"Is this the end for the traditional British watermill?"

Water turbines and anything associated
AE-NMidlands

"Is this the end for the traditional British watermill?"

Post by AE-NMidlands »

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... -watermill
"Is this the end for the traditional British watermill?" Hardly traditional, but...
Hundreds of mills could be converted to generate clean electricity – but the Environment Agency has just raised application fees by up to 790%
New hydropower schemes to help transform and preserve some of the country’s historic watermills face being wrecked by a huge increase in application fees, energy campaigners warn.

Some watermills have already had turbines installed to generate clean electricity, but campaigners say there are hundreds more across Britain which could be converted to hydropower to help conserve the sites and power the nation.

The Environment Agency now faces criticism for discouraging small-scale hydropower schemes which can be installed in watermills after increasing application costs on 1 April in England from £1,500 to fees ranging from £6,110 to £13,392 – in some cases, a 790% increase. A decade ago, the application fee for a hydropower scheme was just £135.

The money is not returned for an unsuccessful application, meaning many potential schemes are likely to be unaffordable.
etc
The govt. really are "cutting the green crap" aren't they? Underfund the EA so it can't protect the environment any more, put up consent charges to prevent green energy schemes going ahead... It seems to me that you can almost rely on them to do the wrong thing.
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
billi

Re: "Is this the end for the traditional British watermill?"

Post by billi »

What a disaster to move that route !

Wouöd be much better to investigate into natural sound hydro ideas , instead of banning them

Same here in Germany https://renewablesnow.com/news/germanys ... ns-781124/
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

There is always a bureaucrat somewhere who, on a fundamental level, doesn’t get it…
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Govt, shallower than the millponds themselves.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
renewablejohn

Post by renewablejohn »

Stealth is your friend when it comes to hydro.
smegal

Post by smegal »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 1:11 pm https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... -watermill
"Is this the end for the traditional British watermill?" Hardly traditional, but...
Hundreds of mills could be converted to generate clean electricity – but the Environment Agency has just raised application fees by up to 790%
New hydropower schemes to help transform and preserve some of the country’s historic watermills face being wrecked by a huge increase in application fees, energy campaigners warn.

Some watermills have already had turbines installed to generate clean electricity, but campaigners say there are hundreds more across Britain which could be converted to hydropower to help conserve the sites and power the nation.

The Environment Agency now faces criticism for discouraging small-scale hydropower schemes which can be installed in watermills after increasing application costs on 1 April in England from £1,500 to fees ranging from £6,110 to £13,392 – in some cases, a 790% increase. A decade ago, the application fee for a hydropower scheme was just £135.

The money is not returned for an unsuccessful application, meaning many potential schemes are likely to be unaffordable.
etc
The govt. really are "cutting the green crap" aren't they? Underfund the EA so it can't protect the environment any more, put up consent charges to prevent green energy schemes going ahead... It seems to me that you can almost rely on them to do the wrong thing.
A
If you think that's bad, wait until you see the cost of fish (or worse, eel) protection measures. Unfortunately, the cost of making sure fish don't get minced is an expensive business. Common sense would allow for dispensations for smaller schemes.
nowty

Post by nowty »

renewablejohn wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:09 pm Stealth is your friend when it comes to hydro.
Similar to my water sourced heat pump. ;)

Nothing to see here. :lol:
15.2kW PV > 100MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 19MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
renewablejohn

Post by renewablejohn »

nowty wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:34 pm
renewablejohn wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:09 pm Stealth is your friend when it comes to hydro.
Similar to my water sourced heat pump. ;)

Nothing to see here. :lol:
Have always been impressed with your effort with this so much so if I ever get ny class Q planning on my chicken shed conversion then this is how it will be heated.
renewablejohn

Post by renewablejohn »

Seems like Wales is not a good place to have a hydro system.

https://www.westerntelegraph.co.uk/news ... c-turbine/

Government really do need to sort out this mess an actually encourage hydro generation.
Mart

Post by Mart »

What really 'grinds my gears' and also saddens me, is that this is just temporary abstraction, with negligible water loss and reflects historic water use, even if the mills haven't operated for years/decades.

I'm not trying to second guess the 'experts', and I assume there is something to consider, but this water is returned quickly, and only a short(ish) distance downstream/river, so even the old £1,500 fee is somewhat extreme/ridiculous.

Edit - Just a thought, but over the last year or so, the Gov has started to backtrack on some of its blatant anti-RE decisions, such as on-shore wind planning. Plus the invasion of Ukraine has proven the need to accelerate RE rollout asap, if only for financial reasons (reduce gas demand/peak prices). So maybe some reversal is possible.

But that said, this price increase was after the invasion started last year, and gas prices had been spiking prior to that ..... so maybe not. :(
3.58kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV.
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.