COP out 26

spread-tee

Re: COP out 26

Post by spread-tee »

True Ken, there is a balance to be struck, but they do need to commit and stick to it, EG 100Bn to developing countries was pledged ten years ago...............still waiting

Desp
Blah blah blah
Mart

Post by Mart »

Ken wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:02 pm Rome was not built in a day and Turkeys dont vote for Xmas.
But the cost of action is far, far less than the cost of inaction*. So not only do we continually vote for Xmas, but we're doing our best to bring the date forward.

*I recall some numbers from the US suggesting that every dollar spent on mitigation was worth about $7 spent on adaptation. Or to put it another way, every $1 spent on adaptation instead of mitigation, increases the adaptation bill by another $6. So if we really can't afford to act quickly now, then we, or more correctly our children, are seriously ......!
3.58kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV.
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Mart wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:22 pm
Ken wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:02 pm Rome was not built in a day and Turkeys dont vote for Xmas.
But the cost of action is far, far less than the cost of inaction*. So not only do we continually vote for Xmas, but we're doing our best to bring the date forward.
I totally agree in money terms but not in political terms for some.

Biden has battles even within his own party and his treading a very fine line over what is possible in the USA

Australia gov. cannot vote against coal because the Nationalist party would not support them and the gov would collapse promoting a new election, not good for the "turkey"
Mart

Post by Mart »

Ken wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:09 am
Mart wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:22 pm
I totally agree in money terms but not in political terms for some.

Biden has battles even within his own party and his treading a very fine line over what is possible in the USA

Australia gov. cannot vote against coal because the Nationalist party would not support them and the gov would collapse promoting a new election, not good for the "turkey"
Fair enough Ken, I misunderstood thinking you meant the people, who I believe are turkey's voting for Xmas. But yes, the political leaders who stand in the way, because they don't want to lose their positions, nor the support of some of the populace, are clearly turkey's not voting for Xmas at COP 26, as you said. Ironically though, those turkey's are voting to turn most of the World into one giant oven!

Maybe, just maybe, the real message about the climate crisis will now work its way through ...... and then I suspect those politicians will get blamed for not acting fast enough.

Interestingly, it seems that state governments in Australia are doing a lot to act on the climate crisis, and RE is very popular, whilst the main government is trying to slow things down, but keep getting elected by the people in those Aussie states ...... what a crazy mixed up message voters there are giving.
3.58kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV.
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
spread-tee

Post by spread-tee »

Interesting article from George about public attitudes to change and how fast it can be,

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... sobedience

we need to keep up the pressure on our leaders.

Desp
Blah blah blah
Sunrisemike

Post by Sunrisemike »

James lovelock, now 102, has come out with a new book, novacene, which has some intersing theories in it. Have been a supporter of his gaia theory since his first book. He beleives there are ways of keeping temperatures down, through science, and WI. Worth a read.lp
Off grid.
3.9 kw solar panels
6 x solar collectors
40 kWh rolls batteries
Orligno wood gasification boiler
2000 litre storage tank
Lister generator...