Wood stoves, pellets and other bio-fuels
AGT

Re: Small things matter

Post by AGT »

60 watt 1 ft long, tool station I think
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Nice, especially in a vestibule. Correct power for the location.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
AGT

Post by AGT »

I’ve had the 2x 2 brick wide storage heaters on for a week now, wood stove on at the weekends, but planning on using stove more now this winter every weekday, even if it’s only a burn for 4/5 hours and then let it die down.

I’m in A better place than last year, and still got a few things to improve so all good!
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

AGT wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:58 pm I’ve had the 2x 2 brick wide storage heaters on for a week now, wood stove on at the weekends, but planning on using stove more now this winter every weekday, even if it’s only a burn for 4/5 hours and then let it die down.

I’m in A better place than last year, and still got a few things to improve so all good!
After setting out the SH's and Hive control plugs last year or two I've now moved onto using standalone resistive heaters to bring power to exactly where its needed fast. An upstairs bathroom in morning and daughters bedroom to be exact while she is here. The SH's will begin going on in a few days or so but I'm enjoying this little section of shoulder months where a kW at the right time and place can make a big difference.

Definitely an ongoing learning process.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Joeboy wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:43 am
AGT wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:58 pm I’ve had the 2x 2 brick wide storage heaters on for a week now, wood stove on at the weekends, but planning on using stove more now this winter every weekday, even if it’s only a burn for 4/5 hours and then let it die down.

After setting out the SH's and Hive control plugs last year or two I've now moved onto using standalone resistive heaters to bring power to exactly where its needed fast. An upstairs bathroom in morning and daughters bedroom to be exact while she is here. The SH's will begin going on in a few days or so but I'm enjoying this little section of shoulder months where a kW at the right time and place can make a big difference.

You’re benefitting from your big battery! You can apply the resistive heat at off-peak prices when needed. For a bedroom this might be for an hour before getting up in the morning and an hour before going to bed. Us lesser-endowed chaps cannot afford to waste precious battery capacity on resistive heat.

A SH is probably still better for living areas where slow leakage of background heat all day is beneficial.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Stinsy wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:00 am

You’re benefitting from your big battery! You can apply the resistive heat at off-peak prices when needed. For a bedroom this might be for an hour before getting up in the morning and an hour before going to bed. Us lesser-endowed chaps cannot afford to waste precious battery capacity on resistive heat.

A SH is probably still better for living areas where slow leakage of background heat all day is beneficial.
Indeed, starting day today with 76% soc after a bit of heat and slow EV charging. I consider the SH's to be batteries in another form. Just checked gas for last year and the goal is to get into 2024 without any Winter gas use. If we can do that we beat this year. Beyond that it will be a negotiation with SWMBO & I hope the SH's & WBS doing it all. :D

I made a fatal.error last year in not running the SH's to their max everyday. SWMBO went radge and the gas flowed. This year I'll play a more political game. :lol:
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
AGT

Post by AGT »

That’s exactly what I do, storage for slow background heat and resistive on the off peak too, generally cause you can find a smaller resistive heater to fit a space, such as an oil filled heater, tubular heater.
Combined with £80 of wireless temp/humidity stats to see the results has been a game changer
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Joeboy wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:09 am

Indeed, starting day today with 76% soc after a bit of heat and slow EV charging. I consider the SH's to be batteries in another form. Just checked gas for last year and the goal is to get into 2024 without any Winter gas use. If we can do that we beat this year. Beyond that it will be a negotiation with SWMBO & I hope the SH's & WBS doing it all. :D

I made a fatal.error last year in not running the SH's to their max everyday. SWMBO went radge and the gas flowed. This year I'll play a more political game. :lol:
I find that it is better to put too much charge your "batteries" than too-little!

We need to get you on the A2A bandwaggon! They're brill at heating a huge volume of air really quickly if needed. Particularly if you're caught out when away from home, you can control the A2A with your phone so the house is toasty by the time you get there. Way more heat for the same battery capacity.

You said the other day you were thinking of dropping £2k on additional batteries. For a little over £1k you could get 2x A2A units that'd have a way bigger impact on your life and would mean you have less need for the bigger battery.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Stinsy wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:17 am
Joeboy wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:09 am

I find that it is better to put too much charge your "batteries" than too-little!

We need to get you on the A2A bandwaggon! They're brill at heating a huge volume of air really quickly if needed. Particularly if you're caught out when away from home, you can control the A2A with your phone so the house is toasty by the time you get there. Way more heat for the same battery capacity.

You said the other day you were thinking of dropping £2k on additional batteries. For a little over £1k you could get 2x A2A units that'd have a way bigger impact on your life and would mean you have less need for the bigger battery.
I used the one in Turkey last Winter and was amazed at the cold blast of air from the external unit. So used to using it in A/C mode with a hot blast. It certainly scavenged all the available air heat as far as I could see. I'd have one in a minute at home but SWMBO remains uncomfortable with the idea. We'll see how it plays out. Great to see the lads on here doing well with them.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
AGT

Post by AGT »

So delivery during the week.
Made the store this morning and filled it up!
Nice to have the drive way back, too easy to forget there is an obstruction in the driveway when reversing