High altitude hydro

Water turbines and anything associated
nowty

Re: High altitude hydro

Post by nowty »

I recall someone on St Elsewhere, (might have been Hermit), who ran about 1/4 mile of plastic pipe down from a pond down their hillside for DIY Hydro. When they got the water flowing they shut off a valve at the bottom and bang, instant pipe destruction. I guess trying to stop 1/4 mile of water from moving in an instant is against the laws of physics. :?

I think they improvised a very slow closing valve to get round the problem. :mrgreen:
15.2kW PV > 100MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 19MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

nowty wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:32 pm I recall someone on St Elsewhere, (might have been Hermit), who ran about 1/4 mile of plastic pipe down from a pond down their hillside for DIY Hydro. When they got the water flowing they shut off a valve at the bottom and bang, instant pipe destruction. I guess trying to stop 1/4 mile of water from moving in an instant is against the laws of physics. :?

I think they improvised a very slow closing valve to get round the problem. :mrgreen:
I'm sure you are correct.
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
openspaceman

Post by openspaceman »

This is how a hydraulic ram pump works; water accelerates down a pipe until its velocity drags a valve shut. The impulse created by suddenly stopping the flow then pushes the water up hill via a one way valve. The pressure subsides and the valve opens restarting the cycle.

We had one on the estate that filled a 1700 gallon tank in the main house loft 200 yards away and 100ft higher up.
Morso S11
FIT
16 Sharp PV panels facing WSW 4kW
Solarmax 4200S inverter
Non FIT
3 Canadian solar DC coupled 1.75kW facing SSE
Storage
Growatt SPA3000TL BL inverter ac coupled
Growatt GBLI6532 6.5kWh lithium phosphate battery
Ph.

Post by Ph. »

We have a ram pump here, built out of 3/4” plumbing parts, 6m head to pump, 35m head to storage tanks, but I only run it in the winter now when there isn’t surplus electricity. Amazing though the ram pump is at less than 85% efficient we can’t afford that much water going downstream when it’s dry in the summer, & just turning a switch is much easier!

Ph.
Off grid cabin
24V 750Ah LA batteries
Approx 3.5kWp solar, various orientations
Hugh Piggott 3f WT approx 1kW
Victron inverters
2015 Zoe
ecogeorge

Post by ecogeorge »

Ph. wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:29 pm We have a ram pump here, built out of 3/4” plumbing parts, 6m head to pump, 35m head to storage tanks, but I only run it in the winter now when there isn’t surplus electricity. Amazing though the ram pump is at less than 85% efficient we can’t afford that much water going downstream when it’s dry in the summer, & just turning a switch is much easier!

Ph.
6m head :D :D :D :D
Surely that's Pico hydro project in the making ?
George
1600w Vertical PV micro inverters
2000w almost horizontal/south
Aarrow Becton 7 Woodburner
Dream 3kw ASHP only connected to summer Pool.
Allotment heavy clay.
1.784kw Kirk Hill
0.875kw Derril Water
0.2kwWhitelaw Brae
1kw Harlow Hydro.