UK Wind Record

Wind turbines
nowty

Re: UK Wind Record

Post by nowty »

Unfortunately not today again, still plenty of winter to go so it must get broke at some point this winter.

I have noticed the numbers between Gridwatch and Energy Numbers are narrowing closer together. Gridwatch only includes metered wind and Energy Numbers includes an estimate of non metered wind so I suspect that's because of the increase in offshore wind farms being built which are metered.

16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:30 pm Unfortunately not today again, still plenty of winter to go so it must get broke at some point this winter.

I have noticed the numbers between Gridwatch and Energy Numbers are narrowing closer together. Gridwatch only includes metered wind and Energy Numbers includes an estimate of non metered wind so I suspect that's because of the increase in offshore wind farms being built which are metered.

I'd love to know the parameters for curtailment and how they apply across the grid depending on non RE assets,distance and population density. I'd also like to know the margin for error within. Purely as one those things that circles in back of mind. See those bad boys sitting up on the ridges and non rotational. That's not right!!
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Ken

Post by Ken »

The Nat Grid is only concerned with reliability and the fact that supply =demand. The question they have to answer is what if this unforseen happening does happen. Everything including gas and coal have to be turned up and down,even nuclear had to be curtailed last yr at great expense and there is no reason why wind is any different. In fact we need more wind which we are increasingly going to curtail or shift into hrgrogen production etc.

Wind seems to be curtailed at around 12GW which probably reflects its flexibility or lack of it being a non despatchable supply.
Tinbum

Post by Tinbum »

Good to see electricity wholesale prices edging into negative territory last night.
85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, 8kWh Growatt storage, 22 x US3000C Pylontech, Sofar ME3000's, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Demand has fallen off a cliff, the wind is blowing and the nukes are working...
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

but we are still importing from everywhere, except exporting to Ireland...
Also interesting that there's a Gigawatt of pumped hydro being used. Maybe the upper reservoirs are full from rain: I would have expected the water to be held for supplying demand when it picks up again in a few days time (or for when the wind drops.)
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Ken

Post by Ken »

Before this week we had been exporting to France for days and i have seen short periods of no import. I guess this means its working as it should.
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Yesterday we were exporting to everywhere including Norway. First time I've seen us exporting to Norway.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Countrypaul

Post by Countrypaul »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:18 pm but we are still importing from everywhere, except exporting to Ireland...
Also interesting that there's a Gigawatt of pumped hydro being used. Maybe the upper reservoirs are full from rain: I would have expected the water to be held for supplying demand when it picks up again in a few days time (or for when the wind drops.)
A
Could be that because of the warmer than expected burst of weather coupled with Nuclear at almost full output and wind expected to be strong that overnight the price of electricity will be low so pumping it back up to recharge the battery makes the most of the situation and also minimises FF use.
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

very good points. It's what I have been hoping for, don't know why it didn't occur to me!
Displace gas generation (currently generating 8.4, Pumped hydro now 2.4) and use negative-price leccy to recharge the upper reservoir overnight.

Good stuff!

A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!