Small things matter

Wood stoves, pellets and other bio-fuels
Joeboy

Re: Small things matter

Post by Joeboy »

Started in on the final Three PV musketeers. Using as many old timbers as possible. This is the carrier board, it will be fixed to the facsia board with a total of 52 No5 s/s screws. I do like a belts & braces never think of it again approach.

The board was pre treated but years old so drier than a witches.... bringing it back with duckback black (with wax).

Will get it on tomorrow and hopefully have a heat up and hammer form of the first solar panel carrying gutter spanning bracket! :twisted:

Blasted out the gutters and inadvertently trialled the no block chicken wire filter with the ensuing mini-tsunamil debris flood. Worked REALLY well.

Away to do another coat on the board. Just one more wafer thin..

18.2kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Joe,

Just a thought but how well attached is the facia board and are some of your screws going to be catching the ends of the roof trusses?
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Fintray wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 7:43 pm Joe,

Just a thought but how well attached is the facia board and are some of your screws going to be catching the ends of the roof trusses?

Nice one Ian, thank you. I literally walked out into back garden and thought "600mm centres", or is it 800mm? A trip to the loft is required! The panels are 26kgs a pop. Call it 100kgs with a bit of wind upthrust? That is based on hee haw, just feeling it. :ugeek:
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

600mm is usual.
3.87kWp PV
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
Morso 5kW WBS
Nissan Leaf
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Fintray wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 8:15 pm600mm is usual.
Thanks Ian. I'll do a bit of echotesting tomorrow. See how many are hit or miss! :D
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Joeboy wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 8:52 pm
Thanks Ian. I'll do a bit of echotesting tomorrow. See how many are hit or miss! :D
Should have said 400mm and 600mm are usual but depends on roof structure, you could also try removing the soffit if possible, as that will allow you to see the exact position of the ends of the trusses.
3.87kWp PV
Tesla Powerwall 2
Morso 5kW WBS
Nissan Leaf
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Fintray wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:19 pm
Joeboy wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 8:52 pm
Should have said 400mm and 600mm are usual but depends on roof structure, you could also try removing the soffit if possible, as that will allow you to see the exact position of the ends of the trusses.
I'll.do a bit of pre drilling before I put the board up. Easy enough to measure in from the outside edge to find truss ends. Whack in some 80mm no5 screws then fit the black waxed facsia board. I'll also take the time to to align the board and predrill through to fix some rawlplugs too. Aim for a 1/2 tonne worth of fixings. Thanks again Ian. SWMBO has already tracked down a very used stained glass window for the Southfacing side of the bootroom that doesn't exist! :)
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

I found five joist ends and screwed through with a No6 & a No5 100mm screw and s/s flatwasher into each one.

I had remarked the facsia board so simple enough to drill and fit 52 blue rawl plugs, yep 52! :twisted:

Board on and 52 No5 50mm long s/s screws and flat load spreading washers fitted. I've run them up to 1/2 tight and will torque tomorrow once the board has settled overnight.

It will look good for a long time and will easy carry some custom bracketry and a few panel ends. 😀

Cheers Fintray, much appreciated 👏.

Oddly enough the two right hand truss gaps were 800mm centres while the two to the left were 600mm. :x :facepalm:
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

BTW, out of 52 predrilled holes a grand total of 1 hit a rafter end,... 1. :facepalm:

Also out the blue. I'm going to se AC/DC in July. :twisted:

Been up to measure, getting serious now. I reckon I can fly the new string via bracketry in under the two adjacent strings and drop water from the current strings onto the new one. Bit of guttering tieing back into water system as is and we'll be good.

Interested in pole anchoring type scenarios on patios that don't drive me towards excessive digging. As,

A. can't be arsed digging.
B. Nope, A pretty much says it all.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Joeboy wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 5:34 pm BTW, out of 52 predrilled holes a grand total of 1 hit a rafter end,... 1. :facepalm:

Also out the blue. I'm going to se AC/DC in July. :twisted:

Been up to measure, getting serious now. I reckon I can fly the new string via bracketry in under the two adjacent strings and drop water from the current strings onto the new one. Bit of guttering tieing back into water system as is and we'll be good.

Interested in pole anchoring type scenarios on patios that don't drive me towards excessive digging. As,

A. can't be arsed digging.
B. Nope, A pretty much says it all.
That must have taken a certain skill to miss the ends of the five rafters with all but one of those 52 screws! :whistle:

First saw AC/DC at Wembley back in 1979 supporting The Who along with The Stranglers and Nils Lofgren.

The pole is 11 foot long so you only need a small hole of 3 feet or so, just get on with it! :lol:
3.87kWp PV
Tesla Powerwall 2
Morso 5kW WBS
Nissan Leaf