Small things matter

Wood stoves, pellets and other bio-fuels
Joeboy

Re: Small things matter

Post by Joeboy »

Stinsy wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:47 am
Joeboy wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:10 am Bought a T&G Bluetooth speaker from a local shop this morning. Main reason was a music upgrade for my mobile phone. Hoped it would be picked up by the panel too.

Woohoo, complete panel speaker upgrade! Adds a nice wee bass punch and voice clarity.

What are you watching? Looks “interesting”! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Probably game of thrones?
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

I had another wee read up on the Tesla V4's and from there I wondered if any sites were open on the older chargers for my Ioniq 5?

The choice in Scotland isnt exactly vast. Aviemore or Dundee. :roll:

Handily I'll be in Dundee Friday morning so I've updated my card on the app from my cancelled Y order and I'll give it a whirl. :D

150kW, so should be fast. Help bung Elon a couple of bob for Space X. The app is slick and fast. All 12 chargers in Scotland open to non Tesla are working so that's a good sign. ;)

I like the idea 'Idle fees'. Be responsible, own your behaviour and pay for it (or not). 👏
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

A sequence of events this morning involving time difference and multiple people showering back home has allowed me to run the HWT immersion coil for 4.5hrs continuously at 2.845kW which is 12.8kWh stored energy.

Made me reflect on "Don't underestimate the energy storage capacity of other equipment". Doesn't exactly trip off the tongue.

There's now some headroom in the batterystack to fill. :D

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Joeboy wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:11 am A sequence of events this morning involving time difference and multiple people showering back home has allowed me to run the HWT immersion coil for 4.5hrs continuously at 2.845kW which is 12.8kWh stored energy.

Made me reflect on "Don't underestimate the energy storage capacity of other equipment". Doesn't exactly trip off the tongue.

There's now some headroom in the batterystack to fill. :D

I'm keen to relieve the combi of DHW duty and install a cylinder with immersion. There are challenges though:

- In summer with heating off we consume 30-50kWh of gas per month, all of which is DHW (no gas cooking). Even assuming my combi is woefully inefficient I can't justify the infrastructure investment against future savings. I'm currently paying 7.5p/kWh for off-peak electric and c. 4p/kWh for gas.
- Our DHW needs vary spectacularly from one day to the next. If no one showers that day we might use none! But we might have 4 people showering and on very rare occasions we use our mahoosive bath.
- While we do export 30-80kWh a month in summer, most of this is when we are away and wouldn't use the DHW.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Stinsy wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:34 pm I'm keen to relieve the combi of DHW duty and install a cylinder with immersion. There are challenges though:
- In summer with heating off we consume 30-50kWh of gas per month, all of which is DHW (no gas cooking). Even assuming my combi is woefully inefficient I can't justify the infrastructure investment against future savings. I'm currently paying 7.5p/kWh for off-peak electric and c. 4p/kWh for gas.
- Our DHW needs vary spectacularly from one day to the next. If no one showers that day we might use none! But we might have 4 people showering and on very rare occasions we use our mahoosive bath.
- While we do export 30-80kWh a month in summer, most of this is when we are away and wouldn't use the DHW.
If you are getting a new cylinder anyway, have you considered solar thermal (tubes) as well? We have seen some being sold on s/h here, and they are far more efficient than PV... although it does introduce another system. Most people's prejudice against them is because they require a new cylinder.

Mine have worked faultlessly for 20 years now and they would be good for husbanding your electrons in the shoulder months.
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:02 pm
Stinsy wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:34 pm I'm keen to relieve the combi of DHW duty and install a cylinder with immersion. There are challenges though:
If you are getting a new cylinder anyway, have you considered solar thermal (tubes) as well? We have seen some being sold on s/h here, and they are far more efficient than PV... although it does introduce another system. Most people's prejudice against them is because they require a new cylinder.

Mine have worked faultlessly for 20 years now and they would be good for husbanding your electrons in the shoulder months.
A
Going on those figures it's a no brainer not to Stinsy. Any potential for a 500W inline heater or similar on a hot water line?

My family of 4 apart from me are hyper consumers of water in the shower. Girls are volume over time whereas son is el scorchio over less time. End result is the same though!

I think there is certainly room in the world for solar thermal.

I really enjoy that once the hwt has natural convection mixed I can squeeze in another wee bit. Batteries charging well and storage heaters kicking in at strategic locations defo make the difference and negate any WBS or GCH use in evening. 8-)

Now seeing as low as 17.2 degs in home if we have a poor run of days and no SH's. FF still too the off position! :D

Stinsy, what sort of percentage PV generation do you export PA?
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Joeboy wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:17 pm Stinsy, what sort of percentage PV generation do you export PA?
I export about 500kWh a year. Which seems like a lot. But most of it happens when I’m on holiday.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Stinsy wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:27 pm
Joeboy wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:17 pm Stinsy, what sort of percentage PV generation do you export PA?
I export about 500kWh a year. Which seems like a lot. But most of it happens when I’m on holiday.
Not much to do about that then. I preheat the home starting about 3 to 6 days before we return. After a month away it takes quite a bit of activity to heat soak it again.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
AGT

Post by AGT »

Never mind….. soon be storage heater time😀
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

AGT wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:12 pm Never mind….. soon be storage heater time😀
We started on timed SH's yesterday. Just landed in Edinburgh, waiting on the bus. Its a bit nippy! :D
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs