Small things matter

Wood stoves, pellets and other bio-fuels
Joeboy

Re: Small things matter

Post by Joeboy »

RE and smooth processing in action and then some. Tram from Edinburgh St Andrews Square out to airport, back packs only so up the stairs Lickey split through security. Total time elapsed from St Andrews Square to being airside? 45 minutes :D

From there it was Gin shopping with 1ltr Tanquary £14.99 and Tanquary Lime Rangpur £19.99. 2 ltrs each :twisted:
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

No intention of renting out ED location of your property empire for the fringe festival at all joe?
(i'm curious as to how crazy the prices are & what it could get you in terms of a regular installation product from the duration after tax etc.. must be a nice chunk towards a professional install & a means of offsetting some renewable renovations for many in Edinburgh over a few years (if they can de-camp on other relatives & friends that is) but offset by having to find their own temporary lodgings over the same peak period.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Mr Gus wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:47 pm No intention of renting out ED location of your property empire for the fringe festival at all joe?
(i'm curious as to how crazy the prices are & what it could get you in terms of a regular installation product from the duration after tax etc.. must be a nice chunk towards a professional install & a means of offsetting some renewable renovations for many in Edinburgh over a few years (if they can de-camp on other relatives & friends that is) but offset by having to find their own temporary lodgings over the same peak period.
Wouldn't do it, large money to be made and good fortune to those that do! 👌 About £1,800pm rental for this place. God knows the Fringe prices. I'm just happy to be there. :D

Just checked, £660 pw in Leith for a 1bed flat so call it £1,500 pw in Stockbridge for a 2 bed during Fringe? :o :twisted:

Strangely enough, I walked past this business this morning on the walk to tram.
https://www.factotum.co.uk/edinburgh-fe ... mmodation/
Madness. :roll:
Last edited by Joeboy on Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Does it not make you think that canny green groups (those willing) could get together & plan temporary habitation allowing for a quick fringe seasonal one one off " rental-buck" off the back of temporary high price demand rental, ..then host someone else to do the same to accommodate an install for them next year?

Incidentally what restrictions do you have on the new place for renewables based on "historic" edinburgh?
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Mr Gus wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:04 pm Does it not make you think that canny green groups (those willing) could get together & plan temporary habitation allowing for a quick fringe seasonal one one off " rental-buck" off the back of temporary high price demand rental, ..then host someone else to do the same to accommodate an install for them next year?
I'm sure it happens. I hope to have a wander through the Fringe next year.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

As displayed earlier, I am down to one solar panel and for ease of use I've fixed it in place on lower South facing balcony. It will be charging from around 07.00hrs to about 14.00 hrs. I'll try and keep two power bricks plugged in and see if we can surf the solar 5V edge for the time here. :twisted:

The 5vdc to 12vdc step up unit is working well and my comms to you are being powered by solar! This is absolutely epic and means a lot to me, proves that even in non permanent installations a difference can be made if people make the little effort required. 👌

Started with 92% soc about 10.30 this morning At 17.00 the black brick of enormous network power is reading 78% soc. 2.5% soc per hour or 1,500mAh per hour at 5V.

Also listening to global player smooth chill on the Amazon echo through the solar network box. That will be next up to be brought fully off grid.

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

I’m suprised you haven’t gotten a local chap to sling a panel or two on the roof!
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Joe said some time ago that he wasn't going to go bonkers with the Turk apt, but I got the impression the other day, having stuck up the porch panel that, "he's weakening" :lol: ..care to comment on tweaking ideas Joe?

(This is his equivalent of a crack addiction, asking him to sit still is likely to develop a facial tic) :twisted:
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Mr Gus wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:54 am Joe said some time ago that he wasn't going to go bonkers with the Turk apt, but I got the impression the other day, having stuck up the porch panel that, "he's weakening" :lol: ..care to comment on tweaking ideas Joe?

(This is his equivalent of a crack addiction, asking him to sit still is likely to develop a facial tic) :twisted:
Downstairs this morning and after 24hrs the powerbrick was reading 29% soc from a start of 73%. I can get 2.27 days network box power out of a fully charged brick based on that.

The 29% brick is now charging on its own to see what it can gain from 11am to shade time.

A brick reading 85% soc which was charging yesterday is now powering the network box. It was hot at 85% whereas Mr 79% had been in a drawer for 12 weeks.

Will there be a 44% drain on this hot brick, who knows but I'm learning to appreciate 12V drawdown on 5V bricks in a real world application.

At 44% per 24hr cycle I'll be able to see if watching Netflix significantly ups the load on the network box this evening.
1.833% soc per hour is the working figure with phones and net radio on.

There are multiple reasons why I'm not going for a fixed install here but the main one is that I need to be active in some small engineering way pretty much all of the time. I enjoy it immensely and doing a fixed install would take that away a little too fast.

Who else sits down to work out the load figure for Netflix streaming. :D
P.S If someone has done this already please don't burst my bubble! :lol:

Really enjoying the balcony swamp cooler too, a simple yet effective tool of low load.

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy