immersun repair -no.3

Stevews

Re: immersun repair -no.3

Post by Stevews »

Fintray wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:35 pm
joeirish wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:14 pm
Stevews wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:47 pm

Hi Joe,

I must admit it wasn’t easy to remove and I accidentally removed the copper eyelets by mistake. I thought I had done irreversible damage but after some research I learnt that you can replace the eyelets, which I did. At the time I was using a soldering iron to heat the solder and desoldering tape to remove the solder. It’s a very tight spot,as you said, and I couldn’t get the angle right which is why I had a problem with removing some of the prongs.

There’s lots of YouTube videos showing you various techniques. As other have said it’s important to practice on a spare PCB.

In the end I purchased a dedicated desoldering gun that sucks the solder into a tube whilst melting the solder at the same time. They aren’t cheap, I think I paid about £60 for mine a few months ago. I’ve since used it to remove other components from other devices so for me it was a worthwhile purchase.

Just be very careful and take your time and don’t force the pins from the PCB, otherwise you will definitely damage the eyelets, that’s how I lost mine.

Here’s a a few pics showing what I mean by eyelets. They look like rivets and are normally made of copper.

When I replaced the T1 Transformer I used a mixed solder 60/40 as it has a lower melting point but be careful as it contains lead. I also used liquid flux which I applied using a syringe type device. It’s more accurate that way. Don’t forget to use isopropyl alcohol to remove any residual flux once you’ve finished soldering.

Have you had any experience with soldering and desoldering?

If I can help in way let me know.

Steve
Hi

Just a final update. I had a friend swap the transformers and just re-connected everything. All working now. It was a real faff remiving the old T1 transformer but he managed it in the end. Thanks for all the help.

Joe
Good to hear that another unit has been repaired rather than binned.
Hi Joe,

Thanks for the update. It’s great that you have managed to restore the Immersun back to life. I know they aren’t easy to work on but it’s definitely worth trying. Well done. Hope it lasts a few more years.
nebularider

Post by nebularider »

Stevews wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:13 am Hi Joeirish,

You are correct, the T1 transformers used in the Immersun Units were made in Italy. I found it impossible to source a replacement anywhere in the UK and after a lot of research I found the following supplier. The link also gives the part number you need. The price for the unit is the same as I paid a few months ago. Postage charges are reasonable and quick.

https://store.open-electronics.org/inde ... -SVL101201

When you desolder the existing T1 transformer just be careful as the prongs are a lot thicker compared to other components and need more heat to remove thr existing solder. Being patient and using the right tools helps a lot.

I hope this helps and resolves your problem. Let us know how you get on.

Steve
Hello everyone! I've just joined the forum after finding this thread which is absolutely amazing. Thanks everyone for sharing your time and knowledge!

I have an Immersun which's been giving me the same 'Error 9' others have experienced. I contacted the 'new' Immersun (conscious that it isn't the same company), who offered me two options – (1) to purchase their updated Immersun for £499; or (2) to have their technician attempt a fix for £199 (no warranty given). They also said their new Immersun "achieves approximately double the annual savings compared to the V2 model (last reports from 2021)", thanks to "improvements in the Trusine surplus power control technology'. This sounds more than a little far fetched, but probably worth the replacement if that estimate is true!

Before I take that road, though, I'd like to attempt to replace the T1 transformer. I tried the link that Joeirish suggested above, but found that they charge €21.76 for delivery to the UK! I know this is still a bargain if I do manage to get the device working again, but a little outrageous nevertheless (considering the value and size of the item). Is this how much others have paid? I've contacted other shops in Italy and also one in the UK which appears to have it (bec.co.uk) – now waiting to hear back... If anyone has any tips on how to get hold of one of these, please do let me know :)

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on the above. I'm hopeful I can follow in the footsteps of others in the forum and get the device working again in time for spring – that'd be a big win!
Swwils

Post by Swwils »

Strange choice for measurement transformer.

There will be an equivalent at mouser or farnell.

Even with that deliver fee that's probably a good price.
Last edited by Swwils on Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tinbum

Post by Tinbum »

nebularider wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:25 pm thanks to "improvements in the Trusine surplus power control technology'. This sounds more than a little far fetched,
Sounds a load of B******t to me.
85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, 8kWh Growatt storage, 22 x US3000C Pylontech, Sofar ME3000's, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW
Stevews

Post by Stevews »

nebularider wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:25 pm
Stevews wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:13 am Hi Joeirish,

You are correct, the T1 transformers used in the Immersun Units were made in Italy. I found it impossible to source a replacement anywhere in the UK and after a lot of research I found the following supplier. The link also gives the part number you need. The price for the unit is the same as I paid a few months ago. Postage charges are reasonable and quick.

https://store.open-electronics.org/inde ... -SVL101201

When you desolder the existing T1 transformer just be careful as the prongs are a lot thicker compared to other components and need more heat to remove thr existing solder. Being patient and using the right tools helps a lot.

