Small things matter

Wood stoves, pellets and other bio-fuels
Joeboy

Re: Small things matter

Post by Joeboy »

Moxi wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:28 pm Are these 18v systems ? I have a decent set of power tools and two stroke strimmer and chainsaws which are all too serviceable at present to change in fact the stihl strimmer is over thirty years old and my trusty bosh plug in hammer drill is forty two and dads metal bodied drill is so old I don’t know the maker and it’s got to have been bought by dad in the sixties so older than me and all are still as good as new so the most I can sensibly do is plan to convert across as and when tools die or as in the case of needing a good palm sander which my present tool set doesn’t have.

Moxi
Moxi, my system for powertools is 18v or 36v twin battery pack on the chainsaw. I use Einhell. Nowt wrong with Mskita either, better than Einhell I think?
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Joeboy wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:31 pm
Moxi wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:28 pm Are these 18v systems ? I have a decent set of power tools and two stroke strimmer and chainsaws which are all too serviceable at present to change in fact the stihl strimmer is over thirty years old and my trusty bosh plug in hammer drill is forty two and dads metal bodied drill is so old I don’t know the maker and it’s got to have been bought by dad in the sixties so older than me and all are still as good as new so the most I can sensibly do is plan to convert across as and when tools die or as in the case of needing a good palm sander which my present tool set doesn’t have.

Moxi
Moxi, my system for powertools is 18v or 36v twin battery pack on the chainsaw. I use Einhell. Nowt wrong with Mskita either, better than Einhell I think?
I've bought in to the Makita system. Primarily because of the range of tools available. My old NiMH DeWalt batteries were kaput and I wanted to swap to Li-ion. I had a selection of Makita mains-powered tools so I sold the very-old and well-used NiMH-compatible DeWalt 18V tools and bought Makita. I'm happy with the system. I might sell my 240V circular saw and multi-too and replace them with battery versions.

I heard that Milwaukee tools have a very comprehensive system and well-regarded quality too.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Stinsy wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:45 am
Joeboy wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:31 pm

Moxi
I've bought in to the Makita system. Primarily because of the range of tools available. My old NiMH DeWalt batteries were kaput and I wanted to swap to Li-ion. I had a selection of Makita mains-powered tools so I sold the very-old and well-used NiMH-compatible DeWalt 18V tools and bought Makita. I'm happy with the system. I might sell my 240V circular saw and multi-too and replace them with battery versions.

I heard that Milwaukee tools have a very comprehensive system and well-regarded quality too.
We had milwaukee spreads on a few systems offshore. I'd place it below Makita and Dewalt. Decent enough gear.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Gas avoidance ongoing, I love this wee single element hotplate. Dark pork, honey and garlic on a noodle bed. Noodles are going on the woodstove. :)

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Extremely poor pv day here, single digit combined poor. Fell back to the woodstove, kettle going great guns all day, pasta sauce scratch cooked, ravioli on stand by and SWMBO's eggs for salad boiling away. 😋

Storage heaters and WS have house up at 19 degs + which is roasting compared to outdoors. The battery is large enough that even at a :roll: 50% soc we will easily make the 21.30hrs tou window.
BTW, where's Mr Gus?

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
ecogeorge

Post by ecogeorge »

Being lazy and not looking back in the thread .......... what material is your woodstove top extended in ? Looks like slate ??? did you cut a cutout for the flue ? how ? Does it conduct the heat ??
Need to do the same with mine .......
George
1750w Vertical PV micro inverters
3800w almost horizontal/south
Aarrow Becton 7 Woodburner
Dream 3kw ASHP only connected to summer Pool.
Allotment heavy clay.
1.784kw Kirk Hill
0.875kw Derril Water
0.2kwWhitelaw Brae
1kw Harlow Hydro.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

ecogeorge wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:55 pm Being lazy and not looking back in the thread .......... what material is your woodstove top extended in ? Looks like slate ??? did you cut a cutout for the flue ? how ? Does it conduct the heat ??
Need to do the same with mine .......
George
Got to read the whole thread George..... :lol:

Slate pal, enough that i can 4 pot cook.conducts heats as well as the metal top or to a point where I can't see the difference.
They are slate pieces on top of the thermal bricks so all is level. Metal WS top is still exposed.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

£4 in a charity shop, SWMBO spotted. Weighs 5kg+, ready for Winter 22! :D
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

Bostin !

Love cast iron (presume it is) Dutch Oven type pans. We’ve got a few of different size/capacity.

I’m convinced cooking with cast iron, even when the inner surface is enamelled, imparts a better taste to food.

Sure this is impossible to prove, but, who cares. Long, slow cooking is such a good cooking method.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Bugtownboy wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:25 pm Bostin !

Love cast iron (presume it is) Dutch Oven type pans. We’ve got a few of different size/capacity.

I’m convinced cooking with cast iron, even when the inner surface is enamelled, imparts a better taste to food.

Sure this is impossible to prove, but, who cares. Long, slow cooking is such a good cooking method.
It is indeed cast iron and can be found in house of Fraser for £52. I much prefer SWMBO Laser eye spotting for four quid. I agree on flavor imparted, a 6 hour slow cooked curry on the WS is a taste to behold (or something like that). I look forward to detecting similar in big red. 😀
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs