Glad I'm not in Norway

John_S

Re: Glad I'm not in Norway

Post by John_S »

If I recall correctly from when I audited an electric company in the early 80's, commercial/industrial users have always had half hour meters and part of their monthly charge was based on the maximum half hourly demand/consumption. Norway is extending this policy to domestic customers.

And it worked in days before smart meters were a figment of the imagination.

Also, when I lived in Korea in 2005-7, domestic electricity bills had a tiered pricing structure with the unit kWh cost going up as one consumed more. It was a means of subsidising poorer consumers, but of course only worked with state monopolies.
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Thanks for the additional information JohnS.
Tinbum, can you remind us as to your smart / not smart twin meters!?

& Here was I on the cusp of *finally* asking for concise contractual details pertaining to smart, having matured, only to find its still fecked.
Apologies for spelling, More incomers (might explain our reduced charge) ..5 amps ffsr
In short lots of new folk kicked out of london, More strain on infrastructure (I think)
Nice folk though.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Tinbum

Post by Tinbum »

Mr Gus wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:50 am Tinbum, can you remind us as to your smart / not smart twin meters!?
I live on a farm so we have a meter for the house and one for the farm buildings, both 3 phase.

I just wonder if this Norway thing is going to come over here. They, I believe, have had the largest take up of electric vehicles and are they now finding problems? It's great having tariffs such as Go but how is this going to work in the future when everyone tries to charge in a small cheap time slot.

On here, we are interested in all of this stuff, but what's going to happen with the general public that aren't interested and just want to plug their car in. I have friend that has never changed his electricity supplier or tariff for years despite me saying how much he could save. If he wants to waste money then that's up to him, but look at the state of the electricity suppliers now. They are stuck with price caps that the government have come up with partly because of people like my friend.
85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, 8kWh Growatt storage, 22 x US3000C Pylontech, Sofar ME3000's, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Tinbum wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:24 am
Mr Gus wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:50 am Tinbum, can you remind us as to your smart / not smart twin meters!?
I live on a farm so we have a meter for the house and one for the farm buildings, both 3 phase.

I just wonder if this Norway thing is going to come over here. They, I believe, have had the largest take up of electric vehicles and are they now finding problems? It's great having tariffs such as Go but how is this going to work in the future when everyone tries to charge in a small cheap time slot.

On here, we are interested in all of this stuff, but what's going to happen with the general public that aren't interested and just want to plug their car in. I have friend that has never changed his electricity supplier or tariff for years despite me saying how much he could save. If he wants to waste money then that's up to him, but look at the state of the electricity suppliers now. They are stuck with price caps that the government have come up with partly because of people like my friend.
The cheap rate exists because the grid has a problem of excess supply and a dearth of demand at that time. The more people who shift their usage into that slot the better. There certainly is no possibility of the grid becoming overloaded during the cheap period...

BTW: Did you say you had a 3-phase smart meter? I thought they were mythical?
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Tinbum

Post by Tinbum »

Stinsy wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:33 am
The cheap rate exists because the grid has a problem of excess supply and a dearth of demand at that time. The more people who shift their usage into that slot the better. There certainly is no possibility of the grid becoming overloaded during the cheap period...

BTW: Did you say you had a 3-phase smart meter? I thought they were mythical?
The problem I can see is going to be the 'dearth of demand' period will disappear as everyone will be pugging in electric vehicles on a night time. Clever charging will spread the load but i can foresee a shift in demand from what we have currently.

Smart 3 phase meters have been around since about August last year but it's been difficult to get one. Mine was fitted in the summer. Earlier this year I was with BG (after being moved from Ebico) and the meter fitter that came out to fit me a 'smart' meter said he had never heard of them and that BG didn't fit them when he enquired with head office.
85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, 8kWh Growatt storage, 22 x US3000C Pylontech, Sofar ME3000's, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW