Part ownership of a Ripple Wind Turbine, fancy it?

Wind turbines
Adokforme

Re: Part ownership of a Ripple Wind Turbine, fancy it?

Post by Adokforme »

nowty wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 1:46 pm
Adokforme wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 12:46 pm Just added yesterdays GF generation in to find it's now at 30% CF for the first time this month with Kirk Hill already sitting at 33%. :)
Looking very likely for both wind farms to end the month comfortably above the August baseline's. :mrgreen:
:xx: :)
nowty

Post by nowty »

GF currently at 98.5% output.
KH currently at 96.8% output.

Which means Moxi is getting his Solar covered wind proof wheele bin store a stress test. ;)

16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2024 6:44 pm GF currently at 98.5% output.

Which means Moxi is getting his Solar covered wind proof wheele bin store a stress test. ;)

Great news on tge CF, the more I look at Moxi's bin set up the more I appreciate it's simple yet tank spec design.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Adokforme

Post by Adokforme »

All about Co-ops......and more to come?
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Joeboy wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2024 8:07 pm
nowty wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2024 6:44 pm GF currently at 98.5% output.

Great news on tge CF, the more I look at Moxi's bin set up the more I appreciate it's simple yet tank spec design.
In preparation for my future plans of a vertical south facing array, with adjustable elevation and fixed azimuth, I did a wind load calculation and I need approximately 2.5 tonnes of ballast to maintain vertical and that's not the highest possible gusting wind speed either :shock: . The bin store is in the lee of the bunker for the prevailing south westerlies so the circa 0.75 tones of ballast there for a single panel at a nominal 30 ish degrees is slightly over the required but not quite the tank spec that it first appears to be.

My problem is I don't think there's enough space for the 2.5 tonnes in front of the panels of the planed array without incurring the combined wroth of SWMBO and the MOL :fight: :fight: so I don't fancy my chances, the problem being that because the land slopes and the array needs to be aligned horizontally with the cottage to look correct and that means the west end of the frame needs to be 3 meters tall and the east end is about 2.2m tall, the anchoring gabions can only extend 1 meter out from the vertical so there's a mechanical lever of 3 to 1 at the west end. I cant fasten to the cottage wall either because the EWI is 200mm thick and I don't want to damage its integrity through bolting to the mass stone behind it.

Problems problems - thinking cap on...............

Moxi
MrPablo

Post by MrPablo »

Moxi wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 9:07 am In preparation for my future plans of a vertical south facing array, with adjustable elevation and fixed azimuth, I did a wind load calculation and I need approximately 2.5 tonnes of ballast to maintain vertical and that's not the highest possible gusting wind speed either :shock: . The bin store is in the lee of the bunker for the prevailing south westerlies so the circa 0.75 tones of ballast there for a single panel at a nominal 30 ish degrees is slightly over the required but not quite the tank spec that it first appears to be.

My problem is I don't think there's enough space for the 2.5 tonnes in front of the panels of the planed array without incurring the combined wroth of SWMBO and the MOL :fight: :fight: so I don't fancy my chances, the problem being that because the land slopes and the array needs to be aligned horizontally with the cottage to look correct and that means the west end of the frame needs to be 3 meters tall and the east end is about 2.2m tall, the anchoring gabions can only extend 1 meter out from the vertical so there's a mechanical lever of 3 to 1 at the west end. I cant fasten to the cottage wall either because the EWI is 200mm thick and I don't want to damage its integrity through bolting to the mass stone behind it.

Problems problems - thinking cap on...............

Moxi
Perhaps a combination of ballast and sinking the frame into the ground?
I assume that you're not inclined to dig down so far that ballast gabions aren't needed at all, but perhaps sinking in 1m or so would reduce the ballast requirements?
10x 405W JA Solar panels (4.05kWp) @ 5 degrees
3x 405W Longi panels (1.22kWp) @ 90 degrees
16.5kWh DIY LifePo4 battery
Solis inverter/charger
0.6kW Ripple WT
64kWh Kia E-Niro
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Not an option unfortunately, the incoming water supply pipe passes beneath the proposed position of the solar panels, putting a 45 degree return from the vertical to the horizontal foreshortens the lever by 500mm and I am going to look at that and bringing the panels off the vertical to something between 70 and 50 degrees - but I want to check PVGIS as well so see what that does to winter insolation figures.

If I recall previous investigations 50 degrees might be the ideal for the panels but might be aesthetic enough for the ladies of the family due to this area being covered in plant containers which spend 75% of their time wind swept and empty :facepalm:

Moxi
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Moxi wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 9:42 am Not an option unfortunately, the incoming water supply pipe passes beneath the proposed position of the solar panels, putting a 45 degree return from the vertical to the horizontal foreshortens the lever by 500mm and I am going to look at that and bringing the panels off the vertical to something between 70 and 50 degrees - but I want to check PVGIS as well so see what that does to winter insolation figures.

If I recall previous investigations 50 degrees might be the ideal for the panels but might be aesthetic enough for the ladies of the family due to this area being covered in plant containers which spend 75% of their time wind swept and empty :facepalm:

Moxi
Update - even at 50 degrees its needing something akin to 2 tonnes - might need to reconsider other locations :cry:

Moxi
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Does it REALLY need to be vertical? No way of going low to ground at 15 degs? 3mtrs? Wow!

Personally, I'd be out with divining rods and swmbo with wee flag markers and redesign around the water pipe run and that feisty local environment. 8-)

Any chance of some photos?
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

I've been out this morning and got some photos around the place, but rather than continue in this post I had better put it in my other post so that it doesn't hijack Ripple business.

Moxi