Wind curtailment Monitor

Wind turbines
Joeboy

Re: Wind curtailment Monitor

Post by Joeboy »

dan_b wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:52 am Was he/ they an Ai ? Very odd phrasing and didn’t really answer to replies just kept posting quite repetitive stuff. ChatGPT generated output perhaps?
I thought he was maybe a touch weak in the head or poor social skills, either of which is fine. Hence "introduce yourself", not interested. Ah well. :O: Could have been an AI?

If that's the standard i won't worry about Cyberdyne quite yet! :D

I'm up listening to the storm blow, what's your excuse?
16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Mart

Post by Mart »

dan_b wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:52 am Was he/ they an Ai ? Very odd phrasing and didn’t really answer to replies just kept posting quite repetitive stuff. ChatGPT generated output perhaps?
Oh he's human, and was just getting started. We didn't get to his claims that FF use doesn't really have any externality costs, and that the health impacts of burning coal are massively overblown as "I've stood on a pile of 1,000's of tonnes of coal, and it didn't smell bad to me".

Joeboy did in one day, what it took MSE, on the Green and Ethical Board, 5yrs to do. :xl:
3.58kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV.
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
Mart

Post by Mart »

Something I've noticed! When wind gen is really high, I see it drop overnight then rise again in line with demand. I've always assumed this is curtailment, but have also heard that wind gen is highest in the evening and morning.

I see this image on Nat Grid live for last night/this morning:

With demand in black and wind in green. The wind and demand curves do match (again) but the demand is so high, and the margin between the two larger than usual, that I wonder if this is curtailment or wind gen dropping? Perhaps it's curtailment due to a drop in demand in areas where the wind gen can be moved too?

[Edit - Just to add, the typical wind gen curve I see in these examples is approx 20GW evening, sliding down to 15GW overnight, then back up to 20GW in the morning. So very similar to last night.]

Can anyone educate me further please?
3.58kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV.
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

I actually had a nightmare and woke myself up to get out of it so was browsing the forum as a means of trying to forget what I'd gone though!
Joeboy wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:08 am [I'm up listening to the storm blow, what's your excuse?
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

dan_b wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:32 am I actually had a nightmare and woke myself up to get out of it so was browsing the forum as a means of trying to forget what I'd gone though!
Joeboy wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:08 am [I'm up listening to the storm blow, what's your excuse?
Always a joy when the penny drops that they're not real. The roof moving & SWMBO sawing logs in her sleep were much cause. :lol:
16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Ken

Post by Ken »

Mart wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:48 am Something I've noticed! When wind gen is really high, I see it drop overnight then rise again in line with demand. I've always assumed this is curtailment, but have also heard that wind gen is highest in the evening and morning.

With demand in black and wind in green. The wind and demand curves do match (again) but the demand is so high, and the margin between the two larger than usual, that I wonder if this is curtailment or wind gen dropping? Perhaps it's curtailment due to a drop in demand in areas where the wind gen can be moved too?

[Edit - Just to add, the typical wind gen curve I see in these examples is approx 20GW evening, sliding down to 15GW overnight, then back up to 20GW in the morning. So very similar to last night.]

You can check which it is by going to the curtailment graph at https://wind-curtailment-app-ahq7fucdyq-lz.a.run.app/

Strength of wind on the earths surface is to some extent governed by convecting air currents dragging mixing/dragging the higher winds down.
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Mart wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:48 am Something I've noticed! When wind gen is really high, I see it drop overnight then rise again in line with demand. I've always assumed this is curtailment, but have also heard that wind gen is highest in the evening and morning.

Could it be that grid-scale storage spots the surplus (and consequent lower price) so they kick in to mop it up? That might explain some of the increased "demand"...
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
nowty

Post by nowty »

I think last night with storm Isha was an extreme rare event so probably not a good example of what happens typically. So you know the grid cannot (yet) run on renewables alone so we need some spinning reserve from Gas, Nuclear, Biomass, etc, to stabilise the grid. Typically the grid curtails wind at night to keep around 3GW of gas generation running. Exporting on the interconnectors is one way to reduce that curtailment as it adds to our demand.

All things (weather-wise) being equal the wind (especially on land) tends to be lower at night so that naturally drops the wind generation. This is because air is sticky, so air near the ground does not like to move because of friction with the ground. In the daytime we get thermal activity from the land being heated by the sun and makes the air less dense and thermals stir up the air so there is higher connection with the stronger winds higher up and that drags the air along lower down more. (I note Ken also alluded to this)

Last night was totally different and very rare as it was storm force everywhere at once. So the priority was grid stability, your going to have trees hitting transmission lines, wind farms shutting down due to excess wind speeds, turbulence or running on reduced power with high blade angles. I noticed the large Scottish Whitelee wind farm was down, Hornsea 1 was on low output whilst its sister Hornsea 2 was flat out. The benchmarking windfarm next to Graig Fatha was at 30% whilst Graig Fatha was flat out but even Graig Fatha shutdown at least once last night for a short time.

Gas was about 7GW to 9GW all night so higher than normal for a windy night. Wind power dropped during the strong winds between 9pm and 3am so part curtailment, part shutdown or purposely running on low power with feathered blades to protect them.

Today is now different, good strong generating winds, we are exporting on all interconnectors and we are 1GW away from a wind record so look out at 6pm tonight and tomorrow.

Hope that make some sense.
15.2kW PV > 100MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 19MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
Adokforme

Post by Adokforme »

I've often been checking in on the excellent Iamkate site just to see what %'s of the various sources are. I appreciate the requirement for retaining spinning reserves, generally supplied by the more traditional/emission producing sources, but did wonder whether storage batteries couldn't be implemented to back up renewables when surpluses and therefore curtailment are forecast days ahead.
Unfortunately while pumped Storage gets listed and figures given, Battery storage is always zero with the explanation that :-
Several battery storage systems are in operation in Great Britain, but full reporting is not yet available: reports include discharging but not charging. As this would lead to double counting, with power being reported both when originally generated and when discharged from battery storage systems, battery storage data is not yet shown on this site.
Which is a little strange as the same surely applies to pumped storage!
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

yeah I thought that too - I guess it'll get solved in time.
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work