Part ownership of a Ripple Wind Turbine, fancy it?

Wind turbines
Joeboy

Re: Part ownership of a Ripple Wind Turbine, fancy it?

Post by Joeboy »

Turbine shutdown from 01.00 to 07.00 hrs as the wind climbs, not impressed at all at reaction time from Ripple. :(
I Was told that the turbine had its 500hr service yesterday which accounted for the 1hr drop out at 4 pm yesterday. Then it fails the next day, what's that about? :o
18.2kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Apparently the data out has failed but the Turbine IS turning.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Glad they put up an update, customer comms are critical in a remote venture. 'No curtailment' being the word of the day (ok, 2 words).

'Turbine output

4/5/2022
You might have noticed the generation from the turbine dropping off at some points. We're aware of the issue. The grid company is sending a signal to the turbine to stop at certain points. We're working with them to resolve the issue.

Data feed down

4/5/2022
The data feed from the turbine is temporarily down. We're working to get it reinstated ASAP but until we do your dashboard will show zero output from the turbine. That doesn't mean it's not generating, just that we can't see in real time what it's generating.'
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Joeboy wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:58 am Glad they put up an update, customer comms are critical in a remote venture. 'No curtailment' being the word of the day (ok, 2 words).

4/5/2022
The data feed from the turbine is temporarily down. We're working to get it reinstated ASAP but until we do your dashboard will show zero output from the turbine. That doesn't mean it's not generating, just that we can't see in real time what it's generating.'
I hope there is a physical meter somewhere that can be read, or downloaded later. Maybe we shall just get "deemed generation!"
(of course if there is data to be fed then there must be data, and hopefully it is stored within the turbine.)
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:08 am
Joeboy wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:58 am Glad they put up an update, customer comms are critical in a remote venture. 'No curtailment' being the word of the day (ok, 2 words).

4/5/2022
I hope there is a physical meter somewhere that can be read, or downloaded later. Maybe we shall just get "deemed generation!"
(of course if there is data to be fed then there must be data, and hopefully it is stored within the turbine.)
A
I'm sure it will a big old FIT type meter, does make ye wonder if it should be a mechanical meter as they don't suffer data failure? I find it most irksome that after the turbine being lauded as 'no curtailment' the WPD (Welsh power distribution, I made that up) are having fun just sending a signal & switching it off. Oh what a laugh! :(

I guess this all comes under teething troubles.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
nowty

Post by nowty »

'Turbine output

4/5/2022
You might have noticed the generation from the turbine dropping off at some points. We're aware of the issue. The grid company is sending a signal to the turbine to stop at certain points. We're working with them to resolve the issue.

Data feed down

4/5/2022
If its a DNO problem like overvoltage then a simple fix like a transformer tapping change could do it. That's quite reassuring that its not a problem with the actual turbine itself. I would think these teething problems are common for new installations. I do note that the whole area below the turbine which is going to be an industrial zone is completely empty only a single building there so far so I wonder if the grid connection was OK'd on the basis of local demand from it but Covid may have put the timescales back for the development.

On the second data out issue, again if its only a data loss, no big deal, I hope we get some sort of statement from Octopus like you do for Octopus Outgoing so we know the dates on which the generation is based.

EDIT - I just wonder if the massive increase in leccy costs are reducing demand in the area, thus causing the DNO local issues.
16.9kW PV > 104MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 20MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 500 m3
SafetyThird

Post by SafetyThird »

Joeboy wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:44 pm
SafetyThird wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:41 pm Is there any way of knowing if other energy suppliers will be joining the Ripple turbine setup? I've been with Good Energy for years and really like them and it would seem I'd have to change to Octopus if I want to buy a part of the Ripple turbines.
The list of partner suppliers is growing, best to contact Ripple direct and keep an eye on the investment window date of closure at the same time.

At the moment the investment window will close at midnight on the 3rd May 22.
I emailed Ripple and they said they're looking to increase the number of partners and that if I like my supplier to let them know about Ripple and ask if they're interested in becoming a partner. I've now done that and will wait to see what comes of it. Now I have to decide whether to invest before end of May and hope they partner up before end of 2023 when it comes online. If not, then I'd have to change everything over to another supplier. Not sure if that will also impact who I do my fit readings and payments through.
6kw PV (24 x REC Solar AS REC 250PE)
Clausius 5-25kw GSHP
Luxpower Squirrel Pod
Pylontech 21kwh
Eddi Diverter
250l hot water tank with 2 immersions
2 x Woodwarm stoves
7 acres of old coppice woodland
Ripple Kirk Hill 3.8kw
Ripple Derril Water 3.963 kW
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

SafetyThird wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:48 pm Not sure if that will also impact who I do my fit readings and payments through.
You can just leave your existing FITs payments where they are, I've been with Octopus a few years now and my FIT's are still with SSE.
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
nowty

Post by nowty »

Fintray wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:53 pm
SafetyThird wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:48 pm Not sure if that will also impact who I do my fit readings and payments through.
You can just leave your existing FITs payments where they are, I've been with Octopus a few years now and my FIT's are still with SSE.
Yes generally they stay where they are. I think the rules were if your FITs are with a compulsory FIT provider, they can stay. If you are with a voluntary FIT provider, it was up to the FIT provider to keep you or force you out. But that was years ago, don't know if the rules have changed or not.
16.9kW PV > 104MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 20MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 500 m3
SafetyThird

Post by SafetyThird »

Thanks both, that will make any change easier. I need to take long hard look at tariffs over the coming months once I have the batteries installed.
6kw PV (24 x REC Solar AS REC 250PE)
Clausius 5-25kw GSHP
Luxpower Squirrel Pod
Pylontech 21kwh
Eddi Diverter
250l hot water tank with 2 immersions
2 x Woodwarm stoves
7 acres of old coppice woodland
Ripple Kirk Hill 3.8kw
Ripple Derril Water 3.963 kW