Small things matter

Wood stoves, pellets and other bio-fuels
Joeboy

Re: Small things matter

Post by Joeboy »

In my search for ultimate WBS batch cooking I found an industrial aluminium pot (ex school maybe)? Just finished cleaning it and now steam sterilising. I reckon it's about 3 gallon.

I am looking forward to making a Haggis & Veg Broth next week.
:D

Not bad for £3.

Edit 12ltr pot, 10ltr useable. Wow. :joker:
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

I started the thinning process on the trees last year, the photo below is Sept 23, one year in. Look to the left on the treeline and see how dense it was. I topped about 10 trees last year to see if they'd all come back ok and they have.

It has been truly amazing to see these patches of light instantly pop up in our garden (but not in this photo). I had not really twigged (Hah) to the extent of the shading. Daft eh. Once i've finished I think I'll plant a couple of extra cherry blossom trees in there and maybe an apple tree too as a future surprise.

About twenty to go on top of the ten already done this year. A total of forty trees to get our sunlight back! :facepalm: There is a part of me going ARGGHHHHH at what i'm doing and the desolate way it looks at the moment but it will be great next year and the thousands of saplings in the forest will get their go. :xx:

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Looking good without wrecking the feel of the trees around the border, always going to be a delicate balance but you’ve managed it well in my opinion.

What you need next for the stove is a small metal stool or stand so you can put a pot on it in front of the door to cook using the radiant energy in a Dutch oven style ?

I’ve used my cast iron lotto baker once so far to do three potato’s and wow we were really pleased with the results and the flavour :) I cooked on top of the stove for three hours and then thirty minutes inside on the ash bed to crisp up the skins.

Also dug the panini plate out for later in the week as the log burner is coming in to use more frequently now the colder weather is appearing.

Moxi
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

In The Baillie in Stockbridge this evening.
:D
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Hyundai Ioniq 5 ambulance as seen from my Ioniq 5 driving up from Edinburgh this morning....

Well, I thought it was cool. :hysteria: :whistle:
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

We had some undercabinet led lights replaced at Turkish home while there. I asked the sparky to leave the old ones as most strips working. Home in the backpack, all this talk of battery packs, off grid wheelbarrow power packs etc must have influenced me.

New 4th hand shelf unit in last week, neatened up the turnip battery store (135Ah 12V). Added two undershelf and one uplighter led strips today.

I likes it! Other than the pure joy of being a Womble there is a practical element here. If we lose power I am 12V lights offgrid to the good so I'm not fumbling about in the dark hooking into the 2kW inverter off the 48V packs. Hoping for a decent blow soon to keep the wind turbine batteries topped up. :D

A lot of light for little effort.

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Would I be right in thinking that, whereas 12V systems used to need quite thick wire because of the current flows of older stuff including incandescent lights, you could now just use bellwire for quite a big LED lighting circuit as they seem to run on the voltage alone?
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:21 pm Would I be right in thinking that, whereas 12V systems used to need quite thick wire because of the current flows of older stuff including incandescent lights, you could now just use bellwire for quite a big LED lighting circuit as they seem to run on the voltage alone?
AE, they run on almost air. I have wired these on piss thin Sony surround sound speaker wire. :twisted:
From the womble wiring pile. :D
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:21 pm Would I be right in thinking that, whereas 12V systems used to need quite thick wire because of the current flows of older stuff including incandescent lights, you could now just use bellwire for quite a big LED lighting circuit as they seem to run on the voltage alone?
LEDs are very efficient indeed compared with incandescent so less current for the same amount of light. You do have to worry about voltage drop though if you’re shifting the power a few metres.

Eg a 100W incandescent bulb would be replaced by a 12W LED bulb. 100W is c. 8A at 12V so you’d probably want 4mm² cable over a couple of metres. Whereas 12W is only 1A so 0.5mm² is plenty for the same distance.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Giving WBS2 its first Winter 23 run in the cabin. Windy and raining here. An absolute joy to be doing this. 9 degs at 14.30 in cabin. :winter:

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs