Rear flue or top flue for better draw?

Wood stoves, pellets and other bio-fuels
Bugtownboy

Re: Rear flue or top flue for better draw?

Post by Bugtownboy »

CharlieB, presume you have problems when the fire is up and running well ? Few thoughts -

Is the flue outlet above the ridge line ?

Is the flue outlet on the lee side of the roof, ie, not actually on the same side as the prevailing wind with the ridge between the wind and flue outlet ?

Does it work better if you crack open a door or window in the room with the fire ?

Is there a dedicated air source in the room with the fire ?

Is the house in a valley/dip ?
CharlieB

Post by CharlieB »

Many thanks all!

Trying to answer lots of questions together. (I thought I'd keep it simple by asking just one in-principle question!)

It's a Morso squirrel stove. Reasonably new.
Not sure about flue lining tbh (we moved in recently. Stove was installed by previous tenants). It's a fireplace installation (ie flue is either chimney or inside a chimney) and looks to have been professionally installed.
Flue top is well above roof-line of the extension it's in, but below the roof-line of main house. So a classic grey area on that one.
Problem is mostly at lighting. Generally once it's lit it's fine.

Yes, I currently do some of the things suggested to make the best of it, but it's a real pain to not be able to light it perhaps once a week.

Overall, it sounds like moving to top exit is unlikely on its own to solve the problem, but flue cowl of some sort just might. I will look into both.* (Tbh we kind of want to push the stove back into the hearth a bit in any case.)

Thanks as always to Camelotians/Navitroids.

C

* I'll start a different thread about anti-downdraft cowls if I decide to go there. This has got long already!
11kW Evoco wind turbine
Woodstoves
Small Firewood business
A little bit of solar thermal
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

CharlieB wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:06 pm Many thanks all!

Trying to answer lots of questions together. (I thought I'd keep it simple by asking just one in-principle question!)

It's a Morso squirrel stove. Reasonably new.
Not sure about flue lining tbh (we moved in recently. Stove was installed by previous tenants). It's a fireplace installation (ie flue is either chimney or inside a chimney) and looks to have been professionally installed.
Flue top is well above roof-line of the extension it's in, but below the roof-line of main house. So a classic grey area on that one.
Problem is mostly at lighting. Generally once it's lit it's fine.

Yes, I currently do some of the things suggested to make the best of it, but it's a real pain to not be able to light it perhaps once a week.

Overall, it sounds like moving to top exit is unlikely on its own to solve the problem, but flue cowl of some sort just might. I will look into both.* (Tbh we kind of want to push the stove back into the hearth a bit in any case.)

Thanks as always to Camelotians/Navitroids.

C

* I'll start a different thread about anti-downdraft cowls if I decide to go there. This has got long already!
Just do what I do when I get the cold air coming down the flue, prepare your firelighters/kindling then use a hot air gun to blow hot air (max setting) into the stove at the point the flue gases leave the firebox and enter the flue section. Just a few minutes of this is enough to warm the flue enough to stop any downdraft, now light the fire and you should have no further problems getting it going. The anti-downdraft cowl will also help to reduce/prevent any smoke being blown into the room during periods of high winds.
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf