Water turbines and anything associated
Countrypaul

Re: MULTIPLE CONNECTIONS TO PYLON TECH 2.4 KW BATTERIES

Post by Countrypaul »

Nowty, the OP aid 48v 3 phase, that does't sound like DC to me
nowty

Post by nowty »

Countrypaul wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:15 pm Nowty, the OP aid 48v 3 phase, that does't sound like DC to me
The OP says its goes through a controller, if you look on their website there is only one controller they do and thats with DC output. If he has not bought the controller he needs to.
15.2kW PV > 100MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 19MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
AGT

Post by AGT »

3 phase wild ac into bridge rectifier- DC out

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/bridge-r ... lsrc=aw.ds
Countrypaul

Post by Countrypaul »

nowty wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:40 pm
Countrypaul wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:15 pm Nowty, the OP aid 48v 3 phase, that does't sound like DC to me
The OP says its goes through a controller, if you look on their website there is only one controller they do and thats with DC output. If he has not bought the controller he needs to.
So does that mean the WT produces 48v 3 phase AC which he control anel retifies to 48V DC which then goes to an inverter to produce 230v AC?

I also found this which I could not locate on the Future Energy site: https://voltaconsolar.com/mpattachments ... t_id/1866/
ALAN/ALAN D

Post by ALAN/ALAN D »

Ref. “ generator and into there control box inverter and will then be taken to the house C T CLAMPS . “

There is no connection from the system to House A.C.
No C.T. Clamps required.

The alternator needs to be connected to a three phase bridge rectifier. #Which is inside the controller. . The control box. Outputs D.C. That charges the batteries.
There is no connection to the house A.C. Grid supply.

* DC Voltage requires an additional bridge rectifier ** Voltage and current will depend on connected electrical system. For example; a system charging 48V battery bank will reduce generator voltage to the battery charge voltage and increase current. Values quoted assume fixed resistance loads.

£3,295.00 is a lot of money.

This Ebay alternator is starting bid of £300

bridge rectifier about £40

You will only need a P.V. To battery charger. About £100

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/355397875682 ... p_homepage

How far is water wheel away from the house.

The Pylontech battery system is not a good way to go.

it would appear that batteries begin to be limited below 18 degree C, severely limited below 10 degrees C, and completely restricted from charging below 2 degrees C.

The Pylontech battery has 15 cells in series, so 53.2V equates to 3.55V per cell. This is very highly charged and makes the system prone to go over voltage.

Better systems use 16 LIFP04 cells.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Alan,

This is not my experience of Pylontechs at all. Where are you getting the info and experience from? it's wrong. In fact it's nonsense and disinformation to a new member who has already stated that he's not that savvy.

This said from 5 years of running Pylontechs in a garage with outdoor airtemps down to minus 15 at the extreme with no issues.

"The Pylontech battery system is not a good way to go.

it would appear that batteries begin to be limited below 18 degree C, severely limited below 10 degrees C, and completely restricted from charging below 2 degrees C.

The Pylontech battery has 15 cells in series, so 53.2V equates to 3.55V per cell. This is very highly charged and makes the system prone to go over voltage.

Better systems use 16 LIFP04 cells."
16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
ALAN/ALAN D

Post by ALAN/ALAN D »

If you Google. “ it would appear that batteries begin to be limited below 18 degree C, severely limited below 10 degrees C, and completely restricted from charging below 2 degrees C “

You get taken to the Victron Energy website.

Maybe they have no under standing of battery systems.

Victron & Pylontech UP2500, US2000, US3000, US2000C, ...

Victron Energy
https://www.victronenergy.com › live › battery...
PDF
Community it would appear that batteries begin to be limited below 18 degree C, severely limited below 10 degrees C, and completely restricted from charging ...

I decided not to use them when I went to a place that sells them. I was allowed out the back. I asked why there was a container full of them. I was told there waiting to be sent back.

This is a copy from the site.

