GE scraps 18MW wind turbine

Wind turbines
dan_b

GE scraps 18MW wind turbine

Post by dan_b »

MIssed this somehow.
We've had many discussions in the past about at what point would turbines actually not get much bigger than they currently are.

Seems GE, for now at least, isn't pressing ahead with anything bigger than the 15.5MW version of the Haliade-X, which it describes as its "Workhorse".

https://electrek.co/2024/02/23/ge-offshore-wind/
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
GarethC

Re: GE scraps 18MW wind turbine

Post by GarethC »

It's interesting. There must be economies of scale in producing a lot of one size of turbine, rather than every other year upgrading to a larger size.

But of course, bigger means fewer, which means cheaper until diseconomies prevail. Recent reports of techical issues may suggest that at least a bit of time to refine technology at current sizes is appropriate.

I'm not sure I mind very much. The cost of offshore wind in more mature markets has fallen enough to allow a very significant contribution to decarbonisation at acceptable cost, with great capacity factors.

Increased focus on floating wind may also be a factor. The only 'floaters' I've heard of have been smaller than the maximum sizes installed. If the current size limit for floating wind is smaller than for fixed bottom, it would mean more demand for 'smaller' wind turbines and less incentive to go ever larger.