Offshore floaters require "heavy maintenance"

Wind turbines
dan_b

Offshore floaters require "heavy maintenance"

Post by dan_b »

After 7 years floating in the sea, these pioneering off shore floating wind turbines are apparently a bit knackered.
I hope this doesn't mean that other offshore turbines, which we're planting at a rapid rate, are similarly struggling?

https://renews.biz/90572/hywind-scotlan ... intenance/
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
Adokforme

Re: Offshore floaters require "heavy maintenance"

Post by Adokforme »

On the plus side there will possibly be important lessons to learn from the process to carry through to future developments.
A very impressive CF of 57% so worth persevering I suspect!
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

I suppose that the offshore floaters are by definition in a more severe environment than fixed ones, let alone onshore. The high CF is the gain, to balance that pain!
I like the idea of towing each of them in turn to a yard for overhaul... If this works out, I wonder whether future builds of floaters could have an extra one added on at the end? This way they can maintain the windfarm's output by using the spare to replace the first one that needs to come back in, then swapping the first refurbished one for the next one which needs attention?
I suppose it would depend on the first cost and depreciation on the spare against the loss of income of one turbine throughout the overhaul period.
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Thebeeman

Post by Thebeeman »

The upside is that the work can be done at a dockside in a much better/safer environment than if they were planted into the seabed. It reads that it's the turbines not the floatation bit that's knackered so that does not bode well for the planted ones.
I was beaten to it!!
Beau

Post by Beau »

dan_b wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:48 am
I hope this doesn't mean that other offshore turbines, which we're planting at a rapid rate, are similarly struggling?

Maybe not. Nothing to do with wind turbines but I saw Adam of Heat Geek explaining a reason why a heat pump was noisy. He pointed out that it had not been installed not level and how this put a greater stress on the bearings leading to premature failure. I am presuming any floating turbine is changing angle quite a bit so tougher on the running gear?
nowty

Post by nowty »

They do get circa 2.5 times the CFD rates to compensate for this compared to fixed offshore turbines.
15.2kW PV > 100MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 19MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
smegal

Post by smegal »

At least they can be towed to port for maintenance. Saves needing large offshore cranes.
Stan

Post by Stan »

https://images.app.goo.gl/rLTNPKGbYx79NWo8A

It’s hard to find details but looks plenty to wear out on the mooring bracket. The chains are enormous and attached to suction buckets. Also I believe that 60T ballast is attached somewhere along each chain.