Cheap Low head Hydro

Water turbines and anything associated
DavB275

Re: Cheap Low head Hydro

Post by DavB275 »

The item in the OP looks a bit like my home made creation I experimented with a while ago.

Off Grid home
3.5kW PV panels 2kW wind turbine
Solar thermal tubes 2500L thermal store
Perge log boiler
6 x Pylontech batteries
9kVa Lister generator
nowty

Post by nowty »

DavB275 wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:23 pm The item in the OP looks a bit like my home made creation I experimented with a while ago.

@DavB275, what annual yield you get on your 2kW wind turbine ?
15.2kW PV > 100MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 19MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

A community energy project not far from us tried very hard to get a low head hydro system installed on a local river, using an old mill leat. Sadly I think they've given up now, as the opposition from the fly fishing crowd was just too well organised. The river is a popular trout stream, and one of its tributaries runs alongside our garden. We know that it's got a lot of fish, as we've had otters come into our garden a few times, so the trout are presumably going a long way upstream. The community energy project seems to now be concentrating on solar, together with the electric car hire scheme they've been running for a while now. The latter is brilliant, anyone can hire "Sparky" for a very reasonable price, and they make sure the car is fully charged when collected and recharge it on return. "Sparky" has got at least one person we know to shift to an EV, after they hired the car a few times. They charge £30.03 per 24 hour period, including charging, which is pretty cheap IMHO, or you can hire the car for £5.50 for one hour, with the next three hours charged at £1.83/hour.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
DavB275

Post by DavB275 »

@nowty Regret I don't have any way of measuring/recording data from the turbine. All I can say is with a steady 20-30mph wind it does slow down the rate of discharge of the batteries significantly. The few occasions we have had very windy nights (40mph +), it will keep them fully charged. Sorry I can't be more scientific than this.
Off Grid home
3.5kW PV panels 2kW wind turbine
Solar thermal tubes 2500L thermal store
Perge log boiler
6 x Pylontech batteries
9kVa Lister generator
GarethC

Post by GarethC »

This is my friend's startup. Still early days.

https://kinetic-hydro.com/