Small things matter

Wood stoves, pellets and other bio-fuels
Bugtownboy

Re: Small things matter

Post by Bugtownboy »

Sunrisemike wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:47 pm Holm Oak. great firewood. Cut it when it's green, blunts the chain in no time when seasoned!
Gave me encouragement when the axe almost bounced off a log when I wanted to split it for MC.

Although I’ve burnt/processed oak before, the Holm Oak does appear to be denser/harder again.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

SWMBO made these. Two plates worth cooked entirely on the WBS. Beef olives, tatties, red cabbage, carrots and broccoli, along with beef stew gravy. Sadly none for me. Both going to No1 son. :twisted:

19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
spread-tee

Post by spread-tee »

Blimey Joe, do you have to post piccys of that BEFORE we've eaten?? :D

Desp
Blah blah blah
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

spread-tee wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:25 pm Blimey Joe, do you have to post piccys of that BEFORE we've eaten?? :D

Desp
Sorry! I saw it and thought 'wow, mighty'. :lol:
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

Nowt, wrong with that Joe ;)

Big shout out to Mrs JB. Really embracing the lifestyle change :D
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Joeboy wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:44 pm
spread-tee wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:25 pm Blimey Joe, do you have to post piccys of that BEFORE we've eaten?? :D

Desp
Sorry! I saw it and thought 'wow, mighty'. :lol:
Saw it and thought your lad must be hungry! :o
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

We had DS call in on the way back home for supper. Two plates is nothing :shock:

I remember being like that in my 20’s (he’s 36) - unfortunately, my metabolism hasn’t kept up with my appetite :lol:
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

These past few months without kiddo around has made me boringly regimented as to cooking food, with a lot less haddock & a lot more rice, salmon & bushels of brocolli so that wife will eat more healthily even though it is late at night.

The positive being a lot less processed bread, the downside, way less mackerel on toast breakfasts. ..less butter though.

The other day I sous vide 2 bags of nothing more than liberally garlic powdered bone in chicken thighs at 63 ? c for a few hours before crisp finishing them (colour & bite) ..sampled one when cooling late at night the moist but not heavily stringed meat ..flavoured salt on the skin to adhere.

Considering that was intended for the dogs I don't think it will be shredded for them, going to us instead, certainly makes for better portion control & 4 veg to one meat ratio, ..I think I'm over cooking whole birds for a while as that really delivered, the connective tissue cooked well with no awkward.gelatinous bits left over, just need to tweak the airfryer time.(doesn't help when you cook for 8.20pm plating up & she walks in at 8.45)

The downside, is that the now heavily garlic laden water needed a premature change (garlic permeates soft plastic too easily) ..anyone know if it is ok for my tomato plants? ..I was able to cook some eggs in the water with the chicken ready for a simple on toast meal later this week. ..marinating the cheap salmon offcuts (as per sweet & sticky the other week) I get to warm the eggs for a meal & cook the salmon off same time ..or slap it straight in the a/fryer

I do miss a rich & creamy "heart attack" mashed potato generally opting to microwave steam my veg last minute, but anything for a quiet life, seeing joes piled high plate did make me miss it, ..says the man who had flaked salmon , seaweed, sesame + steamed rice for breakfast 😆

Our daughter became potato adverse for maybe 10 years after having a few potatoes in one week & swearing off them, so it's something I might need to re-visit when she gets back in april, ..a few double baked (scooped & filled) should do the trick. ..have you done that in the A/fryer yet joe? ..bloke food par excellence that can be batch made for a couple of re-heated fridge meals,

Does anyone else's dogs appreciate the broccoli stalk? ours go mad for it in the same way they do apples (eaty-balls) I cannot believe the wife threw them into veg bin all those years, great fibre, vits + minerals.

When is aubergine season here folks? I went against my (rotten) judgement a few weeks ago & had immense pleasure from a "too good to go" M&S bag which had stuffed aubergine (gastro range)? that was incredibly good (had me kicking myself as another long avoided veg) longing for a decent "get over it" ratatouille to break the back of another one of my own veggies pre-conceptions, ..& yes, I did air fry that delicious sucker

Last of my winter stored carving pumpkin & several squashes in the larder .. do I halloween carve it or eat it. (kitchen temps rising to 18 yesterday) preservation borderline dicey.

I'm going to try it sous vide (2 hrs, 85c) all in a bag & see how it fares, suffice to say I love joes wbs heat n' eat but I donr have the space.on ours 😐 so low energy mainly insulated container cooking is our best option compared to an electric oven.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

A personal bucket list ticked off today. Flint and steel fire start! Woohoo! 8-) :lol:

Good on ye for finding a way Gus.

Also continued with Winter 23 wood prep. It's a definite benefit working this way as I get older. Keeps me in decent nick (got my 6,000 steps in carrying heavy logs). Should complete front woodstore fill by tomorrow and it will be first up to use Winter 23.

I had a nice wee moment at the end of the day. Sweating a fair bit and this wee breeze appeared and blew across the back of my neck. I was looking at the front woodstore at the time (been loading it) and just thought, that's working away now 24/7. A nice thought? :D

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
openspaceman

Post by openspaceman »

Well you can fix the van suspension after overloading it but you cannot get a new heart if you over do it.

I got given a garmin fitness watch which I never used but decided to give it a try and was surprised to see my heart rate hitting 170 chopping logs, I keep it down to 150 now, just in case.
Morso S11
FIT
16 Sharp PV panels facing WSW 4kW
Solarmax 4200S inverter
Non FIT
3 Canadian solar DC coupled 1.75kW facing SSE
Storage
Growatt SPA3000TL BL inverter ac coupled
Growatt GBLI6532 6.5kWh lithium phosphate battery