Small things matter

Wood stoves, pellets and other bio-fuels
Bugtownboy

Re: Small things matter

Post by Bugtownboy »

Moxi, I’ve only got anecdotal evidence, but all the info I’ve seen is to not burn driftwood on a WBS - residual salt in the wood can be corrosive.

I can sort of see it, but, as I say, nothing definitive.
nowty

Post by nowty »

Joeboy wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:51 am Image
Nice shed roof, you know it makes sense. ;)
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Moxi wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:22 am A colleague tells me it was minus 4C on the s0uth coast around 7am, happily here in "Tropical" North Wales it was 5 degrees and the mercury is already rising towards 7 degrees outside.

19.8C in the cottage at the back (coldest) wall, high alto stratus cloud so dull ambient light but the WBS is lit drying the washing on the pulley maid and the windows upstairs are all open by about 25mm to give us some extra ventilation.

If the weather stays dry for the week I may take the kids down to the beach one afternoon to let them wander around while i collect any suitable drift wood to supplement the WBS and clear up any plastic and trash thats on the strandline. Its not much but I like to think that it helps, while we are there I can also bag up some rotting sea weed that collects against one of the rock groins and spread it on the veg beds as a top dressing to wash in some nutrients, but for now its work at the laptop while the boss has a well deserved rest with her feet up reading a book, she will be 25 Weeks pregnant with our third boy and she struggles with PGP so with the other two at nursery its heavenly and peaceful for a few hours.

Moxi
Congratulations on the new person 👏! Good Times!
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:29 am
Aye well... that would be the one I'd do a highly debatable into the spur via an inverter. Not sure how legit that would be. Its also facing the wrong way. Apart from that...
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
nowty

Post by nowty »

Joeboy wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:43 am
Aye well... that would be the one I'd do a highly debatable into the spur via an inverter. Not sure how legit that would be. Its also facing the wrong way. Apart from that...
Its nearly flat though so does not make much difference what direction it faces and generates more than steeper south facing panels in cloudy conditions.

My NE facing one goes Boom from April till Sept. I used to think I have too much generation in summer but the EVs really eat into all that spare capacity.

But maybe more more Ripple WT's, TOU tariff and more battery storage is more cost effective, things change so fast at the moment.

5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:08 am

Its nearly flat though so does not make much difference what direction it faces and generates more than steeper south facing panels in cloudy conditions.

My NE facing one goes Boom from April till Sept. I used to think I have too much generation in summer but the EVs really eat into all that spare capacity.

But maybe more more Ripple WT's, TOU tariff and more battery storage is more cost effective, things change so fast at the moment.

That's funny, just kicking back for five after loading up the garage woodstore and read this. Now looking down garden and thinking 'it's only 80 feet' you know? For the trench? Then my mind wondered 'how much headroom will I have on that Victron unit?....

Now THIS is a powerwall! :)
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Joeboy wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:56 am
nowty wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:08 am

That's funny, just kicking back for five after loading up the garage woodstore and read this. Now looking down garden and thinking 'it's only 80 feet' you know? For the trench? Then my mind wondered 'how much headroom will I have on that Victron unit?....

Now THIS is a powerwall! :)
Don't get me wrong, I can see the benefit of even just the visual. 'Check oot my panels' moment every morning when I go into the room. I expect to see around 12MWh PA with the combination of Home generation and Ripple. Not really thought about that before. 32kWh per day on a linear use (which we are most certainly not). There may be room yet! :) You go safe up there today, we've got stuff to talk about later. ;)
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

High BTB yes residual salt is always a concern but the drift wood we collect is cut and laid out in the rain before the next season and generally has a good wash through. I would expect to see a light yellow flame with a lilac edge to it if there was sodium chloride present in any quantity and the flames would be muted in height.

You are right to note it though thank you.

Thank you Joeboy, baby Freddy officially due May the fourth so a potential Jedi baby ! My 7th child and the boss’ third.

Nowty do flat panels really work well from April to October? We have dry stone walls around the cottage and I’m imagining them capped by 100W 12V panels as another place to harvest energy - appealing up here as laid flat they are less prone to our gale force winds.

Moxi
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

Moxi wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:00 pm High BTB yes residual salt is always a concern but the drift wood we collect is cut and laid out in the rain before the next season and generally has a good wash through. I would expect to see a light yellow flame with a lilac edge to it if there was sodium chloride present in any quantity and the flames would be muted in height.

You are right to note it though thank you.

Moxi
Glad you’ve got a process - suppose you get plenty of rain to help it too :shock:
nowty

Post by nowty »

Moxi wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:00 pm
Nowty do flat panels really work well from April to October? We have dry stone walls around the cottage and I’m imagining them capped by 100W 12V panels as another place to harvest energy - appealing up here as laid flat they are less prone to our gale force winds.

Moxi
Thats what my 1.7kW solar shed does, 20 degree slope facing north east, also shades terribly Nov to Feb. They are real numbers too, not just a PVGIS estimate as I have twigged them with my real life data over several years.

The numbers are average kWh per day per for each month and a total number is kWh for the whole year. I am on the South coast so further north, not quite as good but you get the idea that it ain't all bad.

And a flat roof you'd probably do a little better.

5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3