I hope this helps and resolves your problem. Let us know how you get on.

Steve
Hello everyone! I've just joined the forum after finding this thread which is absolutely amazing. Thanks everyone for sharing your time and knowledge!

I have an Immersun which's been giving me the same 'Error 9' others have experienced. I contacted the 'new' Immersun (conscious that it isn't the same company), who offered me two options – (1) to purchase their updated Immersun for £499; or (2) to have their technician attempt a fix for £199 (no warranty given). They also said their new Immersun "achieves approximately double the annual savings compared to the V2 model (last reports from 2021)", thanks to "improvements in the Trusine surplus power control technology'. This sounds more than a little far fetched, but probably worth the replacement if that estimate is true!

Before I take that road, though, I'd like to attempt to replace the T1 transformer. I tried the link that Joeirish suggested above, but found that they charge €21.76 for delivery to the UK! I know this is still a bargain if I do manage to get the device working again, but a little outrageous nevertheless (considering the value and size of the item). Is this how much others have paid? I've contacted other shops in Italy and also one in the UK which appears to have it (bec.co.uk) – now waiting to hear back... If anyone has any tips on how to get hold of one of these, please do let me know :)

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on the above. I'm hopeful I can follow in the footsteps of others in the forum and get the device working again in time for spring – that'd be a big win!
Hi,

I know the delivery price might seem a bit excessive for an €8 item but I wanted to make absolutely sure I was buying an identical part. I paid the €21 delivery charge and I received the package just a couple of days later. They are very quick and reliable.

I also tried Bec.co.Uk and they quoted £15.95 for the T1 transformer and £9.95 for postal costs. What put me off was they wouldn’t except a credit card payment or PayPal etc. They wanted a bank transfer only. That sounded very suspicious especially when I pointed out they had the Visa and Mastercard payments on their website. When I challenged this he said (John Dodds) that he would then accept cash in the post. What idiot would do that? On that basis I stopped replying to the emails and went ahead with the order from store.open-electronics.org

You could try and find an alternative elsewhere but there were too many variables for my peace of mind.

Personally I wouldn’t recommend sending off the unit for repair, not for £199 especially if they don’t offer any guarantees. Likewise I would not recommend buying a new device from them for £500. They claim it’s twice as sufficient sounds like a marketing ploy to me, without any hard facts to back it up. If you do need a new unit then I would recommend the Eddi V2 with built in Wifi. Its made by the same company that produced and manufactured the original Immersun.

It’s very likely a new T1 Transformer will fix your issue. Take a chance and save yourself a few quid and help save the planet.

Good luck.

Let us know how you get on.

Steve
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Whilst that is dodgy practice for an electrical wholesalers!? ..I should remind folk, many chinese takeaways operate on cash only / bank transfer to avoud charges & stay afloat with maybe an extra 5% on the day compared to bank / credit card charges.

Turbulent times as we know!

For immersun, ask them for the empirical data as it is a pretty ballsy claim to make (politely put) where is the evidence on there website that gives a true comparison? ..if i'm a proud, reputable designer & manufacturer, I wouldn't lose the opportunity to wow a customer & maybe make a sale / have some brewing by means of word of mouth advertising.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
nebularider

Post by nebularider »

Thank you Stevews – interesting to see that you went through basically the same journey as myself! I even got a very similar reply from the bec.co.uk chap (the same one), only by now his price has gone up to £19.50. I didn't even get as far as getting a quote for delivery, but if it's the same £9.95 he quoted for you, that'd cost more than ordering from Italy anyway! So that's what I'll do – will keep the forum posted on how it goes :)

Mr Gus – I've pinged Immersun again and asked for the data around the 'double the annual savings' claim. I doubt they'll be sharing that, but you never know...
AGT

Post by AGT »

Would be good for anyone in the future to get the resistances of the primaries and secondary windings.
In case it saves someone a lot of grief later
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Good one Neb(ularider) ..if you boast, back it up with fact ..we wait & hopefully learn in the meantime.
Welcome to the forum.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Tinbum

Post by Tinbum »

It seems the reason it's hard to find a replacement is the secondary voltage being 2.5v which is a bit unique from what I can see. Footprint looks standard.
85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, 8kWh Growatt storage, 22 x US3000C Pylontech, Sofar ME3000's, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW