IPCC sixth report.

nowty

Re: IPCC sixth report.

Post by nowty »

spread-tee wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:00 pm James Lovelock, thought provoking as always,

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... isis-earth

shame we didn't listen to him 40 years ago :roll:

Desp
One of the things in that article is exactly what I have been thinking about for years as the melting ice is helping to reduce the overall temperature rises because of all the latent heat it requires to change ice into water (i.e. a solid into a liquid).

But once the ice is gone .......................................................

"Much of the confusion over global heating comes about because of the huge quantities of heat needed to change the state of water. Few are aware that to melt a gram of ice takes 80 calories, enough heat to raise the temperature of 1ml of water to 80C. Try an ice cube in your boiling hot tea.

Then imagine how much heat was needed to melt large areas of the polar ice cap during the recent summer and how much hotter the world would have been if the ice had not been there. No wonder there is confusion about whether there is global heating or not."

I recall remembering this short cartoon from Futurama which gives you the point.

15.2kW PV > 100MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 19MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
spread-tee

Post by spread-tee »

Absolutely, I believe this is one of the positive feedback mechanisms that scientists are really worried about, it's a triple whammy.

First as you say the latent heat holds temperatures down until a large proportion of the ice is gone,
secondly there needs to be a huge amount of heat withdrawn from the earth system to re-freeze the poles and high glaciers,
and thirdly the earths albedo reduces quite a bit without the snow and ice cover, which ensures more heat is absorbed.

Then there's Methane Clathrates in the permafrost :shock:

Desp
Blah blah blah
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

nowty wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:12 pm
spread-tee wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:00 pm James Lovelock, thought provoking as always,

Desp
One of the things in that article is exactly what I have been thinking about for years as the melting ice is helping to reduce the overall temperature rises because of all the latent heat it requires to change ice into water (i.e. a solid into a liquid).

But once the ice is gone .......................................................

"Much of the confusion over global heating comes about because of the huge quantities of heat needed to change the state of water. Few are aware that to melt a gram of ice takes 80 calories, enough heat to raise the temperature of 1ml of water to 80C. Try an ice cube in your boiling hot tea.

Then imagine how much heat was needed to melt large areas of the polar ice cap during the recent summer and how much hotter the world would have been if the ice had not been there. No wonder there is confusion about whether there is global heating or not."

I recall remembering this short cartoon from Futurama which gives you the point.

It’s not just the state-change that is slowing down warming, also the snow/ice covered areas reflect heat back into space. Once that is gone temperature rise accelerates.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
spread-tee

Post by spread-tee »

Stinsy wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:22 am
nowty wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:12 pm

Desp

It’s not just the state-change that is slowing down warming, also the snow/ice covered areas reflect heat back into space. Once that is gone temperature rise accelerates.
That'll be the Albedo then ;)

Desp
Blah blah blah
Ken

Post by Ken »

Turkeys dont vote for xmas.

I remember back along the liberals campaigned on increasing tax by 1p to pay for NHS. They were annihilated at the polls - finished and yet it has been done 3 ? times since then.

The Gov, any gov can only do what the majority public will allow them to do - as long as we have democracy and free press.
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »