Part ownership of a Ripple Wind Turbine, fancy it?

Wind turbines
nowty

Re: Part ownership of a Wind Turbine, fancy it?

Post by nowty »

CrofterMannie wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:07 pm FYI Farr windfarm is an older generation of turbine (commissioned in 2006).
Last year they applied for planning permission to extend operations from 25 to 35 years and they are expecting to operate for the additional 10 years without any significant upgrades.

If a bunch of creaky old turbines can do 35 years they you would hope that your shiny new ones could too.
Excellent, with a bit of luck most of us will be dead by the time they stop working. ;)
16.9kW PV > 103MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 20MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 500 m3
nowty

Post by nowty »

Well even I am stumped now, but I am sure their finance director will clarify.

From the WT1 share document,
From a tax perspective the trading benefit (but not the repayment of share capital) is treated as interest. It will count towards your annual interest allowance, which means you may need to declare it as part of your tax return.

From the WT2 share document,
Current legislation provides taxpayers £1,000 as trading allowance which may be available to members to reduce any potential tax liability. Since savings will be paid gross, it will be the individual responsibility of members to declare this income as interest on their tax returns if they are required to do so. Applicants should consider obtaining professional tax advice if they are unsure of their position.

And there are two separate £1000 allowances,
Interest
https://www.gov.uk/apply-tax-free-interest-on-savings

Trading
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/tax-free-al ... ing-income

EDIT - I think its all classed as interest as the trading thing seems to be about buying and selling stuff, i.e. doing individual trades.

EDIT2 - There is also another bit in the WT2 share document saying, "(considered as interest for tax purposes)"

So I think the words "trading allowance" in appendix 5 for WT2 is badly worded.
Last edited by nowty on Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
16.9kW PV > 103MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 20MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 500 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:22 pm
CrofterMannie wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:07 pm FYI Farr windfarm is an older generation of turbine (commissioned in 2006).
Last year they applied for planning permission to extend operations from 25 to 35 years and they are expecting to operate for the additional 10 years without any significant upgrades.

If a bunch of creaky old turbines can do 35 years they you would hope that your shiny new ones could too.
Excellent, with a bit of luck most of us will be dead by the time they stop working. ;)
No reason why these units cannot run for 35 years and then hopefully be fitted with whatever superduper turbines they have then. The concrete, masts and access road will all continue to have value as will the cables.
18.2kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

This on the dashboard.

'Incorrect watts showing for people who paid in instalments

2/14/2022
If you paid for shares in Kirk Hill via instalments, the watts showing on your dashboard may be incorrect. Don't worry, your payments are correct. You have only been charged for the watts you requested. Our tech team is working on the issue now. Your dashboard should show the correct number of watts shortly. We're really sorry for the error. We're really pleased to have you on board.'
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Post removed
Last edited by Moxi on Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Post removed
Last edited by Moxi on Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TCA

Post by TCA »

nowty wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:39 pm Well even I am stumped now, but I am sure their finance director will clarify.

From the WT1 share document,
From a tax perspective the trading benefit (but not the repayment of share capital) is treated as interest. It will count towards your annual interest allowance, which means you may need to declare it as part of your tax return.

From the WT2 share document,
Current legislation provides taxpayers £1,000 as trading allowance which may be available to members to reduce any potential tax liability. Since savings will be paid gross, it will be the individual responsibility of members to declare this income as interest on their tax returns if they are required to do so. Applicants should consider obtaining professional tax advice if they are unsure of their position.

And there are two separate £1000 allowances,
Interest
https://www.gov.uk/apply-tax-free-interest-on-savings

Trading
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/tax-free-al ... ing-income

EDIT - I think its all classed as interest as the trading thing seems to be about buying and selling stuff, i.e. doing individual trades.

EDIT2 - There is also another bit in the WT2 share document saying, "(considered as interest for tax purposes)"

So I think the words "trading allowance" in appendix 5 is badly worded.
Just got a reply from the FD. In summary, they don't know how the 'trading benefit' will be treated, but it is definitely taxable and will be reported annually by Ripple to HMRC if over £15. So it could be interest income or it could be self-employed income. Ripple are looking to open a dialogue with HMRC.

I have to say I'm not overly impressed with that, given WT1 is all but up and running. I'd have thought tax treatment of co-op member income would be one of the first things you'd want clarified if there was any uncertainty.
Mojomal

Post by Mojomal »

I was just going to purchase some more watts and noticed on the Dashboard that my original 1st year wind farm savings for my 4,000 kWh has reduced to £212 from £380 (9.5p kWh down to 5.3p kWh). They made great hype back on the 14th January that the savings would increase to 9.5p kWh from 4.5p kWh. has anybody else noticed this. I have sent a message to Ripple questioning this and am waiting a reply, normally there is somebody online in the evenings to answer questions but not today. You would have thought that they would have announced this reduction especially today. Or could it be genuine mistake.
Malc.
20 x 58 tube Solar Thermal Myenergi Eddie 200 l cylinder
3.9 kW solar PV SMA
3.1 kW solar PV Solar edge
Tesla Powerwall 2
1500W Craig Fatha
640W Kirk Hill
EV 83.9 kWh and Zappi
Clearview woodburner and chainsaw
Keeper of bees for 48 years
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Mojomal wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:17 pm I was just going to purchase some more watts and noticed on the Dashboard that my original 1st year wind farm savings for my 4,000 kWh has reduced to £212 from £380 (9.5p kWh down to 5.3p kWh). They made great hype back on the 14th January that the savings would increase to 9.5p kWh from 4.5p kWh. has anybody else noticed this. I have sent a message to Ripple questioning this and am waiting a reply, normally there is somebody online in the evenings to answer questions but not today. You would have thought that they would have announced this reduction especially today. Or could it be genuine mistake.
Malc.
Interested to hear the outcome Malc. I thought the contract for year 1 from Ripple wt1 was locked in with Octopus already?
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
ecogeorge

Post by ecogeorge »

Spreadsheet just in time Stinsy ........
1250 watts purchased -100% of useage.....
Now to concentrate on reducing useage............
George
1750w Vertical PV micro inverters
3800w almost horizontal/south
Aarrow Becton 7 Woodburner
Dream 3kw ASHP only connected to summer Pool.
Allotment heavy clay.
1.784kw Kirk Hill
0.875kw Derril Water
0.2kwWhitelaw Brae
1kw Harlow Hydro.