Hornsea offshore to have a battery pack

Wind turbines
dan_b

Hornsea offshore to have a battery pack

Post by dan_b »

This is interesting and makes lots of sense. The Hornsea 3 offshore wind farm will have a 600MWh battery system attached to it at its converter station on shore. That's a lot of batteries!

https://electrek.co/2024/06/12/orsted-t ... wind-farm/
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
nowty

Re: Hornsea offshore to have a battery pack

Post by nowty »

I wonder if Dogger bank is going to have an even larger battery as its going to be an even larger wind farm to Hornsea 3.

Hornsea 3 - 2.9GW

Dogger bank - 4.8GW
16.9kW PV > 102MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 19MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 500 m3
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

I would imagine it will the way things are going with grid-scale BESS it makes total sense.
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
Mart

Post by Mart »

Silly waffle (as usual), but I recall the RE industry talking about storage about 10yrs ago, and saying how it will make an ideal partner. They would just wait till the technology and prices made it economical, and then retro-fit. A positive point they were making for RE farms, such as wind and PV, was that there weren't any big cost negatives of adding it later, and that sites would naturally tend to have the space available too.

So be it new RE, or existing RE, we should see a rapid growth in BESS now, as the economic scales are tipping in favour.

I love it when a plan comes together. :praise:
3.58kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV.
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
Ken

Post by Ken »

I suspect in the background batts allow the wind farm to quote for a greater supply and reduce curtailment.

Wind that would have and maybe still is? curtailed and therefore at zero cost can be fed into the grid at max price.
John_S

Post by John_S »

Ken wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 2:43 pm I suspect in the background batts allow the wind farm to quote for a greater supply and reduce curtailment.

Wind that would have and maybe still is? curtailed and therefore at zero cost can be fed into the grid at max price.
Agreed, but it also assumes that the curtailment is not due to the link from the wind farm to the grid being at capacity. It may well have other farms connected to it too.