WBS Loading valve

Wood stoves, pellets and other bio-fuels
ecogeorge

WBS Loading valve

Post by ecogeorge »

Just aquired a 250 litre thermal store with more connections than i can fathom at the moment :D
On an infamous action site there is this ......https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124841279631
Anymore got good or bad experience of Laddomats ?? last wood burner i installed (15 yrs ago) i used a loading valve/central heating pump /differential controller........
But this looks tidy ... ??
George
1600w Vertical PV micro inverters
2000w almost horizontal/south
Aarrow Becton 7 Woodburner
Dream 3kw ASHP only connected to summer Pool.
Allotment heavy clay.
1.784kw Kirk Hill
0.875kw Derril Water
0.2kwWhitelaw Brae
1kw Harlow Hydro.
openspaceman

Re: WBS Loading valve

Post by openspaceman »

We didn't use laddermats for back end protection but something very similar on a 25kW pellet boiler for 8 flats in Brixton. I would definitely recommend them as it prevents very cold water being returned to the heat exchanger which can have a quenching effect on the combustion. It should be entirely automatic, just like the thermostat on a car it only blends in cold water once the boiler local circuit is up to about 60C.

The rest of the system was very problematic as it was incorporated with a solar thermal roof and badly implemented such that the boiler was effectively held on permanently.
Morso S11
FIT
16 Sharp PV panels facing WSW 4kW
Solarmax 4200S inverter
Non FIT
3 Canadian solar DC coupled 1.75kW facing SSE
Storage
Growatt SPA3000TL BL inverter ac coupled
Growatt GBLI6532 6.5kWh lithium phosphate battery
ecogeorge

Post by ecogeorge »

Thank you for your comments.
Future heat inputs will probably be ashp on the solar coil in the btm and surplus pv via inbuilt immersion.
I shall control laddomat with a flue stat .......I think :?
George
Allotment heavy clay.
1.784kw Kirk Hill
0.875kw Derril Water
0.2kwWhitelaw Brae
1kw Harlow Hydro.
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

I have no personal experience but I know 2 things:
  • Laddermats are highly regarded.
  • When designing a system there will be endless temptations to make it more complicated. You should resist these temptations where possible.
The simplest way to run radiators and DHW from a boiler stove is with a simple circulation pump and injector T. If you want to save energy from your evening burn to heat the house up in the morning (when the fire is out) you’ll need a (big) thermal store and a laddomat can be useful in this situation.

You should pay heed to part L of the building regs, many designs you see online are European of origin and do not comply with part L.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
spread-tee

Post by spread-tee »

We don't use a loading valve on our system, and as we burn every night (almost) during the heating season, we just have a pair of tank stats that never let the thermal store drop below 40 deg C it only looses a couple of degrees overnight. My reasoning for this was, as the circuit between the WBS and the TS is thermosyphonic it doesn't need any electrics and is fail safe if any pumps stop working.

Desp
Blah blah blah
ecogeorge

Post by ecogeorge »

My understanding is that the Laddomat will thermosyphon in the event of a power failure -very important as power failures are usually in bad weather when you need a fire !
George
Allotment heavy clay.
1.784kw Kirk Hill
0.875kw Derril Water
0.2kwWhitelaw Brae
1kw Harlow Hydro.