike throttle would probably work ok - or a potentiometer for testing, but i am not sure what value they usually use. I imagine anything between 1k ohm and 10k ohm would probably work.

I can't see that controller woring with the pedal sensor or the speed sensor but the bike should work without them.

Only other thing is the brake input to the controller which would normally go to micro switchs on the brake levers - i don't know if it would be normally open or normally closed, but it's not difficult to try it both ways.
I have got a different throttle but the original powabyke one is gone and apparently that worked inversely so it would be back to front so to speak.

I will wire up 36 volts and connect the original motor controller, which I think is U/S first just in case, it's raining now and I only have space outside to sit the bike upside down outside with 3 batterries and a set of jump leads, Friday job as I am working away tomorrow.
Morso S11
FIT
Solarmax 4200S inverter
Non FIT
Storage
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

No, I mean for technical advice as to spares etc for a re-fit, likely they could point you to viable throttle alternatives to try via your own dime seeing as they would likely hold all the schematics.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
chris_n

Post by chris_n »

People on https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/forums ... ussion.16/ will be best placed to help you. There are a number of 'old hands' with experience of brushed motors and their controllers. My experience is with much more modern bikes. https://www.merida-bikes.com/en/bike/27 ... -forty-575 is my current bike.
Living the dream in Austria.
Uk property 3.75kW PV linked to 3kW inverter.