UK Wind Record

Wind turbines
Ken

Re: UK Wind Record

Post by Ken »

I wonder why Octopus Agile did not reflect the overnight negative prices. Are they abandoning Agile and using cheap stuff to pay for Octopus Go overnight.
Oliver90owner

Post by Oliver90owner »

I would be addressing that question to the supplier, if you want the truth.
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Maybe Octopus are seeing the huge losses they’ve been making over the last few months and are trying to make more margin. The problem with the secret nature of the pricing algorithm is that it gives them the opportunity to change it…
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Ken wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:35 am The No1 concern of the Nat Grid is reliabity of supply and i am sure they have a scenario for every occurence remembering its the sudden and unexplained failure that can literally cause a black out. To this end they will ensure that there is enough "spinning reserve" inerant in generators spinning and thus haveing stored energy. This energy is not available to any degree in wind and sun and so a certain amount of gas and sometimes coal have to be kept on the supply sometimes subsidised. The NT has recently fitted some synchronous generators which do not produce leccy but just store energy and this will relieve some of the spinning reserve. It is also thought that batts may be able to do this function as well but not yet proved.

This stored energy allows milliseconds for other actions to take place and pevent the frquency dropping out of range and tripping automatic trips and ultimately local blackouts.

A lot of this is going on in Australia where they dictate a min amount of dispatchable power (coal and gas) on the grid and curtail significant amounts of RE

No where near as simple as people first think
Nice one Ken, I like the idea of synchronous generators. I suppose we will be needing a lot more storage as we go forward. I really liked the hot rock storage solution as shown on here a month or so ago. Low cost , low tech. Seems too crazy to be going to all the trouble of WT'ing the land and sea then curtail them. Deep, inexpensive storage needed.

https://www.rechargenews.com/energy-tra ... -1-1061093
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Tinbum

Post by Tinbum »

Ken wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:35 am The NT has recently fitted some synchronous generators which do not produce leccy but just store energy and this will relieve some of the spinning reserve.
I remember a friend of mine telling me many years ago about a similar thing for the backup of a police station or its communication system. It was a massive flywheel that spun all the time and then used that momentum to keep everything going during a power cut.
85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, 8kWh Growatt storage, 22 x US3000C Pylontech, Sofar ME3000's, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Tinbum wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:57 pm
Ken wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:35 am The NT has recently fitted some synchronous generators which do not produce leccy but just store energy and this will relieve some of the spinning reserve.
I remember a friend of mine telling me many years ago about a similar thing for the backup of a police station or its communication system. It was a massive flywheel that spun all the time and then used that momentum to keep everything going during a power cut.
The flywheel would probably have been to keep the supply smooth for the computers while power was switched to/from generator/grid...
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
nowty

Post by nowty »

Highest I saw yesterday was about 15.6GW on https://energynumbers.info/gbgrid (includes an estimate unmetered wind)

So about 2.5GW less than record, so as I expected wind was almost certainly curtailed.

We need a cold weekday with the wind peaking at around 6pm to break the record, OR find a way to use up the surplus power to stop wind being curtailed OR find a way to replicate a LOT of spinning reserve with batteries to drop the gas generation to near zero.

NOTE - The chart below does not include estimate of unmetered wind so only needs to hit about 14.3GW for it to be a record so the wind resource was probably there but not the demand.

16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
nowty

Post by nowty »

I think a potential wind record tomorrow (Fri 26th Nov),

Its getting colder, its a weekday and the peak is coinciding with max demand at 6pm. Only caveat is that Friday may not be the best weekday for max demand, but I reckon its going to be close.

The scores on the doors to look for are around 14.2 GW on gridwatch and 18 GW on energy numbers.

https://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk (does not include unmetered wind)

https://energynumbers.info/gbgrid (includes an estimate unmetered wind)
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
nowty

Post by nowty »

Latest wind forecast, out-turn still increasing but still lagging the forecast and we are still 2 or 3 GW away from the record.

5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

There's a howling gale here at the moment, but energynumbers only shows wind at 9.8 GW, less than gas. Are our generators shut down for safety, or are they being "curtailed?"
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!