Small things matter

Wood stoves, pellets and other bio-fuels
resybaby

Re: Small things matter

Post by resybaby »

Room for more full ones, ideal :idea:
4.0kw FIT PV solar Sunnyboy 4000tl & 21 Upsolar 190w panels
5.45kw JA Solar panels & Sunsynk ECCO 3.6kw.
7 x US5000 Pylontechs.
4500l RWH
Full Biomass heating system
iBoost HW divertor
Full house internal walls insulation
600min Loft insulation
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

resybaby wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:08 am Room for more full ones, ideal :idea:
It's a challenge but someone has to! :D Off into town for a pint with an old offshore mate.

Later I might try one of these before bed.

https://discountdragon.co.uk/product/to ... ssion-ipa/

MrGus switched me onto the site a year or so ago. There are some decent prices there. Got a load of med olives in the same order.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
openspaceman

Post by openspaceman »

Moxi wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:08 am I have several EVE plugs that do just that and the monitor the power consumed and display it in the app.
I'm looking for a smartish wireless plug and transmitter combo to send an on command when a relay closes.
Morso S11
FIT
16 Sharp PV panels facing WSW 4kW
Solarmax 4200S inverter
Non FIT
3 Canadian solar DC coupled 1.75kW facing SSE
Storage
Growatt SPA3000TL BL inverter ac coupled
Growatt GBLI6532 6.5kWh lithium phosphate battery
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

openspaceman wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:49 pm
Moxi wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:08 am I have several EVE plugs that do just that and the monitor the power consumed and display it in the app.
I'm looking for a smartish wireless plug and transmitter combo to send an on command when a relay closes.
Have a look at Shelly devices.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
openspaceman

Post by openspaceman »

Stinsy wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:22 pm
Thanks, I have now looked at their website and can see switches that can be switched by an app and thence wifi but I want to switch a contactor with 2kW load remotely once a set of contacts closes some few metres away.

It probably makes more sense to just run a bell wire and find a contactor that has a 12V relay.
Morso S11
FIT
Solarmax 4200S inverter
Non FIT
Storage
ecogeorge

Post by ecogeorge »

openspaceman wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:09 pm

Thanks, I have now looked at their website and can see switches that can be switched by an app and thence wifi but I want to switch a contactor with 2kW load remotely once a set of contacts closes some few metres away.

It probably makes more sense to just run a bell wire and find a contactor that has a 12V relay.
Can you not switch the contactor with the Shelly device ?? or am i missing something ?
1750w Vertical PV micro inverters
3800w almost horizontal/south
Aarrow Becton 7 Woodburner
Dream 3kw ASHP only connected to summer Pool.
Allotment heavy clay.
1.784kw Kirk Hill
0.875kw Derril Water
0.2kwWhitelaw Brae
1kw Harlow Hydro.
AGT

Post by AGT »

Yep, the Shelly’s I have can switch maybe 16 amps I think, any more use this to switch the coil on a contactor.
openspaceman

Post by openspaceman »

ecogeorge wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:27 pm

Can you not switch the contactor with the Shelly device ?? or am i missing something ?

I have been experimenting with a cheap means of solar power diverting to my dhw immersion, I don't have an off peak tariff and my dhw tank is small and lossy so daytime heating suits.

I use the voltage sensed relay on my Victron charger, which closes dry contacts when battery voltage exceeds 54V, for a duration of 10 minutes. This should divert 300Wh into the tank. It only matters in the shoulder months as from May till end August we always have enough surplus to heat the whole tank. Currently I get a bit of exercise by running upstairs and switching the immersion on when the closing contact triggers an led. The granularity is bit coarse if I forget to switch it off when the led goes out.

I cannot see how to do this with a cheap smart switch. I also have two immersions, one heats the top 30 litres and the other the whole 100 litre tank top down. Also the immersion elements need a double pole switch or contactor.
Morso S11
FIT
Solarmax 4200S inverter
Non FIT
Storage
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

openspaceman wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:12 pm
ecogeorge wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:27 pm

I have been experimenting with a cheap means of solar power diverting to my dhw immersion, I don't have an off peak tariff and my dhw tank is small and lossy so daytime heating suits.

I use the voltage sensed relay on my Victron charger, which closes dry contacts when battery voltage exceeds 54V, for a duration of 10 minutes. This should divert 300Wh into the tank. It only matters in the shoulder months as from May till end August we always have enough surplus to heat the whole tank. Currently I get a bit of exercise by running upstairs and switching the immersion on when the closing contact triggers an led. The granularity is bit coarse if I forget to switch it off when the led goes out.

I cannot see how to do this with a cheap smart switch. I also have two immersions, one heats the top 30 litres and the other the whole 100 litre tank top down. Also the immersion elements need a double pole switch or contactor.
Why not use the “dry contacts” to switch the immersion directly if they are so-rated or via a contactor if not?

If you cannot (or don’t want to) run a cable between the two then a pair of shellys absolutely can do this.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
openspaceman

Post by openspaceman »

Stinsy wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:38 am

Why not use the “dry contacts” to switch the immersion directly if they are so-rated or via a contactor if not?
They are rated at 8A but the charger is an expensive bit of kit and the voltage drop over the distance means more copper, currently I use a 12V wall wart so it's just a matter of getting the signal to a contactor on the immersion.

If you cannot (or don’t want to) run a cable between the two then a pair of shellys absolutely can do this.
I'm obviously missing something, I did not understand they would work a a pair.

I can run a 12V signal over a bell wire but I am not an electrician so go very carefully with the 240V mains connected stuff.
Morso S11
FIT
Solarmax 4200S inverter
Non FIT
Storage