Small things matter

Wood stoves, pellets and other bio-fuels
Joeboy

Re: Small things matter

Post by Joeboy »

My crystal ball remains cloudy too. Obviously hoping for the big Ripple blow.

Big Room was a nippy 18 deg at 4pm today, not anymore!. Doors open too to heat the rest of house. :)

19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Joeboy wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:18 pm I will soon be putting together my little external back boiler onto a test radiator to see what sort of heat transfer I can achieve. Got the ldea from one of the lads last year.
I’ve seen a few home brew back boilers achieved with a coil of 10mm copper pipe wrapped around the stovepipe.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Tinbum

Post by Tinbum »

Thankfully I still haven't had to draw from the grid but I did turn the pool off today and I've enabled the inverters back up to max power.
85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, 8kWh Growatt storage, 22 x US3000C Pylontech, Sofar ME3000's, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

Stinsy wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:41 pm
Joeboy wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:18 pm I will soon be putting together my little external back boiler onto a test radiator to see what sort of heat transfer I can achieve. Got the ldea from one of the lads last year.
I’ve seen a few home brew back boilers achieved with a coil of 10mm copper pipe wrapped around the stovepipe.
Is this the best way to go ?

When working efficiently, how much heat is going up the flue compared to heating the stove/surroundings ?

For the flue to function effectively, don’t you want heat ‘driving’ the flue - does taking heat out increase the risk of condensate higher up the flue ?

In reality, how much water are you going to get in the coil, transferring how much heat to radiators ?

There some stove pipes with integrated heat exchangers - again always feel uncomfortable it’s taking heat from the wrong place.
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Bugtownboy wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:22 pm
Stinsy wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:41 pm
Is this the best way to go ?

When working efficiently, how much heat is going up the flue compared to heating the stove/surroundings ?

For the flue to function effectively, don’t you want heat ‘driving’ the flue - does taking heat out increase the risk of condensate higher up the flue ?

In reality, how much water are you going to get in the coil, transferring how much heat to radiators ?

There some stove pipes with integrated heat exchangers - again always feel uncomfortable it’s taking heat from the wrong place.
I’m no expert. However it seems to be an easy install (10mm copper pipe comes in a big coil already). Lots of YouTube videos with similar installs (primarily off-grid American properties), I’ve not seen anyone measuring wattage or anything like that, but transferring a chunk of heat that would otherwise be wasted to the bedroom above has to be worthwhile.

Lots of other designs too, some look unlikely to work very well, others look ugly.

The other solution is to swap your wood burner for one with an integral boiler.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

I'll post a photo, it's a small rectangular back boiler shaped like a deck of cards. I'll just fix it to the back of stove externally, run a simple loop in to rad and see how it performs before going any further.
Last edited by Joeboy on Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Tinbum wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:48 pm Thankfully I still haven't had to draw from the grid but I did turn the pool off today and I've enabled the inverters back up to max power.
Nice one. Long may it continue for you! This is now going into the part of the year I enjoy most as gotta juggle now to avoid grid. I enjoy that! Although today was great. Washing machine on twice, battery chainsaw and electric log splitter in use for hours today.
At sundown we had 72% soc in stack, ev full, enjoyed the evening, lava lamps, tv etc dishwasher run too and now at 50% soc so all is still to the good. Now in bed with a book and electric blanket on. :)

All PV and no gas used. No chance of that even a couple of years ago. Looking fwd to a Tesla test drive in the morning. :)
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
nowty

Post by nowty »

Joeboy wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:31 pm
All PV and no gas used. No chance of that even a couple of years ago. Looking fwd to a Tesla test drive in the morning. :)
Pitty there is no German Autobann near you and the one your going to test drive is faster than this 2019 performance version.

16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Wow, the only sound was the indicator! That's some acceleration...wonder what it would do with limiter off?
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Continuing to find uses for the woodstove. Airdrying the cayenne chilli's in this case and adding a precursor to Christmas to the room. :twisted:
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs