Part ownership of a Ripple Wind Turbine, fancy it?

Wind turbines
AE-NMidlands

Re: Part ownership of a Wind Turbine, fancy it?

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Given the struggle to fill WT1, the much bigger size of the offer for #2 (I assume) and the length of time before WT2 starts to generate a return I wouldn't be at all surprised if #2 contributions start very slowly. That said, I am optimistic that it will work out OK...
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

My crystal ball says the original date given for WT2 was synced to the energising of WT1. The DNO, covid and council delay as we all know slipped that date to sometime in 1st week March. I think that's where we are for WT2 fanfare and i'll bet a pint. :o

If WT2 doesn't sell out, all Sarah has to do is to get word to Boris(or his replacement) as to how the English really don't fancy WT's. Wee Nippy will accelerate towards that as a call to arms and the Scottish Govt will fund the remainder. :twisted:

Finally, a use for politicians! :D
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
John_S

Post by John_S »

I have just tried to update my annual electricity usage and had to ask Ripple how to do it.

They have replied that

"You will be able to update your estimated annual usage once our share offering goes live. This will be the first week of February, but when you go into the share offering portal it will give you the opportunity to update all of this information."

Based on my recent electricity usage and EV charging at home, I am now estimating 6,000 - 7,000 kWhs per year, to which Ripple replied

"That's perfect! We absolutely will be able to help you purchase the shares to cover that amount - we'll let you know a week before the share offering goes live, and the good news is that it will be open for 7 days for reserved customers as opposed to the 3 days we first mentioned!"

On a separate note, Simon Peltenberg has advised that the next share offering document will make it clearer that it might not be a good idea to invest the maximum amount allowed as this would preclude being able to invest in subsequent projects.

So expect to hear something very soon from Ripple.

Depending on the estimated annual yield, I should be able to invest upto around 900 kW (Edit should be 900 W) of capacity. I reckon that by the time WT3 is brought to market, I may be able to sell some of WT1 and diversify my portfolio of wind farms.
Last edited by John_S on Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Nice one John, 1st week on Feb circled on my calendar.

Not sure if they have discussed a mechanism to trade WT1?

I personally have made moves away from gas in our lives. You may do the same? I'm sure by the time WT3 shows up for purchasey ou'll be able to reset and expand your anticipated use on the dashboard?
Last edited by Joeboy on Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

John_S wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:08 am I should be able to invest upto around 900 kW of capacity. I reckon that by the time WT3 is brought to market, I may be able to sell some of WT1 and diversify my portfolio of wind farms.
That amount must be greater than the rest of us on the forum put together? :o
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
John_S

Post by John_S »

Fintray wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:18 am
John_S wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:08 am I should be able to invest upto around 900 kW of capacity. I reckon that by the time WT3 is brought to market, I may be able to sell some of WT1 and diversify my portfolio of wind farms.
That amount must be greater than the rest of us on the forum put together? :o
Apologies. Should be 900 W. I have left the original error in, with an edit comment, as changing it would confuse later readers of the thread.
John
nowty

Post by nowty »

John_S wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:08 am
On a separate note, Simon Peltenberg has advised that the next share offering document will make it clearer that it might not be a good idea to invest the maximum amount allowed as this would preclude being able to invest in subsequent projects.
This is a problem for Ripple, in effect they are turning away business. There are many people who want to write a big cheque, my father wanted to put £20k in it and he only uses about 2000 kWh a year. I said to him, officially you can only put about £1.5k in and he replied, what's the point of that ?

I want to add another £5k but even with my near total elimination of gas with a heatpump, boosting storage heaters and having 2 EVs, I will struggle to add much more than £1k in WT2. :evil:

Gonna need to bigger heater, :twisted:
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
TCA

Post by TCA »

John_S wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:08 am "You will be able to update your estimated annual usage once our share offering goes live. This will be the first week of February, but when you go into the share offering portal it will give you the opportunity to update all of this information."

Based on my recent electricity usage and EV charging at home, I am now estimating 6,000 - 7,000 kWhs per year, to which Ripple replied

"That's perfect! We absolutely will be able to help you purchase the shares to cover that amount - we'll let you know a week before the share offering goes live, and the good news is that it will be open for 7 days for reserved customers as opposed to the 3 days we first mentioned!"

Depending on the estimated annual yield, I should be able to invest upto around 900 kW (Edit should be 900 W) of capacity. I reckon that by the time WT3 is brought to market, I may be able to sell some of WT1 and diversify my portfolio of wind farms.
Thanks for posting the update John.

Interesting that Ripple are increasing the period for reserved customers to 1 week and that week is the first week in February. I think, as nowty suggested previously, they're timing it to coincide with the Ofgem price cap announcement on 7th February.

John mentioned diversifying his portfolio of wind farms - digressing slightly but talking of diversification, is anyone invested in the likes of Greencoat UK Wind?
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

But as I keep reminding people, some here are very heavily involved in RE & it has taken may years to achieve, Ripple WT is a starter for 10 to many without, much thought, land, expertise, determination, ..it is appealing to "soft scoop" ice cream eaters rather than those that milk the cow, & make their own, richer, homemade.

For the many it's also a no brainer to keep on top of energy price rises, never mind green leanings.

However, the "gift certificates" also allow drip feed investment to build upon, it's going to take a few more years to see the buyer type when this is more mainstream.

Question is how many other energy firms will sign up & how rapidly to widen the prospective net beyond a few niche providers? ..will govt put something into law to allow this set up regardless of provider? (any politicians of note looking at ripples evolution & how it could stack up)?
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
John_S

Post by John_S »

nowty wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:02 am
This is a problem for Ripple, in effect they are turning away business. There are many people who want to write a big cheque, my father wanted to put £20k in it and he only uses about 2000 kWh a year. I said to him, officially you can only put about £1.5k in and he replied, what's the point of that ?

I want to add another £5k but even with my near total elimination of gas with a heatpump, boosting storage heaters and having 2 EVs, I will struggle to add much more than £1k in WT2. :evil:
I do not understand Ripple's logic, nor that of their discussions with the FCA that they imply are restricting them to the 120% of 7,000 kWh limit.

If someone set up a copycat Ripple as a separate entity, what would stop someone investing another 7,000 kWh in that entity?

Will Ripple use CO-PILOT WIND PROJECT LIMITED for WT2 or a new special purpose entity?