UK Wind + Interconnectors = Net Zero?

Wind turbines
Stinsy

Re: UK Wind + Interconnectors = Net Zero?

Post by Stinsy »

Bugtownboy wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:14 pm Anyone know our current potential capability for wind and solar generation ? Just the commercial stuff.
The records for both are:
  • Solar 9.7GW
  • Wind 17.6GW
I guess the actual installed capacity will be above this...
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

UK is targeting 40GW of Offshore Wind nameplate capacity by 2030.
There is a "pipeline" of some 17GW of solar PV in planning, with UK seemingly installing about 1GWp/year, so that takes us out quite a few years.
I can find no similar information of onshore wind as the Tory Govt basically killed onshore wind development in favour of off-shore.

So there's a lot planned. Is it enough? No idea. Is it quick enough? Probably not.
Would be interesting to find out about planned storage projects - both pumped hydro, but also grid-scale batteries.
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

For us lot storage is bad. We like the wild price fluctuations with our batteries and storage heaters...
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Stinsy wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:08 pm For us lot storage is bad. We like the wild price fluctuations with our batteries and storage heaters...
Some of us haven't got panels (yet!)
However what we all really want is someone to reset the market so that storage becomes as viable as generation, which would stop generated or potentially-generated electricity being turned off, i.e captured carbon-replacing energy going to waste.
What chance?
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

dan_b wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:04 pm UK is targeting 40GW of Offshore Wind nameplate capacity by 2030.
There is a "pipeline" of some 17GW of solar PV in planning, with UK seemingly installing about 1GWp/year, so that takes us out quite a few years.
I can find no similar information of onshore wind as the Tory Govt basically killed onshore wind development in favour of off-shore.

So there's a lot planned. Is it enough? No idea. Is it quick enough? Probably not.
Would be interesting to find out about planned storage projects - both pumped hydro, but also grid-scale batteries.
Gut feeling, because I can’t do the maths, is that it feels ball park - if there’s adequate, and appropriate, storage.

But is that the elephant in the room ?
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Bugtownboy wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:31 pm
dan_b wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:04 pm UK is targeting 40GW of Offshore Wind nameplate capacity by 2030.

and the other non-battery storage technologies currently under development: e.g. Liquid air (or something like it) at Carrington, plus I would love to see the compressed-air/water filled reinforced concrete cylinders at the bottom of Loch Ness - near where there is a surplus of generation so the grid should like it on windless days.
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Mart

Post by Mart »

Hopefully we'll get an idea after the CfD auctions in Dec(?) now that PV and on-shore wind have been allowed back in (cough - Tory u-turn - cough), and I think the off-shore CfD doesn't have a capacity cap, but a budget cap, so the cheaper the bids, the more we could see.

Roughly, we seem to be displacing 3.5% of generation pa with RE, which is great, but we do still have ~40% FF and 20% ageing nuclear, so assuming HPC comes online this decade, we still have ~50% or 15yrs to meet that demand, before considering transport and space heating, which could double demand.

And there's the issue of storage now that excess RE generation is starting to become large enough, and regular enough to consider sizeable storage options.

So too many moving targets, but I'd suggest our roll out of RE isn't fast enough, but the good news is that as costs fall we get more bang for our buck, and the subsidies go much further, such as the subsidy element of the latest off-shore wind contracts with a strike price of £47, probably allows for ~10x the generation that the earlier contracts at £164 did.

So much change happening, and it's a lot of fun to watch.
3.58kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV.
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

Recent article on Hinkley C -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-58724732

This years low RE output is going to do one of two things - encourage more RE deployment or encourage regression to the comfort of burning stuff.
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

Interesting thing about HinkleyC is that with gas prices the way they are now, their strike price/MWh of electricity now doesn't look all that bad!

I've been reading that the UK Government is lobbying VERY hard at the moment to get EDF interested in the currently mothballed idea to do a new nuclear build at Wylfa as part of the ongoing wranglings over a new funding model for the proposed Sizewell C site which look like they are about to be confirmed - keep an eye out for announcements...
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Wonder what we could achieve in offshore govt invested Wind turbines for that Nuclear site build cash the taxpayer is expected to fork over in perpetuity.

I know which i'd prefer that is not also deemed a terrorism target site & all the additional funding / associated disposal costs that lot requires.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more