Small things matter

Wood stoves, pellets and other bio-fuels
Andy

Re: Small things matter

Post by Andy »

I think it does depend so much on the wood you burn and how your run the fire. If you smoulder on wet wood then you will block it up fast. We used to put 8 cubic meters of wood up the chimney pipe every year and it was clean as a whistle ( burley 8kw). I opened up the chimney when replacing it with a smaller fireplace so I could see in easily. There was nothing to clean.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Andy wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:48 pm I think it does depend so much on the wood you burn and how your run the fire. If you smoulder on wet wood then you will block it up fast. We used to put 8 cubic meters of wood up the chimney pipe every year and it was clean as a whistle ( burley 8kw). I opened up the chimney when replacing it with a smaller fireplace so I could see in easily. There was nothing to clean.
Thanks Andy, I have an endoscopic camera from previous RE work. I'll charge it up come Spring.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Moxi.

Since buying our woodstove (eons ago) & running it hard n' clean we have always used the "bailey blues" they are very flexible, ..cheaper simply snapped at the cast screw on section.

The blues always feel "safe" when rodding the chimney.

The phrase little & often, nah, don't go there, just rod pre & post burn season as a ritual, wet wipes to clean down the rods (blue colour also helps with that) its a messy business even with small amounts (which ours always are)

Screwfix fire cement for any bits that need it.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Errr do you have a camera looking over my shoulder Mr Gus :? I was looking at just those on the Amazon pages last night as they have the six inch brush.

I’ve got the fire cement but in fairness after a while the cement spalls the fire brick and drops out so if I’m changing the baffle I may as well drop in a new brick in that position too.

I will take a photo of the baffle for your combined amusement when the WBS is cool it has been in the wars over the years and is indicative of a few excessive firings which I’m going to ahem “place at the feet of others” when I’ve been away on work - god I hope she never reads the forum! :shock:

Moxi
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

It my birthday and so far I've got a blue elephant and a paperbrick maker both 2nd hand. Me n SWMBO have also been making firestarters. :)

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Joeboy wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:13 pm It my birthday and so far I've got a blue elephant and a paperbrick maker both 2nd hand. Me n SWMBO have also been making firestarters. :)

I like the "Forge Steel" brand - on a mallet or maul made of just wood and rubber! (assuming there isn't a metal core in the head)
2 sustainable resources though...
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
nowty

Post by nowty »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:35 pm I like the "Forge Steel" brand - on a mallet or maul made of just wood and rubber! (assuming there isn't a metal core in the head)
2 sustainable resources though...
A
But is it real rubber or oil based rubber and was the wood from a sustainable forest ? :o

Plenty of forged steel branded stuff at Nowty Towers as its a good value for money brand. :D
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Ah lads, then we moved onto the paper, cardboard & woodchips from logsizing to make our first eco brick for the WS. Wanted one of these for years! Used from ebay. 😀

Takes me back to Tommorows World, The Good Life and The Wombles. Very happy indeed.

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Trialling the new 36v twin battery pack chainsaw from Einhell. What a bit of kit, fearsome fast, silent and like the thing thru butter. Well worth the open box cost on ebay as we have the batteries.

For reference the twinpack 36v chainsaw went thru a 7" branch from a storm fallen plum tree as if it wasn't there. Not quite lightsaber territory but in the next room over.

This is also the first day where I haven't depleted the home stack soc and its been trending upwards. A Feb solar pv driven logging day! :)
Last edited by Joeboy on Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs