Irish Wind

Wind turbines
dan_b

Irish Wind

Post by dan_b »

Not much detail - but I must admit I have almost zero knowledge of what powers the Grid on the Island of Ireland - had no idea their wind generation penetration was already so high just from onshore. And given where they are in the Atlantic they must have incredible offshore resources that could be developed.

That HVDC interconnector direct from Ireland to France makes a lot of sense in that context.

https://renews.biz/92095/windeurope-202 ... owerhouse/
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
Adokforme

Re: Irish Wind

Post by Adokforme »

Thanks for posting that dan_b and how refreshing to learn of their success with onshore wind even before they focus on the greater potential of offshore generation.
Along with the line to France I can't help but notice how their line to us in the uk has the energy flowing in their direction more often than not, so I look forward to seeing some of their excesses heading in the opposite direction taking some of the strain from those here running north to south.
I wonder how much longer it will take for the defacto ban on offshore wind here to be overturned in order to create something closer to a level playing field for renewables?
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Adokforme wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:24 pm I look forward to seeing some of their excesses heading in the opposite direction taking some of the strain from those here running north to south.
I wonder how much longer it will take for the defacto ban on offshore wind here to be overturned in order to create something closer to a level playing field for renewables?
I think you might mean the ban on onshore wind.
I wouldn't ever expect a level playing field due to those with vested interests in the status quo pulling the strings of their friends in office...
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Adokforme

Post by Adokforme »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:29 pm
Adokforme wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:24 pm I look forward to seeing some of their excesses heading in the opposite direction taking some of the strain from those here running north to south.
I think you might mean the ban on onshore wind.
I wouldn't ever expect a level playing field due to those with vested interests in the status quo pulling the strings of their friends in office...
Indeed AE, thanks for pointing out.