Part ownership of a Ripple Wind Turbine, fancy it?

Wind turbines
Stinsy

Re: Part ownership of a Wind Turbine, fancy it?

Post by Stinsy »

Joeboy wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:07 am Just in within my Inbox.

Hi Joe

September has been incredibly busy for us here at Ripple. We'll take you through a run down of what's been going on, but first we have some big news to share with you...

Graig Fatha members are set to DOUBLE their electricity bill savings from their wind farm!

You may have seen in the news that the wholesale price of electricity has risen significantly in recent weeks, pushing electricity bills up. Whilst electricity prices are set to increase for millions of households, the high wholesale price will increase the bill savings Graig Fatha members will see once the wind farm starts generating. In fact savings are set to double compared to our initial estimates when we launched.

Whilst wholesale prices have gone through the roof, the expected cost of operating Graig Fatha has remained relatively flat. That means more savings for every kWh share of Graig Fatha produces.

We launched our share offer for Graig Fatha in summer 2020, at a time market prices were very low, in part due to the Covid lockdowns. As a result, the first year bill savings were expected to be less than 4p/kWh, although higher in later years. We now expect savings to be around 8p/kWh for at least the first year of the wind farm's lifetime.

The amount Graig Fatha members will save will depend on how much of the wind farm they own. A typical UK household using 2,900kWh of electricity per year and owning enough of Graig Fatha to meet 100% of their consumption (2,900kWh), would have paid around £1,880 for their wind farm shares.

Their bill from our current supply partner, Co-op Energy, powered by Octopus Energy, would have cost around £774 a year without Ripple. Now, with wind farm savings of around 8p/kWh, they can expect to save £232 in the first year of operation, bringing their bill down to £542. That's a reduction of 30%.

The calculation: 2,900 kWh generation x 8p/kWh saving = 23,200p = £232

Bill estimates based on London home on Your Co-op Energy 12 month fixed tariff. Prices correct 22.09.21.

Reservations are open for our second wind farm

Located in beautiful Scotland, our second wind farm is now open for reservations. Over 800 people have already reserved their place!

Reserving your shares guarantees you up to 900 watts in the wind farm ahead of the full public launch. That would be expected to generate 2,900kW each year . If you have already joined us for our second wind farm, welcome on board! If you have not, head to your member's dashboard for more information on how you can secure your place.

Soon we hope to bring you news about our new electricity supply partners who will join us alongside Your Co-op Energy, powered by Octopus Energy. So watch this space!
I’m not sure that email makes sense? Wholesale prices have been high because there hasn’t been any wind…
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

The extra saving is great, what surprised me though was this.

'Over 800 people have already reserved their place' :shock:

I am looking forward to getting this next one booked out to myself, Never as a wee laddie did i ever think it would be possible to own Wind turbines, solar power and Hydroturbines whole or fractional. Like something out of Astonishing Stories or Uncanny Tales Magazines. 8-)
18.2kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Stinsy wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:15 am
Joeboy wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:07 am Just in within my Inbox.

Hi Joe

September has been incredibly busy for us here at Ripple. We'll take you through a run down of what's been going on, but first we have some big news to share with you...

Graig Fatha members are set to DOUBLE their electricity bill savings from their wind farm!

You may have seen in the news that the wholesale price of electricity has risen significantly in recent weeks, pushing electricity bills up. Whilst electricity prices are set to increase for millions of households, the high wholesale price will increase the bill savings Graig Fatha members will see once the wind farm starts generating. In fact savings are set to double compared to our initial estimates when we launched.

Whilst wholesale prices have gone through the roof, the expected cost of operating Graig Fatha has remained relatively flat. That means more savings for every kWh share of Graig Fatha produces.

We launched our share offer for Graig Fatha in summer 2020, at a time market prices were very low, in part due to the Covid lockdowns. As a result, the first year bill savings were expected to be less than 4p/kWh, although higher in later years. We now expect savings to be around 8p/kWh for at least the first year of the wind farm's lifetime.

The amount Graig Fatha members will save will depend on how much of the wind farm they own. A typical UK household using 2,900kWh of electricity per year and owning enough of Graig Fatha to meet 100% of their consumption (2,900kWh), would have paid around £1,880 for their wind farm shares.

