UK Wind Record

Wind turbines
Joeboy

Re: UK Wind Record

Post by Joeboy »

Stinsy wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:18 am
Ken wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:00 am Mart,
Agree with you there.
I have a sneaky suspicion that the oil/gas industry is far more inefficient and polluting than is realised (aka dieselgate) and that to get rid of all that pollution etc is by far the biggest prize. Remember it takes 6kwh to get a gallon of fuel to the petrol pumps- 24mls in a EV but no one sums up the devastation caused both at the time eg spillages and flaring, and what they leave behind eg thousands of oil wells leaking methane
Ken
^this!

The FF industry is no-doubt way more polluting that is quantified or even quantifiable. All the little spills, leaks, non-ideal conditions, etc., together with all the "not counted" parts, add up to a horrendous picture.
If you knew 1/10th of it you would throw up.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Mart

Post by Mart »

Ken wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:00 am Mart,
Agree with you there.
I have a sneaky suspicion that the oil/gas industry is far more inefficient and polluting than is realised (aka dieselgate) and that to get rid of all that pollution etc is by far the biggest prize. Remember it takes 6kwh to get a gallon of fuel to the petrol pumps- 24mls in a EV but no one sums up the devastation caused both at the time eg spillages and flaring, and what they leave behind eg thousands of oil wells leaking methane
Ken
100% mate, in fact don't start me on a rant, but we have fugitive emissions of methane in the US shale industry high enough to make the move to gas actually worse in CO2(e) emissions than coal for AGW, and a recent study finding that over 40% of shipping by weight is fuel to be burnt (coal, gas, oil and some bio-mass), so expanding RE leccy generation could solve ~40% of shipping emissions too, as a side effect. Talk about a virtuous circle.
8.7kWp PV [2.12kWp SSW + 4.61kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV]
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
20kWh Battery storage.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Just watched gridwatch wind go from 9.98GWh to 10.12GWh in the couple of minutes while explaining the advantage of a split grid/offgrid pv system to SWMBO. She is becoming dangerously knowledgeable now.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

I see 1.5 GW of coal at the moment, presumably gas is so valuable that it's worth selling on rather than using it here in the UK?
Pumped hydro doing nothing (again) though. I would have thought they would have pumped water uphill last night (windy weekend) and let it down when the daytime demand arrived. Maybe it is being saved for this evening...
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
nowty

Post by nowty »

There is talk from various news sources saying that we had a wind record from Storm Malik on Saturday, but I don't think there has been an official announcement yet. Pretty obvious that finally we have a new record, but need to wait to hear the final official scores on the doors. :D

https://www.energylivenews.com/2022/01/ ... rs-the-uk/
National Grid ESO said: “Today saw the most wind ever on Great Britain’s electricity system with a provisional record of 19.5GW of wind power.”

https://www.businessgreen.com/news/4044 ... ion-record
The electricity system operator said that 19.5GW of wind power was generated on Saturday, noting that the all-time high marked a "milestone" in the British grid's progress towards zero carbon emissions.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... torm-malik
The new wind generation record bettered a high recorded last year when the gusty May bank holiday weekend recorded 17.6GW.

Nowty says - I think the previous record was actually 17.7GW. :evil:
https://camelot-forum.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... 8&t=17#p49
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Wind on fens edge is 26mph today a good start to the month for RE
(knocking bins over)

How is it further north?
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Mr Gus wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:41 pm Wind on fens edge is 26mph today a good start to the month for RE
(knocking bins over)

How is it further north?
It's blowing a hoolie but just the normal today. Great to see 14.3GW on gridwatch. Wouldn't mind getting a little anemometer setup...forecast has it around 24mph here.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Out of interest Joeboy while the weather is decidedly fresh up your way has it in any way shape or form coerced your lantern turnip to produce anything ?

Moxi
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Moxi wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:28 pm Out of interest Joeboy while the weather is decidedly fresh up your way has it in any way shape or form coerced your lantern turnip to produce anything ?

Moxi
It's funny you mention that as I tried the multimeter on the battery today. Its reading 12.7v at battery when neep is spinning and 12.4v when neep at rest. Also my little lcd display from neep is reading 15.2v with peaks of 16.2v. It's an 80A LB out of my mazda bongo. If memory serves, last time I checked it, over a year ago it was sitting at about 11.7v. So it is getting something. I really should flatten it to say 11.75v and see how long it takes to charge up again. I think it's of use in the post apocalyptic scenario at my location if we run headlamp bulbs off it.

In saying that, the fact that It Does ANYTHING in the terrible position I put it makes me smile. :D

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

How does that stack up against the power curve, interesting to see its giving you something - admittedly not much - but something.

Moxi