My system isn't charging at the rated capacity, or my PV is shutting down
Pylontech's BMS will restrict the Charge Current Limit of the battery in cold weather. The precise temperatures and limits are not published by Pylontech, but anecdotally from reports on Victron Community it would appear that batteries begin to be limited below 18 degree C, severely limited below 10 degrees C, and completely restricted from charging below 2 degrees C.

You can confirm if this is affecting your installation be entering the Pylontech Battery menu on your GX device, and then the Parameters Menu. This will report the Charge Current Limit (CCL) and Discharge Current Limit (DCL). This information is also logged in the advanced section of the VRM monitoring portal.
Tinbum

Post by Tinbum »

ALAN/ALAN D wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:50 pm

My system isn't charging at the rated capacity, or my PV is shutting down
Pylontech's BMS will restrict the Charge Current Limit of the battery in cold weather. The precise temperatures and limits are not published by Pylontech, but anecdotally from reports on Victron Community it would appear that batteries begin to be limited below 18 degree C, severely limited below 10 degrees C, and completely restricted from charging below 2 degrees C.

You can confirm if this is affecting your installation be entering the Pylontech Battery menu on your GX device, and then the Parameters Menu. This will report the Charge Current Limit (CCL) and Discharge Current Limit (DCL). This information is also logged in the advanced section of the VRM monitoring portal.
This is what it actually is for pylon batteries- well at least pre C type

But my US3000C are at 9.5 degrees at the moment and still requesting 37A which is normal.
85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, 8kWh Growatt storage, 22 x US3000C Pylontech, Sofar ME3000's, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW
Countrypaul

Post by Countrypaul »

The future energy site lists their generator at £1260 and the Airforce controller at £990 - the figure of £3295 if for a complete wind turbine with generator and control box as far as I see it.

The Future energy site only appears to have 1000W generators which may be overkill since the waterwheel appears to have a theoretical power of 275W which in practice will be a much lower output.

The Airforce control box seems to control the Wind Turbine overspeed by applying a brake - Presumably based on the information from the anemometer so not sure that can be applied to a waterwheel.

Colscott have a look a this therad and the videos on it since you are looking at something similar: https://camelot-forum.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... =29&t=2563

Given the low power output of your waterwheel (compared to the Kris Harbour one) it would seem that you might just need ar bridge rectifier and charge controller then into the pylontechs - the Airforce controller appearing to be massive overkill. If you PV goes to the hybrid converter then the voltage might be much higher than that from the waterwheel - someone else might be able to clarify that but it s not clear to me how the PV panels are connected.
AlBargey

Post by AlBargey »

Yeah, I don't see any big issue with 15s, and the Pylontechs seem to work well and be reliable. It's just less common now and maybe a tiny bit more efficient to run an inverter at the slightly higher voltage of 16s.

It's also common for decent batteries to adjust DCL and CCL based on temperature, the EVE datasheets and my Gotion datasheets have limits based on temperature, so it should be implemented if possible and Pylontech does it.

I've set my own based on the Gotion 340Ah datasheet, this is a fraction of the 0.5c rating (170A)

TEMPERATURE_LIMITS_WHILE_CHARGING = 0, 5, 10, 15, 20, 35, 40, 50, 55
MAX_CHARGE_CURRENT_T_FRACTION = 0, 0.3, 0.6, 1, 1, 1, 1, 0.6, 0

TEMPERATURE_LIMITS_WHILE_DISCHARGING = -20, 0, 5, 10, 15, 45, 55
MAX_DISCHARGE_CURRENT_T_FRACTION = 0, 0.4, 0.6, 0.8, 1, 1, 0

Here's a single Pylontech US5000 I installed for an off-grid water filtration system. Over the last 7 days, you can see DCL and CCL vs Temperature:

38m Barge, Solar (10.6 kWp), 26 kWh of LFP, Victron Quattro 8 kVA, CerboGX, 3,500L STP, 57kVa Perkins
Our live data: https://vrm.victronenergy.com/installat ... e/c76c4bf6