Their bill from our current supply partner, Co-op Energy, powered by Octopus Energy, would have cost around £774 a year without Ripple. Now, with wind farm savings of around 8p/kWh, they can expect to save £232 in the first year of operation, bringing their bill down to £542. That's a reduction of 30%.

The calculation: 2,900 kWh generation x 8p/kWh saving = 23,200p = £232

Bill estimates based on London home on Your Co-op Energy 12 month fixed tariff. Prices correct 22.09.21.

Reservations are open for our second wind farm

Located in beautiful Scotland, our second wind farm is now open for reservations. Over 800 people have already reserved their place!

Reserving your shares guarantees you up to 900 watts in the wind farm ahead of the full public launch. That would be expected to generate 2,900kW each year . If you have already joined us for our second wind farm, welcome on board! If you have not, head to your member's dashboard for more information on how you can secure your place.

Soon we hope to bring you news about our new electricity supply partners who will join us alongside Your Co-op Energy, powered by Octopus Energy. So watch this space!
I’m not sure that email makes sense? Wholesale prices have been high because there hasn’t been any wind…
That's one factor only on an eventful 2 year timeline.
Covid low demand- 4p
Generation plants shutdown
Interconnects damaged
Demand in Europe up
Gas prices up
Demand in China up for LNG
As you say Low WT generation 8p

There will be many more factors i'm sure and the prices will be live(ish) so will keep changing. Not many investments double their rate of return in 2 years. :D
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Adokforme

Post by Adokforme »

Joeboy wrote: ↑Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:07 am
Just in within my Inbox.
Thanks for posting this update Joe. Went straight to my Ripple inbox and there it was too.
Great to have confirmation of our suspicions, straight from the horses mouth so to speak.

From those who doubted or even bemoaned their first offering can you now just imagine the scramble for places on their second! :mrgreen:
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

800 reservations already! That must be just existing members too, which hints at the extent of the membership.
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Adokforme wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:17 am
Joeboy wrote: ↑Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:07 am
Just in within my Inbox.
Thanks for posting this update Joe. Went straight to my Ripple inbox and there it was too.
Great to have confirmation of our suspicions, straight from the horses mouth so to speak.

From those who doubted or even bemoaned their first offering can you now just imagine the scramble for places on their second! :mrgreen:
No worries, That's what I thought too. :roll:
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:55 pm 800 reservations already! That must be just existing members too, which hints at the extent of the membership.
A
I think they are up at 690 for WT 1? It's great that there are others switched onto the idea now or maybe not got covid/furlough fear anymore? Perfectly legit reaction to last couple of years turmoil.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Adokforme

Post by Adokforme »

I think they are up at 690 for WT 1? It's great that there are others switched onto the idea now or maybe not got covid/furlough fear anymore? Perfectly legit reaction to last couple of years turmoil.
I have to agree there Joe. Just after it launched Ripple got hit by the double whammy of Covid and low energy prices so for them to make the numbers work as they did sets out a very good example of what can be achieved through community ventures. It must have been a very difficult time for them, and to navigate it as they did speaks volumes for Sarah and the Team. When the opportunity to invest in Ripple themselves came along I just thought, well, if they've negotiated their way through all they did then, they truly are committed and with a seemingly workable plan to boot. So, along with their ESG credentials I was more than happy to add to their pot with little other evidence that returns of any sort were likely. Obviously it's still early days and things could go badly wrong, but I've every confidence they will navigate their way somehow, no matter what is thrown at them.

On top of the above I've now learnt that onshore wind energy is probably the cheapest of all around in the UK and certainly a mere fraction of any potential Nuclear builds going forward. I believe HPC is guaranteed five times that of Graig Fatha for each kWh of energy produced so find it difficult to imagine the wholesale cost of energy returning to covid levels any time soon.
nowty

Post by nowty »

New EV, and I get home and find its Double Bubble on WT1, how better can the day get ?, well my step grandson could be born, he's due this week and being induced on Sunday if the Stork does not turn up before then.

PS - Ripple have said they have over 900 members for WT1.

Also I note the annual kWh per W for WT2 is higher than WT1. Circa 2.67 kWh / W for WT1 and 3.22 kWh / W for WT2.

And naughty Sarah quoted kW instead of kWh in their email, good job she doesn't post on this forum. ;)
16.9kW PV > 103MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 20MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 500 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

I only gave real thought to the money side of it yesterday. A pleasant coincidence to receive the update. :)

Before that I was in it for the planet, still am.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs