Octopus re-powering old wind turbines

Wind turbines
nowty

Re: Octopus re-powering old wind turbines

Post by nowty »

Joeboy wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:27 am
Stinsy wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:31 am Could you do this with solar?

Replace an old 4kWp array with 6kWp and only claim FiT payments on 2/3rds of the generation?
That is a great idea. I thought most connections were limited to the 3.68kW inverter output to grid? It would be great if people could simply retro fit 50% more for self use.
It was 4kWp of panels after (lengthy legal disputes) for the max rate, thereafter dropping in rate. But the scheme was changed later on so a higher amount (maybe 10kWp, I cannot remember) was included in the highest rate band.
15.2kW PV > 101MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 19MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

If domestic generation, is there likely to be an issue with the increased amount of current being offered to the local grid? or through your connection? Or are you just thinking of trying to store more in the shoulder months, and accept that it will stall in summer?
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:36 am If domestic generation, is there likely to be an issue with the increased amount of current being offered to the local grid? or through your connection? Or are you just thinking of trying to store more in the shoulder months, and accept that it will stall in summer?
A
Limited by the inverter export limitations to grid and as you rightly say, will shutdown in Summer once all full at home.
It is an interesting one as there are already hundreds of thousands of homes who took that first step. So likely to want to do more?
16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Mart

Post by Mart »

Stinsy wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:31 am Could you do this with solar?

Replace an old 4kWp array with 6kWp and only claim FiT payments on 2/3rds of the generation?
Yes. At least that's the confirmation I have had from EDF (my FiT provider). So if you up the panels, or add additional panels, you need to tell them what the new Wp is, and they will apportion generation accordingly. So in your example, you'd provide the new (higher) generation figure, and they'd pay based on apportioning at 4:6 or 2/3rds.

But, double and triple check this, and get written (e-mail) confirmation from the FiT provider, as the advice and guidance is mixed, and highly confusing.
3.58kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV.
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
nowty

Post by nowty »

Here you go, I found the OFGEM Decision on replacement generating equipment, published late last year.

Don't ask me to explain it, I think its meant to be not very clear, but I believe it does sort of allow it.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/sites/default/ ... 122021.pdf
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
Mart

Post by Mart »

Many thanks Nowty, that's something I've been wrestling with for years giving advice to PV'ers on the MSE site. Most are/were convinced that any change to the capacity would invalidate FiTs, rather than result in apportioning.

This may seem silly, but your post has clarified an issue causing much debate and concern, for nearly a decade.

So, thanks again, and I take back what I said about your numberplate. :o
3.58kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV.
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
Ken

Post by Ken »

If you add additional PV can you do this on a seperate inverter or will this make for a battle of the inverters to establish the voltage? Ie one inverter establishes a voltage greater than grid in order to export but the other inverter sees this and increases its voltage to a higher value and so on.
nowty

Post by nowty »

Ken wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:20 pm If you add additional PV can you do this on a seperate inverter or will this make for a battle of the inverters to establish the voltage? Ie one inverter establishes a voltage greater than grid in order to export but the other inverter sees this and increases its voltage to a higher value and so on.
Yes it works fine, subject to the usual DNO rules.
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3