MULTIPLE CONNECTIONS TO PYLON TECH 2.4 KW BATTERIES

Water turbines and anything associated
Joeboy

Re: MULTIPLE CONNECTIONS TO PYLON TECH 2.4 KW BATTERIES

Post by Joeboy »

ALAN/ALAN D wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:50 pm If you Google. “ it would appear that batteries begin to be limited below 18 degree C, severely limited below 10 degrees C, and completely restricted from charging below 2 degrees C “

You get taken to the Victron Energy website.

Maybe they have no under standing of battery systems.

Victron & Pylontech UP2500, US2000, US3000, US2000C, ...

Victron Energy
https://www.victronenergy.com › live › battery...
PDF
Community it would appear that batteries begin to be limited below 18 degree C, severely limited below 10 degrees C, and completely restricted from charging ...

I decided not to use them when I went to a place that sells them. I was allowed out the back. I asked why there was a container full of them. I was told there waiting to be sent back.

This is a copy from the site.

My system isn't charging at the rated capacity, or my PV is shutting down
Pylontech's BMS will restrict the Charge Current Limit of the battery in cold weather. The precise temperatures and limits are not published by Pylontech, but anecdotally from reports on Victron Community it would appear that batteries begin to be limited below 18 degree C, severely limited below 10 degrees C, and completely restricted from charging below 2 degrees C.

You can confirm if this is affecting your installation be entering the Pylontech Battery menu on your GX device, and then the Parameters Menu. This will report the Charge Current Limit (CCL) and Discharge Current Limit (DCL). This information is also logged in the advanced section of the VRM monitoring portal.
As I said, disinformation and thank you for confirming it to be based on no personal hands on experience. Why bring that?
OP, your pylontechs will be fine. I have been running them for 5 years and never seen them throttled back due to low temperature.

'It would appear' :roll: 'a bloke down the pub told me' :lol:

As for the sarcasm 'Maybe they have no under standing of battery systems.'
Don't bother, just bring decent info instead preferably 1st hand or not at all.

There are enough people on here that use pylontechs that we can give people direct experience rather than rely on Google searches and parroting?

I personally have seen cold throttling and dropoff in performance in my Lithium ion powertool batteries. The chargers won't below around 3 degs and the batteries output drops of significantly when in use which is a PITA with Winter chainsawing.

I have never seen this throttling in my LFP's either in Pylontech or DIY stack build and that in and output is logged in the hybrid inverter software and has been for years.

Maybe give thought to editing Alan rather than defending a position based on zero experience & disinformation regardless of original intention?

Thanks AL, that's quality. Great help and info.
Last edited by Joeboy on Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

OP, any photo's or links to the diy waterwheel? I'm sure i'm not the only one who would like to see it? 8-)

200W is a handy wee bit of power 24/7. As Nowty said, you will have an un used top & bottom stud on the pylontechs, you can connect there with appropriate cables (ebay sell them). Just make sure you have an understanding of the controller (assuming DC direct from waterwheel generator to batteries) and how you will control the dumpload once the batteries are full as the wheel will keep outputting.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
COLSCOTT

Post by COLSCOTT »

OK Guys
I'm closing this thread for now as I now am able to proceed with the connection of the new generator and batteries . I will of course let you all know how things progress plus photos to follow . Thanks again .
Tinbum

Post by Tinbum »

AlBargey wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:37 pm
Here's a single Pylontech US5000 I installed for an off-grid water filtration system. Over the last 7 days, you can see DCL and CCL vs Temperature:

That's a great graph and factual.
85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, 8kWh Growatt storage, 22 x US3000C Pylontech, Sofar ME3000's, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW
Tinbum

Post by Tinbum »

COLSCOTT wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:05 am OK Guys
I'm closing this thread for now as I now am able to proceed with the connection of the new generator and batteries . I will of course let you all know how things progress plus photos to follow . Thanks again .
The advice I would give is just make sure that their is no way for the voltage to go above 53.2v at any time and try to incorporate a feedback system from the batteries to the water wheel.
85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, 8kWh Growatt storage, 22 x US3000C Pylontech, Sofar ME3000's, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Tinbum wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:06 am
AlBargey wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:37 pm
Here's a single Pylontech US5000 I installed for an off-grid water filtration system. Over the last 7 days, you can see DCL and CCL vs Temperature:

I checked going back to 8th Jan. We've been down to minus 6 overnight and minus 3 through the day. There is only 100W or so variance in the charge rate. Its 3.4kW constantly until the battery hits 88% and then it slows down to 3kW but that is by design as confirmed by Pylontech a few years back.
The green line is soc while the purple is charging btw. Maybe i'd see more variance on a 5kW system but mine is 3.6kW. Maybe its a Victron thing? :whistle:

Last edited by Joeboy on Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
MoSTiE

Post by MoSTiE »

this might be of interest... there's also a nice grafana dashboard ..... nowty :lol:

https://community.victronenergy.com/que ... at-90.html
AlBargey

Post by AlBargey »

Tinbum wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:06 am

Just to be clear, that graph is the Pylontech (a single US5000) requested limits being sent to the inverter + solar charge controller, it's not the serial battery driver I use with my Victron system for my own batteries. You can see it adjusting between full whack of 80A and it goes down to 5A CCL + 10A DCL at 1°c

I do find with my own batteries they warm themselves up when charging and slowly increase the limits as the sun comes up, so Maybe @Joeboy it's not particularly noticeable, especially when you have a large stack!?

@ OP I'm interested to see what's inside the future energy control box, does it have a resistive dump load, will it / can it be programmed to work ok with a small waterwheel?
38m Barge, Solar (10.6 kWp), 26 kWh of LFP, Victron Quattro 8 kVA, CerboGX, 3,500L STP, 57kVa Perkins
Our live data: https://vrm.victronenergy.com/installat ... e/c76c4bf6
Tinbum

Post by Tinbum »

AlBargey wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:51 am Just to be clear, that graph is the Pylontech throttling itself, (a single US5000) it's not the serial battery driver I use with my Victron system for my own batteries. You can see it adjusting between full whack of 80A and it goes down to 5A CCL + 10A DCL at 1°c
Yes, I realised that.

Your graph is also showing the battery temp as reported by the actual battery itself and not ambient temp as I presume Joeboy is reporting.

My observation was also the temperature as reported by the battery. Mine have been down to about 3 degrees in the recent weeks. 3 of my stacks have over 7 batteries so I've notice no throttling.

I do have a stack with 2 batteries and haven't noticed any throttling but then I've only been charging at a max of 30A anyway, but i do watch settings in node red and haven't noticed it there. EDIT at the moment they are at 8.4 degrees and still requesting 37A each.

These settings are all related to the battery chemistry and are a GOOD thing.
Last edited by Tinbum on Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tinbum

Post by Tinbum »

AlBargey wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:51 am @ OP I'm interested to see what's inside the future energy control box, does it have a resistive dump load, will it / can it be programmed to work ok with a small waterwheel?
Those turbines used to be supplied with a very simple control system- I'll see is I can dig out some old instructions.