Small things matter

Wood stoves, pellets and other bio-fuels
Joeboy

Re: Small things matter

Post by Joeboy »

Fintray wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 6:22 pm
Joeboy wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 5:34 pm BTW, out of 52 predrilled holes a grand total of 1 hit a rafter end,... 1. :facepalm:

Also out the blue. I'm going to se AC/DC in July. :twisted:

Been up to measure, getting serious now. I reckon I can fly the new string via bracketry in under the two adjacent strings and drop water from the current strings onto the new one. Bit of guttering tieing back into water system as is and we'll be good.

Interested in pole anchoring type scenarios on patios that don't drive me towards excessive digging. As,

A. can't be arsed digging.
B. Nope, A pretty much says it all.
That must have taken a certain skill to miss the ends of the five rafters with all but one of those 52 screws! :whistle:

First saw AC/DC at Wembley back in 1979 supporting The Who along with The Stranglers and Nils Lofgren.

The pole is 11 foot long so you only need a small hole of 3 feet or so, just get on with it! :lol:
Yes, well... 👍 :D
12ft actually. Will be working on it post Turkey trip.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

That's the first bracket done for the top of the panel support.

Worked out well and enjoyable to do. Each bracket will be held with 4 No5 s/s screws and there will.be a minimum of 6 brackets. Got the sizes noted down so I can get close to a pro look. 😎

I've went for maximum height to hopefully allow a decent drop for water runoff.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

We've got a back corner sitting in place! Tomorrow I'll mess about with a 35mm thick small mockup of a panel edge and see if I can cheat some drop for the panels. Any drop I gain it will still be sub 1 deg fall. :facepalm:

Sitting at about 0.5deg the noo. :hysteria:

SWMBO is getting excited, many small items to be bought and design touches applied. I am extremely happy to be making her smile after all the recent death. It'll be a decent size bootroom!

If anyone has any 3mtr lengths of 3" or 4" x 2" (approx) in Aberdeenshire and wants to sell I'm more than happy to pay cash. Far rather I recycled and cash went to a forum member than pay for new at yard. Contact me if you have please, cheers!

The king post pole dig oot will be post Turkey. :)
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Joe, you could make the side brackets right angle bend just clear the top of the gutter and have another right angle bend pointing upwards and screw it to the wooden rail thereby allowing you to adjust the runoff angle of the panels.
No 3m lengths of 3 or 4 x2 here I'm afraid.
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Fintray wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 6:38 pm Joe, you could make the side brackets right angle bend just clear the top of the gutter and have another right angle bend pointing upwards and screw it to the wooden rail thereby allowing you to adjust the runoff angle of the panels.
Yep, tomorrow is first playing aboot wi it day. Your suggestion just went to No1 Ian. I'm trying to reduce overhang on the outboard side (gable end of house) and keep the panels over the gutter to keep boot room dry I am much better if I can see a thing. First thing tomorrow is see how much I can raise the rear beam by. There shall be shimming!

I'm in the running for a load of used timbers at a decent price but need one person to not show up! 🙃 fingers 🤞
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Are you going to put some sealant between the panel edges and bolt them together to stop any water getting between the panels?
3.87kWp PV
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
Morso 5kW WBS
Nissan Leaf
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Fintray wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:07 pm Are you going to put some sealant between the panel edges and bolt them together to stop any water getting between the panels?
Yep, I've bought some T shaped rubber seal. The dearest part so far is keeping it all in stainless steel. I'll order some s/s machine screws and nuts once I've seen the panel edge profile. Hopefully open and not boxed in.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Fintray wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 6:38 pm Joe, you could make the side brackets right angle bend just clear the top of the gutter and have another right angle bend pointing upwards and screw it to the wooden rail thereby allowing you to adjust the runoff angle of the panels.
Thanks for the inspiration Ian. I've managed to get 3.5drg drop. :D

Shimmed up the back by 8mm and slid the array 10cms or so over to East (gable end). This left me slot out a beam and dip the bracket/beam it into the gutter but only by about a cm.

I've used some old cuprinol wood preserver which is really excellent at its job and a couple of coats Thompson black roofseal. There's a lot more to do to strengthen that beam but at least I now know the drop is sorted. Cheers!
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Looking good so far, can't wait to see the finished article especially with the stained glass window. :xl:
3.87kWp PV
Tesla Powerwall 2
Morso 5kW WBS
Nissan Leaf
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Fintray wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 6:13 pm Looking good so far, can't wait to see the finished article especially with the stained glass window. :xl:
SWMBO.& No1 had a slight hiccup bringing the stained glass window into the house. No.glass broken but frame (which is fully lead) took a hit. 18 panes missing but apparently they are in a box. YouTube will be my friend in this. :D

Very happy with seeing the drop figure come in @ 3.5 degs! Should I hope be enough so rain clears instead of pooling on the panels. Part two after Turkey, thanks again Ian. SWMBO had a good wee time doing future design this afternoon. Any build I do of any size I like the sticks in as markers at some point. That was today.

.Image
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs