Part ownership of a Ripple Wind Turbine, fancy it?

Wind turbines
TCA

Re: Part ownership of a Wind Turbine, fancy it?

Post by TCA »

From what I gather, the official line is that the 120% limit is so more people can join each co-op. Altruistic but maybe shortsighted.

My understanding is that the 'return' element of the purchase is to be treated as interest, so goes towards everybody's £1,000 personal savings allowance. Perhaps Ripple want or need to be seen to be restricting member purchases to keep them below this threshold and so avoiding tax issues. Don't know.

WT2 will be a completely separate entity.
nowty

Post by nowty »

TCA wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:05 am John mentioned diversifying his portfolio of wind farms - digressing slightly but talking of diversification, is anyone invested in the likes of Greencoat UK Wind?
Yes and................ go to post 5 of this thread for my list of quoted renewable investments, https://camelot-forum.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... s+trig#p63

To be honest I think it needs a new thread for Renewable Investments as this thread should remain about the Ripple Wind Turbines.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
nowty

Post by nowty »

TCA wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:50 pm From what I gather, the official line is that the 120% limit is so more people can join each co-op. Altruistic but maybe shortsighted.

My understanding is that the 'return' element of the purchase is to be treated as interest, so goes towards everybody's £1,000 personal savings allowance. Perhaps Ripple want or need to be seen to be restricting member purchases to keep them below this threshold and so avoiding tax issues. Don't know.

WT2 will be a completely separate entity.
The 120% issue has been explained several times in the past, here, https://camelot-forum.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... =380#p5527
In essence, Ripple are arguing with HMRC that the rebate should be tax free but the wheels turn very slowly in the UK Treasury.

With regards to the return being interest, yes but you need to subtract 1/20th of your capital amount each taxable year for the first 20 years as that is treated as an element of returned capital. Also depending on your tax rate, your interest allowance is different.

WT2 will be a completely separate entity but Ripple have confirmed several times that the 120% limit applies as the total capacity across all projects.
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
nowty

Post by nowty »

John_S wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:27 pm
nowty wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:02 am
This is a problem for Ripple, in effect they are turning away business. There are many people who want to write a big cheque, my father wanted to put £20k in it and he only uses about 2000 kWh a year. I said to him, officially you can only put about £1.5k in and he replied, what's the point of that ?

I want to add another £5k but even with my near total elimination of gas with a heatpump, boosting storage heaters and having 2 EVs, I will struggle to add much more than £1k in WT2. :evil:
I do not understand Ripple's logic, nor that of their discussions with the FCA that they imply are restricting them to the 120% of 7,000 kWh limit.

If someone set up a copycat Ripple as a separate entity, what would stop someone investing another 7,000 kWh in that entity?

Will Ripple use CO-PILOT WIND PROJECT LIMITED for WT2 or a new special purpose entity?
The 120% is about the talks with HMRC maybe getting the rebate tax free to align with microgeneration legislation.

The FCA wanted the 7000kWh limit (without evidence) to reduce tax avoidance.

There is nothing to stop a copycat company but they will face the same headwinds with HMRC and the FCA as Ripple have.

There will be a separate Co-op company for each project.
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
TCA

Post by TCA »

nowty wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:34 pm
TCA wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:05 am John mentioned diversifying his portfolio of wind farms - digressing slightly but talking of diversification, is anyone invested in the likes of Greencoat UK Wind?
Yes and................ go to post 5 of this thread for my list of quoted renewable investments, https://camelot-forum.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... s+trig#p63

To be honest I think it needs a new thread for Renewable Investments as this thread should remain about the Ripple Wind Turbines.
Thanks.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Graig Fatha update

27/01/2022

Sarah was down on site at Graig Fatha last week whilst filming with the BBC. The episode will air soon and we'll share a link once it's live.

The team have been working hard on site to dig the trench that will have the grid cables laid in it. WPD have likewise been working from the other end so we meet in the middle! Great progress has been made on the trench construction ready for the cabling for the grid connection. Not long to go now.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Graig Fatha update

27/01/2022

Sarah was down on site at Graig Fatha last week whilst filming with the BBC. The episode will air soon and we'll share a link once it's live.

The team have been working hard on site to dig the trench that will have the grid cables laid in it. WPD have likewise been working from the other end so we meet in the middle! Great progress has been made on the trench construction ready for the cabling for the grid connection. Not long to go now!

19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
ecogeorge

Post by ecogeorge »

Any reason why the cables are twisted ?
George.
1750w Vertical PV micro inverters
3800w almost horizontal/south
Aarrow Becton 7 Woodburner
Dream 3kw ASHP only connected to summer Pool.
Allotment heavy clay.
1.784kw Kirk Hill
0.875kw Derril Water
0.2kwWhitelaw Brae
1kw Harlow Hydro.
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

ecogeorge wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:08 pm Any reason why the cables are twisted ?
George.
This will give some explanation of why George.
https://www.etscablecomponents.com/blog ... dvantages/
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
nowty

Post by nowty »

I was going to say it looks like it came off a drum like that and Fintray's link suggests its a Triplex formation.

An adaptation of the trefoil formation can be found with the increasingly popular Triplex formation. Triplex cables are three conventional single-core cables supplied pre-wound in trefoil formation by the cable manufacturer/vendor, the three cores having been slowly twisted together during the manufacturing process and supplied on one drum, offering significant benefits in installation time.
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3