Small things matter

Wood stoves, pellets and other bio-fuels
Stinsy

Re: Small things matter

Post by Stinsy »

We have a discussion in our house every year with me insisting that the heating doesn’t go on until 1st November and eventually caving in sometime in October. However we were away last weekend and got back to a cold house. Luckily the battery had plenty to run the A2A for a few hours.

August?
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Stinsy wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:12 am We have a discussion in our house every year with me insisting that the heating doesn’t go on until 1st November and eventually caving in sometime in October. However we were away last weekend and got back to a cold house. Luckily the battery had plenty to run the A2A for a few hours.

August?
For perspective, it's 10 degs at Scottish place North :o

This is part of my cunning plan. If I keep SWMBO onside by pre-empting the home req's she'll play along with me on the no gas goal.

I feel fortunate that the solar generation is covering this. Use SH's to soak up excess generation through the day and the central 2.4kW unit is timed to come on for two hours through the night. Must seem very early 🤔 to the Southern lads.

It's a handy way to gauge the waning of the season. Although hopefully a few kicks in it yet.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

Joeboy wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:25 am Must seem very early 🤔 to the Southern lads.
Certainly is :shock:

December before we had any heating on last year - there again, we were in Lanza the back end of October and November :lol:

I think when the heating goes on is such a personal thing - after all, home is meant to be comfortable.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Bugtownboy wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:00 am
Joeboy wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:25 am Must seem very early 🤔 to the Southern lads.

December before we had any heating on last year - there again, we were in Lanza the back end of October and November :lol:

I think when the heating goes on is such a personal thing - after all, home is meant to be comfortable.
BTB, I was cutting about Turkish hoose for 6 weeks. HWT on for 30 minutes every 2 days. Zero on heating space, very little on cooling. A great way to live. Gives me a slight window into the benefits of a gentler climate.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Joeboy wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:10 am BTB, I was cutting about Turkish hoose for 6 weeks. HWT on for 30 minutes every 2 days. Zero on heating space, very little on cooling. A great way to live. Gives me a slight window into the benefits of a gentler climate.
My parents used to have a place in Portugal (now sold). I was always comforted by how little energy the house consumed. There was a wood burner that had literally never been used. Solar tubes covered the DHW (with immersion backup that similarly had never been used). A bottle of gas for the hob lasted forever. They didn’t have solar/batteries but a small array and stack would’ve covered the lights/fridge/TV for most of the year.

Northern climbs are much more energy-intensive.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

Joeboy wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:10 am

BTB, I was cutting about Turkish hoose for 6 weeks. HWT on for 30 minutes every 2 days. Zero on heating space, very little on cooling. A great way to live. Gives me a slight window into the benefits of a gentler climate.
I know what you mean - for me, though, it’s not so much the heat/warmth, but the light levels.

I’m fine if we get a high pressure dominated bright, crisp winter, it’s the grey :x ‘gloom’ with successions of depressions that does me.

The lifestyle I aspire to is being outside in just a pair of shorts and crocs all day, cooking and eating outside etc.

I can achieve that here for probably 8-9 months of the year, hence winter get away.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Bugtownboy wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:35 am
Joeboy wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:10 am

I know what you mean - for me, though, it’s not so much the heat/warmth, but the light levels.

I’m fine if we get a high pressure dominated bright, crisp winter, it’s the grey :x ‘gloom’ with successions of depressions that does me.

The lifestyle I aspire to is being outside in just a pair of shorts and crocs all day, cooking and eating outside etc.

I can achieve that here for probably 8-9 months of the year, hence winter get away.
That is a decent goal, pretty excellent for UK. We are April to Oct. Can get away with shorts, boots & a thermal shirt over Tshirt! Ah Summer.

I'm going to see how far we can push the wood use in wbs this year. We seem to be doing OK so far. Again at this time of year a house basket of logs can last most of a week. February, 1 day. At the moment just really enjoying the clean power from PV and no log pile reduction.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
AGT

Post by AGT »

Just found out electric towel radiator element blown…..

Not good, but at least the smart plug advises no power draw so a good indication on when it last worked..
now need to speak to plumber to change over :(

Hall way storage heater going on 1st month as general temps are dropping now at 17.3 deg c getting too low for SWMBO
nowty

Post by nowty »

Hallway storage heater has been on all summer here and I've used the A2A on heat more often than cooling this summer. :lol:

But no grid import since early May. :mrgreen:
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

nowty wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:04 pm Hallway storage heater has been on all summer here and I've used the A2A on heat more often than cooling this summer. :lol:
:shock:

I did think we’d be having some form of heating on last week - MiL came to stay.

House sat at 23-24 so we got away with it :lol: