Small things matter

Wood stoves, pellets and other bio-fuels
Fintray

Re: Small things matter

Post by Fintray »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:22 pm that is really impressive. What makes it so much better than the generally-quoted COP of 3?
I think that the quoted cop of 3 is what most heat pumps are likely to achieve without much adjustment to improve the ratio.
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

I think I might be getting on top of the power management thing. 🤔

Went round in a big circle via greater volumes of water and arrived here at the close of Winter on a small teapot on stove and 800W kettle to boost. The perfect two mugs of tea solution for literally a handful of Watts

Seems simple? Took years. :D

Forecast here continues to be pish so likely a WBS cooked lamb stew tomorrow.😋

Nice side effect.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

At the flipping point in the year. Getting the lower logstore ready for filling. I aimed to curtail WBS throughput a little over last Winter. To that end I replaced the stove seals at the start of Winter to maximise the roomseal effect and also consciously ramped up the storage heater use.

We have just filled the garage woodstore which will see us through any late cold spells this side of Winter. From a start last year of around 12 cubic metres of dried logs we have five left over, maybe closer to six. The previous Winter we used the lot.

That's a bit of a milestone for us. We've successfully cleared gas off the home fuel roster for a full year and have now halved our log use. I am actually over the moon about that! :)

The extra power used to run the storage heaters and EV has been completely paid for by our wind farm generation and of course our home solar.

That means and this little addendum thought just dropped in, that our carbon count (ahem, flights. Shhhh) at home in the year and the full use of the EV is the logs we burn. :o

As I source and process our own logs via solar PV powered tools that is literally as low as we can go. Jings, I'm kind of surprised at that reality. :)

Enormously satisfying though this is it's quite close to being matched by the thought of splitting these hardwood logs which have come from a pollarded tree which was a source of annoying Winter morning shading. 8-)

Onwards & Upwards! ;)
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
richbee

Post by richbee »

Sounds good Joe - each step forward is satisfying and fun
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
3.6kW Sunsynk hybrid inverter
2x 5.12kWh Sunsynk batteries
1.6kWp Hoymiles East/West facing PV on the man cave
Ripple DW 2kW
Ripple WB 200W
AGT

Post by AGT »

Cool, I have another 3m wide log space to create this summer, to maximise our wood consumption.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

richbee wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:41 pm Sounds good Joe - each step forward is satisfying and fun
Cheers pal,

Here's what didn't get used. About 5 rows deep on the right and that whole back corner. Can see where I've marked the end of slightly damp logs with a fresh hardwood stack on top of it. Plus the garage store too.

How goes it at your place?
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
richbee

Post by richbee »

Joeboy wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:46 pm
richbee wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:41 pm Sounds good Joe - each step forward is satisfying and fun
Cheers pal,

Here's what didn't get used. About 5 rows deep on the right and that whole back corner. Can see where I've marked the end of slightly damp logs with a fresh hardwood stack on top of it. Plus the garage store too.

How goes it at your place?
Not bad thanks - not quite as organised as you are.
With working away, going on holiday and rain, still haven't fitted the 2nd pair of panels to my Hoymiles set up - sure it'll happen soon!

Quite a lot of focus on the garden and planting all the veg seeds at the moment - got loads of tiny tomato seedlings on the go, plus lots of other varieties - always nice to be this side of the equinox and into BST
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
Ripple DW 2kW
Ripple WB 200W
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Big difference when retired. Can get right into it without fripperies like earning. :lol:

Nice one on the seeds. Always a good time. We've got two dozen chilli plants started nicely.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
richbee

Post by richbee »

Joeboy wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:59 am Big difference when retired. Can get right into it without fripperies like earning. :lol:

Nice one on the seeds. Always a good time. We've got two dozen chilli plants started nicely.
Alright - don't rub it in :lol:
I'm being made redundant in September after 32 years, so trying to decide what to do then - I'm not quite financially ready to retire, but not that far off - so hoping to do something part time that will fill the gap, but allow me time to do more of what I enjoy
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
Ripple DW 2kW
Ripple WB 200W
AGT

Post by AGT »

Hope everything works out. 32 years is a long time of loyal service..