Part ownership of a Ripple Wind Turbine, fancy it?

Wind turbines
Mr Gus

Re: Part ownership of a Wind Turbine, fancy it?

Post by Mr Gus »

Cheers Joe, I'll finish rattling through the pages tonight & with nowtys summation all should be good.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Adokforme

Post by Adokforme »

Thanks for that Nowty. As you say it's almost identical to WT1, apart from the slight increase in output/W. Being content with their first offering I've grabbed our share to keep just under the 7000 kWh's total as well.
Having gone from a single turbine to eight I'm mightily impressed with Ripples ambition. No lack of confidence it would seem!
We've just got to trust there are sufficient numbers of community spirited, financially stable soles within the UK willing to take part and bring it to a successful conclusion.
I find it heartening to have entrepreneurs seeking to do good for the ordinary and less well off folk of our nation, alongside their own financial well being of course. But quite some risk taking exercise on their part all the same.
On any list of businesses deserving to succeed, then surely Sarah Merrick and Ripple must have a case for claiming the top spot!
Mojomal

Post by Mojomal »

I got this reply back from Ripple this afternoon.

Tom Carr (Ripple Energy)

15 Feb 2022, 15:04 GMT

Hi Malcolm,

Thanks for your message.

The wholesale price at which your energy is exported is fixed and then reviewed annually - for both projects.

This has not yet been fixed in for the next project, but currently the Graig Fatha exportation rate is higher at 9.5p/kWh, than the forecasted wholesale price for the second project. However, the exportation rate will be locked in for the second project nearer to the project going live, expected to be December 2023.

Savings from Graig Fatha at the moment will be higher than the forecasts for the second project as things stand.

I hope this helps but do let us know if you have any other questions.

Many thanks,

Tom

Although he tries to explain, he doesn't really answer my question which was "why does my dashboard farm savings" for 4,000 kWh for WT1 show £212 savings now where before it was £380.

I replied asking again about the "dashboard" figures.

Me thinks that its probably a website software issue or Ripple internal issues, something isn't quite right and it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. I'm sure that they are more then committed to the projects and are doing there best and I will be purchasing extra shares for my daughter and ourselves shortly.

I'm not sure they will be able to raise the 20 odd million they are looking for WT2! Why on earth are they looking at 8 turbines? I hope they manage it.

Malc.
20 x 58 tube Solar Thermal Myenergi Eddie 200 l cylinder
3.9 kW solar PV SMA
3.1 kW solar PV Solar edge
Tesla Powerwall 2
1500W Craig Fatha
640W Kirk Hill
EV 83.9 kWh and Zappi
Clearview woodburner and chainsaw
Keeper of bees for 48 years
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

I am surprised by
The wholesale price at which your energy is exported is fixed and then reviewed annually - for both projects.

This has not yet been fixed in for the next project, but currently the Graig Fatha exportation rate is higher at 9.5p/kWh
I thought the returns were based on the amount delivered from hour to hour and the wholesale price which applied during the actual export?
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:26 pm I am surprised by

This has not yet been fixed in for the next project, but currently the Graig Fatha exportation rate is higher at 9.5p/kWh
I thought the returns were based on the amount delivered from hour to hour and the wholesale price which applied during the actual export?
A
Ditto.
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
nowty

Post by nowty »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:26 pm I am surprised by

A
No because that's what you would pay for a guaranteed supply at a particular time which recently have been as high as several pounds a kWh.

Its a 12 month fixed price power purchase agreement, no guarantee how much your going to get or when your getting it, but you roughly know on average, so you agree a fixed price. Ripple have said they could have gone for a 3 year deal but the price would have been much lower as prices are forecast to fall over the next couple of years.

The year ahead prices are are around 12p per kWh (wholesale price being only half the actual retail price once you add the levies, network costs and tax), so the power will be sold to Octopus for say 2.5p per kWh.

The 2.5p pays the Coop for its operating cost of running the turbine, and the difference between the market 12p and 2.5p which is 9.5p is given to ripple shareholders as a rebate on their bills.

Please don't take these as the actual numbers, but I am tying to illustrate how the mechanism works.
16.9kW PV > 103MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 20MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 500 m3
John_S

Post by John_S »

I have today applied for enough watts to bring my expected annual kWhs to 120% * 6999.

If asked, I can produce at least one electricity bill where the kWhs consumed during the month multiplied by 12 is greater than 7,000. Should suffice although it is possible that I might not sustain that level of consumption throughout the year.

I now won't be able to participate in any further projects by Ripple because of their watts cap.

I hope that Ripple can sell enough shares to raise their £25m target. I think that it will be a challenge to find over 14,000 investors to stump up £1,700 each (to cover the average electricity consumption).

John
TCA

Post by TCA »

The income tax exemption for feed-in-tariff payments for domestic micro-generation (like solar PV) is based on a maximum of 120% of actual home electricity consumption. So Ripple have followed this example, hoping that the income co-op members receive doesn't fall into a business category and become taxable. Although I don't think they have received specific advice from HMRC in this respect, seeing as guidance as to the tax treatment of any non-return-of-capital savings hasn't been given.
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Point is that this is a way to encourage another big step in lower / zero carbon, so the government really need to get their heads together & ringfence it, schemes like this which don't necessarily need many thousands per person are few & far between.

So when will they?
Who in politics is bigging Ripple up?
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
TCA

Post by TCA »

John_S wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:45 am I hope that Ripple can sell enough shares to raise their £25m target. I think that it will be a challenge to find over 14,000 investors to stump up £1,700 each (to cover the average electricity consumption).
I just received a reminder email:

"We'd like to remind you that your reservation of 900 watts in Kirk Hill Wind Farm will lapse at midnight Sunday 20th February. On Monday we opened the share offer for those that had reserved. So far over 1600 people have become owners of the wind farm. Along with the co-investor, this means that the wind farm is well over 40% full already!"