WATER TURNIP / CHOCOLATE TEA POT.

Water turbines and anything associated
ALAN/ALAN D

Post by ALAN/ALAN D »

Todays project. 12 volt water turnip rated at 10 watts.
Fitted a 0 to 10 amp meter. Expecting needle to move just below one amp.
Fitted calibrated multi meter. It produces 9 m.a.
Not To good on maths. It cost £14
How many Years will it take to break even on cost. :oops:

Fintray

Re: WATER TURNIP / CHOCOLATE TEA POT.

Post by Fintray »

If you are on a water meter, the answer will be never. :oops:
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
nowty

Post by nowty »

A few years ago you could still get FITs with DIY Hydro ( I think @ 16p / kWh) and I thought about doing pumped storage or just closed loop pumped through a generator powered by my DIY solar which could not get FITs but might fit the rules about pumped storage being powered by zero carbon technology. :geek:

I did some simple sums and it did not payback the required hardware. :lol:
15.2kW PV > 101MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 19MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
billi

Post by billi »

.... did you try it with the outlet pipe disconnected too ?
ALAN/ALAN D

Post by ALAN/ALAN D »

Question from Billi “ ... did you try it with the outlet pipe disconnected too ? “

It would not make much difference because the 15mm inlet to the turbine has been reduced internally to about 4mm diameter. The outlet flow is very low. With a rotating garden sprinkler it reduces the diameter it sprays by at least 50%.
Its very much like my 8000w Red vertical wind turbine. The most that has produced at 24 volts was 35 mA :lol:
billi

Post by billi »

Well it might not make a huge difference where in the house one opens a tap for that waterturbine , but still its connected inline of a warerpipe so maybe there is some "back-pressure" braking/slowing the turbines speed ....

I had one of those in Ireland on my kitchen tap to produce ozone and the rated power of the inbuilt waterturbine was 3 watt to power that ozone generator
worked extremely well for years and i got water tested twice from this tap and the report said "Potable drinking water to EU standards" and that was basicaly coming from a self built pond.

But anyway , when i connected a hose to the outlet the internal turbine did not produce enough energy after

And low head water turbines spring to my mind too, as they have a long draft tube attached to the outlet of the turbine to increase the suction of the incoming water so the waterpreasure from the inlet and the suction from the outlet shake hands

But for sure that is not the idea behind that threads gadget to leave the tap running for some watts :roll: