Post by billi »

Your rights
• If your land boundary is next to a
watercourse it is assumed you own
the land up to the centre of the
watercourse, unless it is owned
by someone else
Sounds like same to me here ...

I will (probably) dig in a a 6-8 inch Pipe from the start of my property (water collection point) and unfortionately only will achieve 1 -1.5 meter of a drop to the end of my property , where the water turbine or wheel can generate

I live in a flood area in spring and the depth of the stream varies from 4 inch to 3 foot , so i cannot justify to place anything directly into the stream

Billi
Hermit

Re: power from a stream.

Post by Hermit »

Moxi wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:23 pm

Its not unusual to have a boundary down the centre of a body of water and to own the land under that body of water but not necessarily own nor have rights to the water that flows over it.

Its a great idea but I would urge caution and ensure you are aware of all interests, rights and regulatory frameworks that may be in place before doing anything that could unleash agencies.

Moxi
Dunno about England but in Scotland you cannot extract more than 1800lts per day without permission from SEPA and they're definition of 'extract' incudes putting it back. Though I dunno how that applies to a turbine within a flowing stream but as Moxi says "I would urge caution" been there, got the video and Tee shirt.

Good luck, Paul
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/owning-a-watercourse

Worth reading through in detail,

Moxi
billi

Post by billi »

should one be afraid ?

to go ahead with a micro generation idea = and wait for hundreds of hours of agreement letters as a brave sheep ?

I would go ahead as a landowner , even without permission , and let the council then prove me wrong if they like to
billi

Post by billi »

its about a 1000 GBP install or in that reagion

Just do it and let them then , if there is a problem deal with it

AS you are just taking the power from a river without changing the water quality , so just use that power potential is basically a super idea and authorities should be more open
ecogeorge

Post by ecogeorge »

I agree , just do it ........
If and if there is a problem ...... use the saving the planet arguement.........
I put up a tracker and wind turbine .........no one objected ..........BUT if have asked first !!!!
George
1600w Vertical PV micro inverters
2000w almost horizontal/south
Aarrow Becton 7 Woodburner
Dream 3kw ASHP only connected to summer Pool.
Allotment heavy clay.
1.784kw Kirk Hill
0.875kw Derril Water
0.2kwWhitelaw Brae
1kw Harlow Hydro.