Part ownership of a Ripple Wind Turbine, fancy it?

Wind turbines
Joeboy

Re: Part ownership of a Wind Turbine, fancy it?

Post by Joeboy »

I am also liking the live updates on the bar graph of the predicted WT output. That's cool!
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:46 am
Joeboy wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:04 am
Expected annual generation
18,000 kWh
Kirk Hill 11,028 kWh
Graig Fatha 6,972 kWh

18MWh pa of clean power from remote sources, that is the stuff of Sci-Fi surely? :) :ugeek:
Like it,

Some folk go for a round number of investment like £3k.

I've gone for a round number of watts, now 5.5kW and roughly balanced the forecasted generation of 50% between each wind farm.

And you've gone for a round number of forecast generation 18MWh.

I think ripple should have three separate sliders so you can choose how you wish to measure your purchase without us having to get our calculators out. :geek:

PS - I hope WT3 is in East Anglia because I reckon that would be an ideal place to add generation diversity and would get us one in every country of Great Britain. And then I would have to buy enough so that I have 1/3 of generation from each.
East Anglia would be good, shallow water install. Could even add a tide turbine sub surface on the mast, maybe two to balance the mechanical load. Its been cracker of a journey so far. Filled with trepidation, joy, angst, hope & despair. Aye that was just yesterday! :)

I'm pretty confident that the Graig Fatha investment has killed any gas use here apart from the pilot light and SWMBO's urge to cook on gas for specific meals (who am I to interfere). GF combined with the PV and batteries has made us carbon free!!!!! Pretty sure of that although need to run the year for confirmation. Kirkhill will minimse the use of the woodstove and charge the car for any amount of driving along with a little left over to remove from my Octopus account once a year maybe to then invest in other RE projects? I am still fancying more hydroturbine at a personal level of investment so i'll keep an eye out for that. Final wrinkle is Octopus Electric Juice, when we all agree on a date to meet up in Wales for a pint I'll use the accrued Graig Fatha income to pay for the EV charging sessions there and back. If that's not crystallised satisfaction I don't know what is?
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:55 pm
Joeboy wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:33 pm
nowty wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:29 pm Roll on the weekend !
70 kWh is circa my Solar PV record in a single day. :twisted:
Excited? :)
And its wall to wall sunshine with a stiff wind so I reckon I might generate 50 kWh on solar PV in addition to 70 kWh on the WT1.

120 kWh in a single day. :twisted:
This sparked an interest in me. If you included the burn output to the house, how much RE power did you generate across today? :shock:

I'll have a punt so you can blow it out the water righteously.
WS 30kWh (running it soft and mellow now so 10hrsx3kW)
PV 21kWh
WT 19kWh (est at 17.40)
Total for day 70kWh. I know I'm being a bit cheeky including the woodstove yet its legit offgrid best possible harvested under my own strict solar conditions, same for drying and 🔥.
Right, that's the excuses out the way and I am over the moon to be where I am and having that amount of non grid power in March in a single day.
Get it telt Nowty, how far beyond 120kWh did you get, please include the burn as it surely counts. :D

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

53%! :D You & Me Nowty son, check it out! :)
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Adokforme

Post by Adokforme »

Yep Joe, we've a couple of wind farms off of the coast here in Suffolk so it is obviously windy enough.
Been interrogating our dashboard today and after a brief online chat, to make sure that the graph shown represented our own hourly output figures for the day, plus the estimated projected figures for the hours ahead then our first days return will amount to £1.5732. I've no idea if todays wind speeds can be considered normal, checking them out on the beeb weather forecast today they seem to vary between 5 & 11 mph/knots!
Anyway multiplied by 365 returns a figure of £559.10 for the year. If it turns out to be an average day then it would certainly be a handy sum to offset against the recent energy price rises.
If correct, suggests an ROI of 4.7 years so thought real figures might be helpful to anyone still unsure about Ripples offer!

I know, probably preaching to the converted on here. :lol:
nowty

Post by nowty »

Solar PV was 46kWh and the WT1 (full day) should be 31kWh so thats 77kWh of renewables from Nowty Towers today. I'm not convinced the estimates from ripple are correct, they look over the top to me but even if its only 70% or 80% of the figures they are showing I would be more than happy.

Import from grid was 16kWh but about 10kWh of that was ONLY because I was getting it free from Octopus as part of a turn down event which ironically had me turning it up via my storage heaters to gain max benefit ! :twisted:

Plus maybe 1kWh of gas for cooking. :oops:

I grid fed less 0.5kWh from my solar system, it was all used to charge battery and run heatpump, general house stuff, etc.

I might try importing nothing tonight and running the battery down because of tomorrows solar and our EVs are going nowhere because of having Covid. I think I'm over the worst of it now, the last 2 days where quite tough !, not the worst I've ever had but not nice either with the small niggling thought in your mind, what if this gets worse !, but now just a sore throat and an occasional coughing fit. SWMBO seems to have had it easier than me so far.

I'd like to do this tally again on Saturday when sun and wind will be balls out all day and night. :lol:
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
nowty

Post by nowty »

Joeboy wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:37 pm 53%! :D You & Me Nowty son, check it out! :)
Obviously it was us that did it ! :mrgreen:
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:06 pm
Joeboy wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:37 pm 53%! :D You & Me Nowty son, check it out! :)
Obviously it was us that did it ! :mrgreen:
Aye! who else? :)
See ye Saturday for the real count then.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:05 pm Solar PV was 46kWh and the WT1 (full day) should be 31kWh so thats 77kWh of renewables from Nowty Towers today. I'm not convinced the estimates from ripple are correct, they look over the top to me but even if its only 70% or 80% of the figures they are showing I would be more than happy.

Import from grid was 16kWh but about 10kWh of that was ONLY because I was getting it free from Octopus as part of a turn down event which ironically had me turning it up via my storage heaters to gain max benefit ! :twisted:

Plus maybe 1kWh of gas for cooking. :oops:

I grid fed less 0.5kWh from my solar system, it was all used to charge battery and run heatpump, general house stuff, etc.

I might try importing nothing tonight and running the battery down because of tomorrows solar and our EVs are going nowhere because of having Covid. I think I'm over the worst of it now, the last 2 days where quite tough !, not the worst I've ever had but not nice either with the small niggling thought in your mind, what if this gets worse !, but now just a sore throat and an occasional coughing fit. SWMBO seems to have had it easier than me so far.

I'd like to do this tally again on Saturday when sun and wind will be balls out all day and night. :lol:
We also have that falling off a cliff thing for import in the go faster window. Down from 19.5kWh a few weeks ago to 4kWh this evening. Long may it continue. I suspect I will be shutting down import in next couple of weeks.. I filled in the feedback request from Ripple tonight. Asked for a nacelle mounted camera so we can see the blades.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Adokforme wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:49 pm Yep Joe, we've a couple of wind farms off of the coast here in Suffolk so it is obviously windy enough.
Been interrogating our dashboard today and after a brief online chat, to make sure that the graph shown represented our own hourly output figures for the day, plus the estimated projected figures for the hours ahead then our first days return will amount to £1.5732. I've no idea if todays wind speeds can be considered normal, checking them out on the beeb weather forecast today they seem to vary between 5 & 11 mph/knots!
Anyway multiplied by 365 returns a figure of £559.10 for the year. If it turns out to be an average day then it would certainly be a handy sum to offset against the recent energy price rises.
If correct, suggests an ROI of 4.7 years so thought real figures might be helpful to anyone still unsure about Ripples offer!

I know, probably preaching to the converted on here. :lol:
Always worth stating, you never know who might find their way here and a read could help them make that move.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs