immersun repair -no.3

AGT

Re: immersun repair -no.3

Post by AGT »

Personally I would use external contactors and use the internal relays to only switch the coils of the external contactors

However I have been accused of making things complicated 😀
AGT

Post by AGT »

Tinbum wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 7:50 pm It seems the reason it's hard to find a replacement is the secondary voltage being 2.5v which is a bit unique from what I can see. Footprint looks standard.

The link that one of the transformers advises it’s 10volta with the 2 secondaries in series. Not 2.5 as above?
Tinbum

Post by Tinbum »

AGT wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:20 am
Tinbum wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 7:50 pm It seems the reason it's hard to find a replacement is the secondary voltage being 2.5v which is a bit unique from what I can see. Footprint looks standard.
The link that one of the transformers advises it’s 10volta with the 2 secondaries in series. Not 2.5 as above?

I'm not sure how the pcb connects to it. I can see on one I have that the 7.5v pins are connected but I can't tell if the 2.5v are without removing it from the pcb. I can't see any transformers that have 7.5v secondary, though I can find ones with 2 x 8v.

eg https://uk.farnell.com/block/vb-1-5-2-8 ... dp/1711403
85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, 8kWh Growatt storage, 22 x US3000C Pylontech, Sofar ME3000's, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW
Tony1tf

Post by Tony1tf »

New to this forum, having just installed a second hand Immersun unit. Noting this long thread about the voltage monitoring transformer, I did some research and found something useful on eBay at a good price. Although the base layout of the transformer on this module looks different from the one in the Immersun, I'm sure that a few links would do the job, even if the transformer had to sit outside the unit. Has anyone used one of these:
Tony

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195206052050
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Welcome to the forum Tony, hopefully someone will be along to answer your question.
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
MattWolf

Post by MattWolf »

Morning all,
I picked up a broken, for parts Immersun recently. Opened it up to find the famous exploded varistor! I replaced that and the associated triac. A successful repair it seems. :) It booted up, ran it's self tests and started working, well for about 3 hours anyway!
Seems like the magic smoke escaped again, the varistor again but this time it's taken one of the big black 5uf capacitors as well.

Where do I get one? Spent 2 days looking and I can only find them in bulk with a 13 week lead time, so unless there is an alternative part or I am looking in the wrong place it's going in the bin.

Help please.
Thanks, Matt.
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Welcome to covid in pause mode world of "eek-onomics"

Try putting up a post in the wanted / for sale section, it may be a slim chance, but... (other lurkers with immersuns may be around) that & the site footprint from google bot trawls etc.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

MattWolf wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 8:18 am Morning all,
I picked up a broken, for parts Immersun recently. Opened it up to find the famous exploded varistor! I replaced that and the associated triac. A successful repair it seems. :) It booted up, ran it's self tests and started working, well for about 3 hours anyway!
Seems like the magic smoke escaped again, the varistor again but this time it's taken one of the big black 5uf capacitors as well.

Where do I get one? Spent 2 days looking and I can only find them in bulk with a 13 week lead time, so unless there is an alternative part or I am looking in the wrong place it's going in the bin.

Help please.
Thanks, Matt.
Hi Matt,
It does sound like the 1st immersun repair i did. IIRC it was the failure of the big black 5uF on the input side that causes the varistor and triac to destruct.

From memory i got the replacement from one of the big suppliers (farnell/rs/mouser/digikey) - i definitely ordered just one - but it'll have to wait til i fire up the computer this evening for me to see what i ordered and from where...
450W hydro-electric
5110W pv
1.3kw Wt2 - not yet producing
6kWh lead acid - maybe 1kwh useable
LiMnCo battery made from 2nd hand hybrid car modules 3.6kwh nominal 24v.
300lt hot water tank and two storage heaters
ASHP Grant Aerona 3 10.5kw and UFH
MattWolf

Post by MattWolf »

Hi Matt,
It does sound like the 1st immersun repair i did. IIRC it was the failure of the big black 5uF on the input side that causes the varistor and triac to destruct.

From memory i got the replacement from one of the big suppliers (farnell/rs/mouser/digikey) - i definitely ordered just one - but it'll have to wait til i fire up the computer this evening for me to see what i ordered and from where...
Farnell, completely forgot about them! Think I have found it, typical the postage costs more than the part!

Should I replace both the 5uf capacitors? or just the one that has spat all it's contents out??

Thanks.
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

MattWolf wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 4:25 pm
Hi Matt,

Farnell, completely forgot about them! Think I have found it, typical the postage costs more than the part!

Should I replace both the 5uf capacitors? or just the one that has spat all it's contents out??

Thanks.
Personally I would replace all the electrolytics.
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf