Small things matter

Wood stoves, pellets and other bio-fuels
Joeboy

Re: Small things matter

Post by Joeboy »

Bugtownboy wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:16 pm Think you’re going to have to post that casserole recipe, Joe ;)
No worries, It is predominantly bean driven.

Thinly slice a red onion and fry it off to the colour/flavor you like
Add Chorizio chopped small or sliced from whole
Add beans and cook to infuse
Side pan fry up a clove of garlic, I like a darker brown.
Add this to the beans
Chop up a couple of scotch bonnets, add them too
1/4 tsp paprika
Mix it all up, let it mingle then add two containers of pasata
Leave to cook on WS for a couple of hours, job done.

You'll feed six of of that or twelve if its on the plate as a side.

you can have as many bean varieties as you want 4 tins will get you a thick goulash type consistency.

Below is the soup I am making today, a hot Euro broth with a little of the above in it (1 lb maybe) and then standard broth make up. :D Stock from the ham hocks bones, fat and a little meat. Added barley, split peas and lentils along with two thinly sliced red onions a la French onion soup.

Some life this!

19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

Thanks Joe - not dissimilar to what we do. Good to have other influences, I’m a firm believer in adding pulses to achieve a balanced, healthy diet.

We had Moroccan Bean Casserole last night - Haricot beans, spiced with equal quantities of Ginger, Cumin and Turmeric. Carrot, Onion and Garlic as a base. Add a good handful of chopped coriander and fresh chilli towards the end and finish with a quartered lemon and olives.

Leftovers are morphing into a soup today.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Bugtownboy wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:34 pm Thanks Joe - not dissimilar to what we do. Good to have other influences, I’m a firm believer in adding pulses to achieve a balanced, healthy diet.

We had Moroccan Bean Casserole last night - Haricot beans, spiced with equal quantities of Ginger, Cumin and Turmeric. Carrot, Onion and Garlic as a base. Add a good handful of chopped coriander and fresh chilli towards the end and finish with a quartered lemon and olives.

Leftovers are morphing into a soup today.
Nice one, I'll give it a go.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

Recipe I took it from -

Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Fintray wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:30 pm
Joeboy wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:57 pm SWMBO & I were just having a float about in the pool and chatting about Winter plans. From out the blue she said 'can you use some of those storage heater bricks at the woodstove'. I just stood there as she grinned at me. Project ahoy! :)
Just not sure if SWMBO will like the potential aesthetics...

1st row of three in for a test. The bricks have risen from 9 degs to 135 deg in 90 mins. Would be nice to squeeze a couple on hundred kg's in around the back; under and right hand side. Will be interesting to see the temp tomorrow morning, see if we've flattened the thermal loss curve any.

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

... but you can't cook on it! Do you really /actually need a wood-fired storage heater?
Maybe a bit of both? Bricks up the side, plus a steel plate across the top to transmit heat to a few more bricks piled up on top of the side piles, leaving space to cook on the top?
The other thing is that if the sides can't disperse their heat they might erode away quicker than if they were at a lower / design temp (which might be below a critical point where they don't erode at all.)
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

Joe, can’t remember if it’s come up in the thread, but basically, you’re trying to create a form of masonry stove.

Historically, a main form of hearing in Northern and Central Europe.

Big mass of ‘stone’, long convoluted flue paths, high firing temps, slow release of stored heat.

Some incorporate ovens. Can be architecturally/aesthetically pleasing.

There a few enthusiasts doing DIY stuff and a couple of seemingly very good, modern British builders.

Quick search found this one in your neck of the woods -

http://www.stovemason.com/swedish-kakelugnar/
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:14 pm ... but you can't cook on it! Do you really /actually need a wood-fired storage heater?
Maybe a bit of both? Bricks up the side, plus a steel plate across the top to transmit heat to a few more bricks piled up on top of the side piles, leaving space to cook on the top?
The other thing is that if the sides can't disperse their heat they might erode away quicker than if they were at a lower / design temp (which might be below a critical point where they don't erode at all.)
A
I reckon I could cure meat on the flank! The vermiculte plates may indeed erode quicker. Even with just 3 heater blocks up I can see a change in the box. Running it slightly air flap lower and the fire is blazing away. Heat pipes at top pre flue have not ramped up in temp. I'll weigh some blocks and see if I can get it to maintain a heating presence overnight to help with gas count in the morning as that is what I am playing for. :)

That's well said AM, a Wood fired storage heater. Our WS is excellent, efficient and parsimonious in its consumption but it is cold by the morning. Enough thermal mass slid in around it might just be emitting at 7am....
Last edited by Joeboy on Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Bugtownboy wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:31 pm Joe, can’t remember if it’s come up in the thread, but basically, you’re trying to create a form of masonry stove.

Historically, a main form of hearing in Northern and Central Europe.

Big mass of ‘stone’, long convoluted flue paths, high firing temps, slow release of stored heat.

Some incorporate ovens. Can be architecturally/aesthetically pleasing.

There a few enthusiasts doing DIY stuff and a couple of seemingly very good, modern British builders.

Quick search found this one in your neck of the woods -

http://www.stovemason.com/swedish-kakelugnar/
Thank you BTB, I will have a read. Here's one for interest.

https://permies.com/t/72030/Affordable- ... -woodstove
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Joeboy wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:03 pm That's well said AM, a Wood fired storage heater. Our WS is excellent, efficient and parsimonious in its consumption but it is cold by the morning. Enough thermal mass slid in around it might just be emitting at 7am....
Just make sure the floor can take the extra load, don't want your WBS falling through it! :o
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf