Powering my HP from my WT.

Wind turbines
Heroformosa

Powering my HP from my WT.

Post by Heroformosa »

Hi. I've got a 240v AC 2.5kW Proven WT which is in situ, but now redundant as I've changed my heating system. It's lying on its back while the wind whistles over it, its energy wasted. Heating is now provided by a Mitsubishi Ecodan 11.2kW A2W heat pump. How can I use power from the WT to contribute to the HP feed? Charge and discharge a battery?
Thanks
Countrypaul

Re: Powering my HP from my WT.

Post by Countrypaul »

Do you have any other electricity generation such as PV panels? More details on what you have would be helpful.

You should be able to use an frid tied inverter to supply all the power from you WT to the house and if the ASHP runs the WT will contribute. If the WT is producing more that needed it will simply be exported to the grid. You could use a hybrid inverter linked to batteries that would charge those when the WT produces more power than the house needs and supplies power to the house when it requires it. The batteries can also be charged from the grid if you are on a suitable tariff such as E7.

The Ecodan can also be set to come on when via a pair of zero volt terminals that need switching (for eample via a thermostat), this could for example be done via a Eddi relay that could detect excess power and send it to am immersion heater until the ecess hits a certain level at which point it could trigger the Ecodan.

There are number of different options, depending on what you have and what you require henc the first question.
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Heroformosa wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:41 pm Hi. I've got a 240v AC 2.5kW Proven WT which is in situ, but now redundant as I've changed my heating system. It's lying on its back while the wind whistles over it, its energy wasted. Heating is now provided by a Mitsubishi Ecodan 11.2kW A2W heat pump. How can I use power from the WT to contribute to the HP feed? Charge and discharge a battery?
Thanks
You need some batteries. WT to batteries, batteries to grid.

It is hard to understand why the installation of the HP means you’ve retired the WT?
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Ken

Post by Ken »

The problem is that the wind turbine can give out quite a large variation in voltage and hence as above a grid tied inverter or batts will sought that out. The batts could be the better option as it will open up storing the leccy for later and much more.

Why is the turbine not working now, presumably it was once and therefore you already have the rest of the equipment?
Heroformosa

Post by Heroformosa »

The WT was never grid-connected, rather it was used to add heat to a heat store (a cube of water) along with a now defunct solar thermal roof, and a smaller now defunct A2W HP, as a heat source for UFH. So it's on its back as there's nowhere for the power to go, unless grid connected - and I'd not pursued that until I found the best solution for using the power most efficiently.
Thanks, CountryPaul for your detailed answer. I suspect the solution may well lie in there. It's just a matter now of waving it under an electrician's nose who's prepared to give it a go. I don't have solar PV, though could - but it would be generating best when the HP isn't much required.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

You might like to have a read up on this inverter. I have been fortunate to see them operating on a home setup with WT's.

Personally I think they are the coolest art deco design and would love to own and operate one.

https://www.bimblesolar.com/midnite-classic-150-mppt

There is a lot going on in that box and available in multiple sizes.
16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Joeboy wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:59 am You might like to have a read up on this inverter. I have been fortunate to see them operating on a home setup with WT's.

Personally I think they are the coolest art deco design and would love to own and operate one.

You'll be needing a bigger WT! :whistle:
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Fintray wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:55 am
Joeboy wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:59 am You might like to have a read up on this inverter. I have been fortunate to see them operating on a home setup with WT's.

You'll be needing a bigger WT! :whistle:
And a house on.the Hill!
16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs