Small things matter

Wood stoves, pellets and other bio-fuels
Joeboy

Re: Small things matter

Post by Joeboy »

Bugtownboy wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 11:47 am Here you go Joe :D

Shoulder of lamb in a Yogurt, Garlic and Ras-al-Hanout marinade on a trivet of veg with stock underneath.

Will be slow cooked for 5 hours on the outside oven - covered for the first 4 then uncovered and moved to the top shelf to get a bit of lamb crackling ;)

For a family and friends bbq - son’s 38th :shock:

Weather forecast looking good.
What time should I arrive with beers? ;)
18.2kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

Any time after 14:00 :xl:

Though there might have been a couple of vino tinto had by then :)
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

resybaby wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 12:07 pm Been doing similar myself with the cabling the last couple of days.
Sunsynk installer installed the AC cable to my invertor in 4mm cable through the loft to the fuseboard, and i noticed last year it was getting fairly warm and not just on sunny days when my loft is like an oven. He'd also pushed the bulk of it through the loft in the same 20mm dia trunking as the CT clamp cable. Length around 7m. Sunsynk manual (for what its worth) says min size 6mm.
Now im no electrician at all but have never been overly happy with that, its noticably warm, so have been planning to uprate the cable and finaly got it done yesterday.

Added myself an additional 20mm trunk through which the 6mm was run, as i didnt fancy pulling the old 4mm out of the existing shared trunking incase i damaged the CT cable, it was quite tight. So have left the old 4mm cable in situ in the old trunking disconected at both ends.

All now up and running on the new 6mm and 'cool to the touch' :)

Not the tidiest of wiring jobs but what do you expect from a plumber :D

That looks great, always worth reviewing the installations on a reasonably regular basis. As they are not inert and we are only human! Cool to the touch is a good place to be. 👍

I've been gathering together my wee pile of bits for Turkish balcony micro solar installation. Made up some brackets this morning. I'll backpack out the lot mid July.

I am a big fan as we know of balcony solar. :roll: Another plus we've not mentioned is zero need for expensive rails, clamps and brackets? As panels have dropped in price a much bigger percentage of the cost is now attributed to fixings?

I can genuinely claim that the last 6 strings (including Turkey) that I have put together have cost literally a few quid all in to mount. I'm not advocating non pro rail systems for homes but garages, outbuildings, sheds downwards are all fair game for ingenuity?

Turkish system will be fixed to the rear balcony wall with leftovers from the last diy battery bank build. I'll need to buy 16 no5 50mm stainless steel screws in Marmaris as I can't backpack sharps but that's it. The rest is Wombled or hand fabricated from my own stocks. I like that. 😀
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Bugtownboy wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 1:41 pm Any time after 14:00 :xl:

Though there might have been a couple of vino tinto had by then :)
Brilliant, I'll be there.... damn! Forgot that I'm going for a pint with No1 at 3pm. Party on BTB!
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

The pooltable/dining table had been allowed to slide far too far. :(

Got into it yesterday, the stripping of the wax and oil coats that remained was a pig to do. After that, belt sander on each leaf 40 to 120 grit then finished with a 1/3rd sander up at about 180 grit.

Stained using a mix of morrels woodstain light oak 1/3 antique pine 2/3rd. Two coats applied with foam pad.

Left to dry overnight and four coats of Briwax Antique pine hand applied. Used half a half kilo tin!

I'm not sure if this is upcycling, recycling or renovation. I'm happy though and good for years again. I'll leave it 24 hours or so to cure then polish again.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

That looks as good as new again. :xl:
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
ecogeorge

Post by ecogeorge »

just needs a green baize table cloth ................ :D :D
i'll get my coat..............
1750w Vertical PV micro inverters
3800w almost horizontal/south
Aarrow Becton 7 Woodburner
Dream 3kw ASHP only connected to summer Pool.
Allotment heavy clay.
1.784kw Kirk Hill
0.875kw Derril Water
0.2kwWhitelaw Brae
1kw Harlow Hydro.
Krill

Post by Krill »

I'm not sure if this is upcycling, recycling or renovation. I'm happy though and good for years again. I'll leave it 24 hours or so to cure then polish again
Maintenance. Same with solid wood kitchen worktops, a cost of having nice things.

It's looking good :xl:
Solar PV: 6.4kW solar PV (Eurener MEPV 400W*16)
PV Inverter: Solis 6kW inverter
Batteries: 14.4kWh LiFePO4 batteries (Pylontech US5000*3)
Battery Inverter: LuxPowertek 3600 ACS*2 battery inverter
WBS: 8kW Hunter Avalon 6 Multifuel burner (wood only)
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Thanks lads,
It's curing nicely. A bit of rain through the night with wind today pulled the temps in home down a bit. Gave me the chance to run up the 2 stage 1.8kW ceramic fan heater that SWMBO conjured. I'll guess a fiver paid, maybe?

Even with the hit & miss solar today we ran at max soc, had some curtailment.... but we managed to bring the house up to 23 degs from 19.9 degs this morning using the aforementioned ceramic heater and a couple of 800W hidden SH's.

I know this reads as "duh" but it really was a bit 💩 today and there was no default to WBS. These ceramic heaters for high instant plus the SH's for deep low really are a practical working combo. No HP multiplier right enough yet sub 1kWh for the whole day.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs